Censored TV in the UK Thread

In the episode Do-It-Yourself Mr. Bean, the scene where he saws through Diana's head was cut after her death. He goes on to saw through Charles - wonder if that will be removed in future?

In Dumb and Dumber, a mention of Charles and Diana being previous guests of the hotel that Harry and Lloyd arrive at was cut for a time. I think it's back in now.

(17-04-2024, 04:38 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  In the episode Do-It-Yourself Mr. Bean, the scene where he saws through Diana's head was cut after her death. He goes on to saw through Charles - wonder if that will be removed in future?

Think you might need to clarify this was a poster/picture... Smile
Otherwise it sounds very Texas Chainsaw Massacre... Big Grin

I suspect it makes little difference whether that scene or Mr Bean cutting the poster of (then) Prince Charles is ultimately removed or not, because his being "beheaded" is the version that's been released on home media so its not like its totally unavailable. The earlier scene of cutting across Diana being removed is an older edit and probably dates from not long after the time of her death. That being said, Mr Bean was released on video (that particular video is part of the yellow one) that came out long before Diana died so its probably intact there (unlike the picture, ho ho)

Happened to check the official YouTube channel's version of the episode to see what edits may or may not be present. Alas, there's a shot of the saw cutting through Diana's picture, but after a cutaway back to Mr. Bean, he suddenly ends up half way through Charles. It's a strange edit, as it implies the lower half of her photo falling to the ground is the insensitive part, not the idea of a saw going through her neck in the first place. Oddly enough, when it happens to Charles, the (presumably live) audience didn't react all that much, so I'm assuming they'd already seen what happened to Diana.

The YouTube clip has the cut just right before the saw reaches Diana's neck and so nothing explicit happens on screen but with Charles it is shown in full so I imagine the active sawing of a photo of a person now deceased is what was/is considered insensitive.

live-action Mr Bean was heavily censored when it appeared for some reason on Nickelodeon and they took all the inappropriate-for-kids stuff out of it, so no climbing in a tumble dryer, no drinking detergent, no running around a swimming pool naked and definitely no putting the light out with a gun... I don't think they ever went anywhere near Mr Bean in Room 426... Makes you wonder why they bought the series for Nickelodeon sometimes.

And of course one episode of Mr Bean was delayed for transmission by a year or so because of real life events.

Ah yes, Mind the Baby… was delayed for over a year. I believe it was supposed to follow In Room 426, which was first shown in the earlier part of 1993. (As a side note, it was the first episode not to be networked by Thames.)

Do-It-Yourself was shown in January 1994, so you had the oddity of episodes being shot on both film and video, which Do-It-Yourself was. Notably, this episode also had the bonus scene of him buying the armchair which was never shown officially in the UK, but I believe was shown on PBS. There’s also a bonus scene in Merry Christmas… where Bean wins the turkey, it’s not shown on TV but it did end up on the video and DVD releases.

Usually when they show The Curse of… now which tends to show up on ITV4 daytime occasionally they tend to remove the scene where his front side is exposed in front of the group of female swimmers.

I never saw much of the Nickelodeon edits, but I remember they made a strange edit on The Return of… when they omitted the bit where he stops at the end of the escalator. Strange choice of acquisition for a kids channel.

Considering the DVDs and VHS releases of Bean all have a U rating, the fact that Nickelodeon still decided to edit it says something about how strict they were... Especially when you look at the content of some of Nickelodeon's own cartoons like Ren & Stimpy and Rocko which had worse things than were ever in Mr Bean.

At least it's better than the 16:9 cropped versions or Mr Bean in circulation now.

(17-04-2024, 09:20 PM)James2001 Wrote:  At least it's better than the 16:9 cropped versions or Mr Bean in circulation now.

Anything is better than cropped 16:9 videotape.
I never understand why people want this, if the mess of Mr Bean on ITV 2 isn't enough to scare anybody off with all that horrible panning, does nobody stop to think seriously people watched it like that in 1995?

The Thin Blue Line is the same- made by the same production company, so clearly something Tiger Aspect feel the need to do for some reason...

I'm not sure about Bean on ITV2, but the Thin Blue Line ones on Gold are actually tagged as being "HD", even though obviously as being video, not only could it never be HD, but you're throwing away a quarter of the SD resolution as well with the cropping. Admittedly the recreated end credits are HD, but that barely counts. If there's one plus, at least it's not filmised, which happens far too often with HD "conversions" of SD material (look at the current circulating versions of The Fresh Prince, which are dire)... but that's a very minor plus.

(17-04-2024, 09:20 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Considering the DVDs and VHS releases of Bean all have a U rating, the fact that Nickelodeon still decided to edit it says something about how strict they were... Especially when you look at the content of some of Nickelodeon's own cartoons like Ren & Stimpy and Rocko which had worse things than were ever in Mr Bean.

I think because Mr. Bean was live-action as opposed to animated it was thought that kids were more likely to copy situations that looked real, hence the edits.

That rating needs looked at because a lot of parts of Mr. Bean are not suitable for kids.