43 The Great British Bake-Off – BBC + Channel 4
44 Grange Hill – BBC
45 Pride and Prejudice – BBC
46 Pennies From Heaven – BBC
47 Desmond’s – Channel 4
48 The Big Breakfast – Channel 4
49 Parkinson – BBC + ITV
50 The Traitors – BBC

Surprised that Eastenders and Corrie aren't on there and being fresh in the mind probably accounts for The Traitors' inclusion.

Think we need a bit of context here - from the above page: "What are the 50 landmark TV Programmes of the last 50 years? The shows that changed broadcasting, influenced how we look at the world and made us laugh or think in a new way. This is the challenge the Broadcasting Press Guild set its members to mark its 50th anniversary: the resulting Top 50 showcases the incredible breadth, diversity and evolution of British broadcasting over the last half century."

That might explain why the soaps aren't on there... they didn't "change broadcasting, influenced how we look at the world [save to say somebody else has a more miserable life than viewers] or made them laugh."

In fact it could be argued the "change" for broadcasting wise soaps did was clogging up the prime time schedule, particularly in the case of ITV...

Of course these lists are subjective but not much argument from me for the top 25, though then it gets a bit more questionable, and if it's from the last 50 years it explains Corrie's absence but not the inclusion of Blue Peter and 7Up. Certainly some recency bias in there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Blubatt

(12-03-2024, 06:07 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Think we need a bit of context here - from the above page: "What are the 50 landmark TV Programmes of the last 50 years? The shows that changed broadcasting, influenced how we look at the world and made us laugh or think in a new way. This is the challenge the Broadcasting Press Guild set its members to mark its 50th anniversary: the resulting Top 50 showcases the incredible breadth, diversity and evolution of British broadcasting over the last half century."

That might explain why the soaps aren't on there... they didn't "change broadcasting, influenced how we look at the world [save to say somebody else has a more miserable life than viewers] or made them laugh."

In fact it could be argued the "change" for broadcasting wise soaps did was clogging up the prime time schedule, particularly in the case of ITV...

Not all the soaps' fault though. Perhaps if channels didn't get rid of kids blocks then the shows that ended up airing there could have been shown in primetime and the soaps wouldn't have had to be on so much?

I don't like the soaps either but there's no denying their influence and suitability for the poll as they meet the criteria that has been put forward. I guess maybe they just didn't get enough votes.

Pointless would still exist in the exact same timeslot if CBBC was still on BBC One, because it replaced Weakest Link which took over the Neighbours slot when it moved to Channel 5. The rest of the gameshows, I'm not sure if they'd exist at all if the CBBC and CITV blocks still existed.

(12-03-2024, 06:07 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Think we need a bit of context here - from the above page: "What are the 50 landmark TV Programmes of the last 50 years? The shows that changed broadcasting, influenced how we look at the world and made us laugh or think in a new way. This is the challenge the Broadcasting Press Guild set its members to mark its 50th anniversary: the resulting Top 50 showcases the incredible breadth, diversity and evolution of British broadcasting over the last half century."

Monty Python was 1969. Unless this is an older article that the OP is resharing, 1969 is 55 years ago, as of 2024

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]

(12-03-2024, 11:08 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  Monty Python was 1969. Unless this is an older article that the OP is resharing, 1969 is 55 years ago, as of 2024

I only copied and pasted the blurb, I didn't verify it. Anyway the article's dated March 12 2024, and secondly Python was on the air in 1974 albeit without John Cleese by that point, so it is technically correct.