Schedule changes for BBC Radio 4

(06-03-2024, 05:00 PM)Keith Wrote:  On a related scheduling note, the BBC have just released a press release advising that The Now Show is to have it's final series in Spring after 25 years.
www.bbc.co.uk 
A bit of a mercy killing, it's been a bit tired for a while and lacking the energy it once had. Not listened for a while, partly because of the delayed Friday Night Comedy podcast feed.

Their new podcast sounds promising, I'm a long time fan of Punt and Dennis and sounds like it'll be a lot more of them as a pair than currently

It still does feel like a great loss to the network, though. I wonder what'll be replacing it.

Relating to the rest of the schedule changes, it's fair enough it really could be a lot worse.

If they were really cash-strapped I wouldn't mind them extending a few other programmes. Wink
Money Box, GQT, and The Life Scientific spring to mind for me.
It always feels like these programmes run out of time when listening, TLS is especially dear to my heart as it inspired my choice of career.
An added bonus is that an extended version of those programmes perhaps won't be so jarring due to the nature of the programmes.

I'll miss The Food Programme on Sundays, Sheila Dillon is a joy to listen to although sadly not something I'd seek out specifically
With the extension of DI Discs on Sunday, The Archers Omnibus will likely finish around quarter past twelve.
Will they have a news briefing then, or will it be straight into the repeat of Monday night's comedy.
If they go straight from Discs to The Archers, that could be two TOTHs void of pips or news!

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...

(07-03-2024, 09:25 AM)AndrewP Wrote:  It still does feel like a great loss to the network, though. I wonder what'll be replacing it.
Hopefully there'll be something, it was the direct replacement for Weekending, so it's the end of a long tradition of that sort of show on a Friday - both were reponsible for bringing in new writing and performing talent
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AndrewP, News Engineer

Tweet of the Day will be axed on weekdays, with Farming Today being extended marginally.

www.telegraph.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • scottishtv

New weekday schedules are online: www.bbc.co.uk 

Book of the Week at 11.45am.
Unclear where any repeat of In Our Time will be. Maybe Wed 8pm. Repeats of the 9am discussions seems generally more complex than currently.

I don't quite understand the reasoning behind this.
I doubt many people would care that it's a repeat, I've known it's been so for years but still enjoy it for a little bit of peace before the madness of Today.

In any case the argument that most broadcasts are repeats doesn't really stand if you consider the fact that Something Understood has been purely repeats for a number of years now too - some of them much older than Tweet of the Day!

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...

Farming Today is made in Birmingham isn't it? Would it be too cynical of me to suggest that an extra 10 minutes of regional content per day might help with quotas?

(Although I guess Natural History at Bristol might well be involved in Tweet of the Day)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • lookoutwales

That's a shame. Without Tweet of the Day, I'd have never woken up to a Horned Screamer

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 3 users Like scottishtv's post:
  • AndrewP, Keith, Stuart

(18-03-2024, 08:04 PM)AndrewP Wrote:  I don't quite understand the reasoning behind this.
I doubt many people would care that it's a repeat, I've known it's been so for years but still enjoy it for a little bit of peace before the madness of Today.

In any case the argument that most broadcasts are repeats doesn't really stand if you consider the fact that Something Understood has been purely repeats for a number of years now too - some of them much older than Tweet of the Day!

It's an old joke. Especially now tweets are called posts. And removing it fits with the pattern of generally simplifying the schedule.

Within the past hour, Radio Today has confirmed that Radio 4 intends to switch off its medium wave frequencies and end its separate schedule for LW by 15 April 2024. Daily Service and the extended edition of Yesterday in Parliament will be moved to BBC Radio 4 Extra from 1 April. Test Match Special will continue to be broadcast uninterrupted on Radio 5 Sports Extra.

As Radio 4 will no longer be available on medium wave, this also means an end to the relay frequencies listed below:

Aberdeen – 1449 MW
Belfast – 720 MW
Carlisle – 1485 MW
Cornwall – 756 MW
Enniskillen – 774 MW
London – 720 MW
Londonderry – 720 MW
Newcastle – 603 MW
Plymouth – 774 MW

radiotoday.co.uk