General Bauer Radio Discussion

(30-08-2023, 12:03 PM)BBI45 Wrote:  I'm surprised Bauer haven't decided to move all their local Hits Radio programmes to the mid-morning slots. It'd allow them to push their main talents in both the breakfast and drive-time slots, whilst having their local shows go out back to back on Hits/Greatest Hits.
I think it’d be a massive risk to do this. I suspect many of the breakfast shows on their heritage stations are the only reason why many people listen, and pretty much the only thing they’ve got going for them.

(30-08-2023, 01:55 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I think it’d be a massive risk to do this. I suspect many of the breakfast shows on their heritage stations are the only reason why many people listen, and pretty much the only thing they’ve got going for them.

I don't doubt that, but it doesn't seem to have been much of a concern for them before now.

I kissed a gull and I liked it!

(30-08-2023, 02:06 PM)BBI45 Wrote:  I don't doubt that, but it doesn't seem to have been much of a concern for them before now.
Very true. Bauer always seem to know best, despite what the listening figures may say.

The two stations rebranded to Hits outside Manchester have lost share. Bristol especially is a disaster.

(31-08-2023, 02:30 AM)London Lite Wrote:  The two stations rebranded to Hits outside Manchester have lost share.  Bristol especially is a disaster.
Meanwhile the one Hits station not outside Manchester has also lost share… and reach… and hours. Wink

Surely at some point, they’ll realise that they’re flogging a dead horse with the Hits Radio brand. They always should have rolled out Kiss instead.

(06-08-2023, 08:09 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  I'm pretty sure DC Thomson has no intention of selling up. It's their print division that they're cutting back on (Beano and Sunday Post are safe but they recently shuttered a bunch of magazines).

And to bring the story up to speed - and to frankly no one's surprise - Pure Radio quietly ceased broadcasting yesterday.

Its FM relay in Dundee and Perth now carries Original 106 from Aberdeen (albeit with Robin Galloway remaining in a behind the scenes role)

radiotoday.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • London Lite, Roger Darthwell

Some of the heritage stations they don't fully own

Some more news from Bauer today – Lincs FM will be taking Hits Radio network programming outside breakfast from next Monday.

radiotoday.co.uk 

I find it curious that Bauer insist on keeping heritage station names like Hallam, Gem, Viking, Pulse 1 and now Lincs, rather than biting the bullet and going for a full Hits Radio rebrand, which at least would allow them to market it properly. It feels like an indication that they don't have confidence in the brand.

If they really pushed it in the same way as they have with GHR, it might actually get a bit of momentum behind it. As it is, it's more of a nondescript sustaining service for a load of stations with nostalgic names that probably no longer resonate with the target audience.

Surely it's time either to rip the plaster off and go for a full semi-national Hits Radio rollout if they actually think the brand is working, or cut their losses and do something different like networking Kiss instead – a station with a clear and well defined proposition.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • Jonny, Scrotnig

I hope they don't do the same to pirate or wave

(16-10-2023, 12:52 PM)Toby brown Wrote:  I hope they don't do the same to pirate or wave

Pirate's an interesting one. I've not listened for a while, but they seemed to be aligning themselves more closely with GHR in terms of the music and imaging.