General Bauer Radio Discussion

(28-11-2023, 09:45 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I'm obviously missing something but I don't quite get why people would listen to the radio on your TV on any platform - radios and presumably DAB radios as well cost practically nothing to run, whereas a TV will suck more power up showing a black screen.

Yeah seems a bit daft plus there's always the risk (albeit small) of screen burn.

There are many reasons why people would choose to listen to the radio via their TV such as better sound quality but re. costs they are probably not aware and/or don't care.

Didn't the BBC write about how changes to their radio MHEG slates saved a rather large amount of power (presumably in part because so many people use their TV for this purpose)?

Sky Q listeners to Bauer radio stations will have to use the Radioplayer app once they leave the EPG.

Ken finishing up 2023 with 3.8 million on GHR - though Vernon Kay on Radio 2 appears to be stabilising.

the-media-leader.com 

Across the local licences, 35 are up while 23 are down - listening hours have taken a hit in a fair few areas as well, which makes me wonder how many will be tuning in just for Ken and / or Popmaster.

radiotoday.co.uk 

It's much more of a mixed bag than I was expecting for GHR. Given many of the licences publish figures averaged over 12 months, I was expecting the Ken effect to give a sustained period of steady growth, but it seems to have faltered somewhat.

Similarly BBC Local Radio seems to be holding up a little better than many were predicting, given all the recent changes, but again, the real picture won't really be apparent until a year or so from now.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • chrisdafur, lookoutwales

Somewhat predictably for Valentine's Day, GHR has added a 'Love' station to its Premium offering.

radiotoday.co.uk 

Not sure where this best fit but it looks as though Bauer’s big move from One Golden Square to Euston is underway.

Magic’s Dan Morrissey has done his last evening show from the old place tonight.

x.com 

One thing they won’t be taking forward, it seems, is the touchscreen faders if this is anything to go by.

x.com 

Ought to note Charles Nove remains on Scala breakfast after it scrapped presenter-led programming post-2pm on weekdays (though he usually presents from what he calls ‘Scala East Midlands’)

I heard a jingle on GHR yesterday that they're now the biggest commerical station in the UK, I guess replacing all those other stations has worked wonders for them.

Also looking at the schedule for the South Wales version, it's not longer listing the Welsh language show, but they're now airing Andy Crane along with everywhere else, was that quietly dropped? Becuase it was kept after they dropped other Wales originated content last year... though being a legacy requirement of their AM licence, it did feel like it was on borrowed time after they closed the AM frequency down, especially as Swansea and Cardiff aren't big Welsh speaking areas.

(13-03-2024, 12:29 AM)James2001 Wrote:  I heard a jingle on GHR yesterday that they're now the biggest commerical station in the UK, I guess replacing all those other stations has worked wonders for them.

Also looking at the schedule for the South Wales version, it's not longer listing the Welsh language show, but they're now airing Andy Crane along with everywhere else, was that quietly dropped?

South Wales kept the Welsh language show to keep the Senedd happy, but they have no legal obligation to provide it since they closed 1170 in Swansea and is now a digital only station which doesn't have rules on locality, although they've kept local news and advertising.