S4C Programming

(20-04-2024, 09:01 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Quite surprised Prynhawn Da continues to survive though I guess it sharing a studio and probably production tem with Heno keeps the costs down.

The current look is nearly 12 years old - and there's a story behind that.

Tinopolis won back the contract to produce the two magazine shows in 2012, but they had to make stringent cutbacks such as losing their Friday show and closing their district office in Caernarfon (which has a small crew producing items from the northern half of Wales)

The result upon launch was a decidedly low-budget version of Heno (it had been going out as 'Wedi 7' for several years) more based on studio-based tabloid chat, and with a 10pm repeat slot to boot. This was how it looked.

www.youtube.com 

But it was so badly received (even Tinopolis hated what they were putting out) that within two months, they revamped the whole thing again - format, titles, graphics, studio, even presenters (a friend of mine was one of them - she didn't hang around long)

And somehow, they also managed to reopen their Caernarfon base (Galeri, from where they occasionally present shows) and rehire its staff. This was one of the first trails for the re-revamped Heno.

www.youtube.com 

(20-04-2024, 10:51 PM)BroadcastWales Wrote:  As you say, they used to produce the weather until the BBC took it back when they moved to Central Square.

Tinopolis do produce Ralio from there, and Pawb a'i Farn, but similar to Question Time that's mostly filmed out on the road.

The weather contract did belong to ITV Wales for a while - think they picked it up first when it was tendered out (as per much of the output) after years of being produced in-house by Pres.

I can remember Derek Brockway popping up one Sunday to do the forecasts (as part of a Welsh learning challenge or some such)

Pawb a'i Farn was also a BBC programme - and a debate programme in the more traditional vein - before shifting to a youth-oriented format under Tinopolis.
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • BroadcastWales, RhysJR

Isn't this a bit more than just a set revamp as they are talking about a new studio? I thought there were plans to move to a brand new building/studio about 5 minutes away. Tinopolis got planning permission in 2021 to move their offices there and create a large new full height studio. Here's the Google Maps view of the old Crown Buildings www.google.co.uk 

However I can't see any development on the new building in late 2023, so I don't know what happened to those plans. The current studio has windows looking out onto the street. My guess is that those won't be in the new studio, unless they fake them This Morning-style.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dafydd's post:
  • RhysJR

(20-04-2024, 11:56 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  The weather contract did belong to ITV Wales for a while - think they picked it up first when it was tendered out (as per much of the output) after years of being produced in-house by Pres.

I can remember Derek Brockway popping up one Sunday to do the forecasts (as part of a Welsh learning challenge or some such)

Pawb a'i Farn was also a BBC programme - and a debate programme in the more traditional vein - before shifting to a youth-oriented format under Tinopolis.

Not sure if this is what you were referring to, but here's a clip of Derek doing a Welsh forecast to teach Welsh phrases back in 2017. Not sure if this actually aired on TV.
www.youtube.com 

On a similar note Carol Vorderman did a forecast from Llanelli as part of her episode of the Welsh learner series 'Iaith ar Daith' (an abridged version with English voiceover in the YouTube clip below). I think the full programme had a bit more behind the scenes from inside Tinopolis but alas that's not availabl on S4C Clic or BBC iPlayer any more.

twitter.com 

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • DE88

No, I'm thinking back many years before that - think it might have been c. 2006, while Pres was still producing the weather.

Derek's been a Welsh learner in some capacity or other for the best part of 20 years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • RhysJR

(21-04-2024, 12:31 AM)dafydd Wrote:  Isn't this a bit more than just a set revamp as they are talking about a new studio? I thought there were plans to move to a brand new building/studio about 5 minutes away. Tinopolis got planning permission in 2021 to move their offices there and create a large new full height studio. Here's the Google Maps view of the old Crown Buildings www.google.co.uk 

However I can't see any development on the new building in late 2023, so I don't know what happened to those plans. The current studio has windows looking out onto the street. My guess is that those won't be in the new studio, unless they fake them This Morning-style.

Those plans fell through a while back. They're staying in their current building.

I understand the new set will be in one of their other back studios. They're leaving the street side studio with the windows.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BroadcastWales's post:
  • dafydd

(21-04-2024, 12:44 PM)BroadcastWales Wrote:  I understand the new set will be in one of their other back studios. They're leaving the street side studio with the windows.

Makes sense. They had previously used it for a not entirely successful 'chat show' with Owain Wyn Evans - www.facebook.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes dafydd's post:
  • BroadcastWales

Here's a first glimpse of the new look. Out with the reds and yellows - and the streets of downtown Llanelli...

newyddion.s4c.cymru 
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • BroadcastWales, RhysJR

The new Prynhawn Da has just launched, new theme music, new blue intro and new nice looking studio too.
A lot of blue and white in the graphics for the intro.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Edogawa Ranpo's post:
  • BroadcastWales

(22-04-2024, 02:11 PM)Edogawa Ranpo Wrote:  The new Prynhawn Da has just launched, new theme music, new blue intro and new nice looking studio too.
A lot of blue and white in the graphics for the intro.

It all looked very polished, nice and modern. It seems both Prynhawn Da and Heno will have unique looks to distinguish them more, which I think is a good idea.

Prynhawn Da has its own sofas, while Heno will exclusively use the new orange sofa.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BroadcastWales's post:
  • lookoutwales

(22-04-2024, 03:20 PM)BroadcastWales Wrote:  It all looked very polished, nice and modern. It seems both Prynhawn Da and Heno will have unique looks to distinguish them more, which I think is a good idea.

Prynhawn Da has its own sofas, while Heno will exclusively use the new orange sofa.

First edition of the new look Prynhawn Da is now available on iPlayer and S4C Clic.
www.bbc.co.uk