That's TV and Chart Show Music Channels

Couldn't find an established thread for discussing the music channels that That's TV run, apart from the discussion about the entertainment channels in the Industry News local tv thread, so here's one…

Alongside their existing 60s, 80s and 90s channels, it seems that including, or in addition to, acquiring the former Trace Vault channel slot of Sky, That's have also acquired the 'Chart Show' brand, today launching 'Chart Show Retro', essentially just a mix of the 80s and 90s music played on the other channels.

It's been testing for the last week and a half, and it's interesting to see how they've altered the look. Originally, the idents were modelled in the style of the old ITV Chart Show, using the same music with a recreated logo and early 90s looking 3D models of the rollercoaster, bumper cars, space rocket 'thingys', but now the channel has launched, they're using some of the more recent mid 2010s idents used on both Chart Show TV and Chart Show Dance, just with some new music.

They also tested a 'Play' graphic in a sort of VHS style at the start of videos before the lower right song information appeared, though they look to have removed it before launching

youtu.be 

I've been watching this channel off the EPG for some time and been really enjoying the selection of music (80s/90s).

The branding seems a bit mixed right now, the logo on the Sky EPG is in the older ITV style and matched the idents used pre-launch. The idents are, as you say, the Chart Show TV ones from the mid-2010s with that logo. The onscreen DOG seems to be also from Chart Show TV but an earlier one from the mid-2000s I think. (EDIT: Actually it's not the same DOG but a recreation)

I wonder whether we'll see more Chart Show branded channels in future though. Or even rebranding the existing That's channels to be under the Chart Show name?

Since this is about That's in general, I can't help but think That's TV is unsure of it's audience and messes far too much with it's scheduling. They seem to acquire a lot of old repeats of youth shows, but still air old classics like the Benny Hill Show, or worse, throw out the reruns and still hog them, like the whole press buzz of them rerunning Home and Away until they didn't. It either wants to be Granada Plus, or a more younger skewing Dave. It can't be both.

Doesn't help that That's TV 2, which was supposed to allow them to repeat more classic programming has turned out to just repeat the same programming as their regular channel. And it's almost like That's have completely forgotten that their whole purpose and existence was to be local. And the adverts are all the typical local ads that couldn't afford to pay for the big channels. If Talking Pictures TV is meant to be endearing running their channel from a shed, I dread to think how That's TV operates.