BBC to explore how to reform the TVL, the DG says

(28-03-2024, 10:58 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I don't think that could be further from the truth.

Less need for reliance I meant. It's how it is but it's not how anyone wants it to be. Creatives are warning an Industry that is becoming increasingly reliant on international markets isnt good for British story telling.

You only have to look at the final series of Torchwood for evidence of that.

(28-03-2024, 12:06 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  Less need for reliance I meant. It's how it is but it's not how anyone wants it to be. Creatives are warning an Industry that is becoming increasingly reliant on international markets isnt good for British story telling.

That's more the influence of international streamers I the UK market - selling to international markets is what keeps BBC Studios and ITV Studios afloat. Of course the reality is those international buyers are mainly the US owned streamers also reducing their audience in the UK so they are friends and foes.

(28-03-2024, 01:27 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  That's more the influence of international streamers I the UK market - selling to international markets is what keeps BBC Studios and ITV Studios afloat.

True, but it’s still part of the same problem. ''Does this have enough global appeal to sell internationally?'' being the deciding factor of whether every homegrown show gets commissioned or not, if that's what it's going to come to, isn’t going to end well. Just look at the dire state the British film industry is in.

(28-03-2024, 01:24 PM)James2001 Wrote:  You only have to look at the final series of Torchwood for evidence of that.

Or the channel five programmes set in England but filmed in Hungary or Malta and not feeling very British in tone despite all British casts.

I'm hoping Doctor Who isn't too Disneyfied, losing things like the EastEnders and Countdown references. Always liked that sort of stuff being slipped in without them clearly not really bothered about whether international audiences would get it or not.

(28-03-2024, 02:35 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  True, but it’s still part of the same problem. ''Does this have enough global appeal to sell internationally?'' being the deciding factor of whether every homegrown show gets commissioned or not, if that's what it's going to come to, isn’t going to end well. Just look at the dire state the British film industry is in.
They've mot been able to build sound stages fast enough in the last decade. In recent years it's more likely the big blockbuster films have Bern filmed in the UK than in Hollywood. Of course that does mean American films being name on British soil but financially at least the British film production industry isn't in a dire state, and actual British films still punch above their weight.

Anyway we stray but worth mentioning the huge tax relief programmes given to the film industry and now the "high end" TV industry. Latest figures shows £829m went to "High end TV" in 2021/22.

www.bdo.co.uk 

British TV has got to the stage where it has near enough maxed out on the types of shows that people haven't seen before and scripted isn't cheap to make so there's a limit as to what can be produced. It's hard for shows to break through, which makes its understandable why broadcasters would want to commission something different, also with a view to selling abroad.

With unscripted content, it's a similar situation in that we have gone through an insane amount of shows over the years and to justify overall costs, there has to format sales somewhere. Partly to blame for that is production standards having gone through the roof and the obsession with prize money, which has in turn led to expensive gameshows and decent but cheap ones being ignored.

(28-03-2024, 05:02 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  They've mot been able to build sound stages fast enough in the last decade. In recent years it's more likely the big blockbuster films have Bern filmed in the UK than in Hollywood. Of course that does mean American films being name on British soil but financially at least the British film production industry isn't in a dire state, and actual British films still punch above their weight.

Anyway we stray but worth mentioning the huge tax relief programmes given to the film industry and now the "high end" TV industry. Latest figures shows £829m went to "High end TV" in 2021/22.

www.bdo.co.uk 

Are you the culture secretary? Wink maybe take a look at the backlash from British film makers after her comments about Barbie being made in Britain not Hollywood a few weeks ago. Yeah, there is a boom but it’s largely international. I saw one writer describe it as ''like a party in your own house that you've somehow not been invited to''. We’re great at providing tax breaks for Hollywood to make Star Wars, Batman and Barbie films cheaper here but domestic British cinema, desperately in need of reform, is only a very small percentage of the boom.

British films are there for people to seek out, but should they have to? That's what promotion is about and the main players including TV are only interested in the big films that people already know of anyway, while for a time during the 90s you couldn't get away from independent British cinema, Four Weddings and a Funeral, The Full Monty etc which was very much a mixed bag. Although, I don't think that was coincidental as there was a change in society going on that was about celebrating everything British and trying to get away from a US dominated market.

It also happened with music and eventually TV started to move away from imported shows to concentrate on homegrown content. Recently it's got to the point that people are bored of the same old same old and shows on streaming platforms aren't popular just because they're on streaming platforms (although I do think that some things can be over-egged) but because they're good.