The Gadget Show

This seems like something worthy of a thread given how Channel 5 have altered the show over the past year or two.

Following the reformatting and eventual renaming of the original show to "Shop Smart, Save Money". a 'spiritual successor', The Gadget Show name is now being retooled as a podcast reuniting Suzi Perry and Jason Bradbury.

x.com 

Will be interesting to hear/see how this plays out, the Twitter account has always stayed as The Gadget Show, though is still linked to Channel 5, while it looks as though the podcast is a separate production not associated with C5. Along the same lines, the YouTube channel is mostly used now for reuploading classic episodes, though does feature the odd clip from Shop Smart, Save Money.

Jason talks in the trailer about the changes to viewing habits, though it would be interesting to see whether this could theoretically lead to a version of the show coming back in the future, or whether the C5 era is all in the past.
[-] The following 1 user Likes PATV Scunthorpe's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

It's nice to see the name being kept alive, as well as seeing Jason and Suzi back together. If only Jon could've joined them!

I was disappointed to see the show butchered beyond recognition, especially after it seemed to find its feet again with the Craig Charles-led revamp after it was coasting for a long time before that. Even then, its latter series was shifting more towards general consumer advice than the features, reviews and challenges the show was once famous for. I found that any special product review/reveal came months after most YouTube outlets covered the very same thing, and I suppose it begged the question as to whether the show was for tech enthusiasts or casual viewers. The former are arguably more than catered for with numerous YouTube channels, but you'd be forgiven for thinking the only technology Channel 5 think casual viewers care about are air fryers.

Funny that they've recreated the original opening titles from the first series. I doubt many people will understand the reference - I only know because they uploaded all the early series to YouTube a few years ago.

I always found the axing of the original format (and 3 of the 5 presenters) in 2012 baffling - the show was actually quite popular by that point and had a live show at the NEC. I don't suppose the change in ownership of Channel 5 had anything to do with it?

I would drift in and out of watching the programme though. When it got to the point where I was fast forwarding most of the programme, that was when it was time to drop the series link.

Anyone remember that weird "Five FWD" website that existed only for The Gadget Show and Fifth Gear, and every other show just had a page on the normal Five website?

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

Having watched the inaugural episode, it's credited as a North One Production, so I'm guessing it's much more "official" than just Suzi and Jason piggybacking off the brand to do their own thing.

It certainly isn't too bad though. Feels aimed more at the original audience than your usual Yorkshire Air Fryer Train Journeys folk you get on Channel 5 now.