Children's Television Nostalgia

(15-03-2024, 11:18 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  I remember it well - it was quite a good channel, to be fair.

Carlton Kids was kind of ahead of its time in that it had lots of archive ITV output (i.e. Worzel Gummidge, Children's Ward etc.) that would have been lapped up when CITV's Old Skool Weekend came around.

A lot of the in-vision Pres was pre-rec'd from Ealing - and in some cases, most of the same links would be reused every day ad nauseum for strands like Chuckarama (which usually showed Ludwig and the 1950s ATV version of Robin Hood) and Tiny Time.

Angelica Bell and Naomi Wilkinson were also among the presenters, IIRC.

Towards the end, most of the strands were axed save for Tiny Time - but I honestly think had it launched a bit further down the line, it would have stood a chance.

Now stop me if I'm being way too positive about a Carlton channel.

Jamie Rickers (of Toonattik fame) was also one of the presenters of the channel (unsure what block though).

(16-03-2024, 03:29 PM)Tola Wrote:  Jamie Rickers (of Toonattik fame) was also one of the presenters of the channel (unsure what block though).

I wasn't aware Carlton Kids even had presentation. I knew it was definitely gone by the end of the channel's run and replaced by out-of-vision announcements over the idents. I'm also surprised that barely any of the Carlton-branded digital channels made it to the ITV Digital relaunch, by then the only channels left were CFN (which didn't last too long after) and Carlton Cinema.

They were doomed from the start by not being carried on Sky. Of course had they been, they'd have survived longer, but Carlton Kids would've probably eventually just been replaced by the CITV Channel, much like how Granada Plus closed to make way for ITV3.

(22-03-2024, 11:01 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  They were doomed from the start by not being carried on Sky. Of course had they been, they'd have survived longer, but Carlton Kids would've probably eventually just been replaced by the CITV Channel, much like how Granada Plus closed to make way for ITV3.

Would they still had talks with Nickelodeon (ITV Nickelodeon Kids - INK)?

(22-03-2024, 11:01 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  They were doomed from the start by not being carried on Sky. Of course had they been, they'd have survived longer, but Carlton Kids would've probably eventually just been replaced by the CITV Channel, much like how Granada Plus closed to make way for ITV3.
By that logic Men&Motors would have closed when ITV4 launched, and yet it didn't. In fact it had a fairly major relaunch not long before.

Granada Plus didn't close because it didn't make sense for it to coexist alongside ITV3 either. It closed because that was the only way ITV could engineer a path to getting it on the Sky EPG from launch, in the era of there being a shortage of available EPG slots. If there was another way of getting a Sky EPG slot I don't doubt they'd have done it.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

That was the point. If Carlton Kids had still existed and had an EPG slot, CITV would've taken it. The channel would've probably launched a few years earlier as a result.

(23-03-2024, 12:35 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  That was the point. If Carlton Kids had still existed and had an EPG slot, CITV would've taken it. The channel would've probably launched a few years earlier as a result.

2001 if budget cuts didn't get in the way according to Wiki referenced kidscreen.com  and kidscreen.com  and www.theguardian.com 

(23-03-2024, 12:35 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  That was the point. If Carlton Kids had still existed and had an EPG slot, CITV would've taken it.
Please explain why ITV4 didn't take Men&Motors Sky EPG position when it launched in that case.

I put it to you these things are not as definitive as you state them to be.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

(23-03-2024, 12:55 PM)cable Wrote:  2001 if budget cuts didn't get in the way according to Wiki referenced kidscreen.com  and kidscreen.com  and www.theguardian.com 

IIRC there was also going to be INK (ITV Nickelodeon Kids) channel which would've been a joint venture channel between ITV and Viacom which was proposed around April 2005. It was scrapped a few months after though due to both partners not being able to reach an agreement on the structure of the channel

(23-03-2024, 03:22 PM)WillPS Wrote:  Please explain why ITV4 didn't take Men&Motors Sky EPG position when it launched in that case.

I put it to you these things are not as definitive as you state them to be.
ITV4 launched back in the day when each original EPG slot had two subsidiary spaces. It made sense for them to list ITV2/3/4 sequentially next to each other.

Furthermore, ITV4 and Men & Motors co-existed for about 5 years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • UTVLifer