Central Front-cap Oddity

On the re-reruns of Auf Wiedersehen Pet on ITV4 the past few weeks, the Central front-cap is played out without the jingle (as well as in stretchy-vision).

Would the jingle be outside of rights? Wouldn't ITV hold the copyright? Or just something more basic? After all, the LWT and Thames jingles are usually left intact.

theident.gallery 
Web Image

[Image: tig96x96.png]

Was the same on some of the Monkhouse Family Fortunes on Challenge- and that seemed to be how it was on the master tape, as on several episodes you can hear the applause and theme tune start over the (silent) frontcap. Presume it's the same here, maybe the music was played in live on broadcast for some reason?

If you can hear the applause and theme tune, it suggests the ident music was recorded on a different audio track on the master which hasn’t then been included in the mix at some point, probably by mistake.
[-] The following 3 users Like Spencer's post:
  • Andrew Wood, AndrewP, Stuart

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the ident jingle (on the programmes) for Central was added later, as they were doing the occasional "Central presents an ATV show" thing in early 1982, but we know that sort of thing was done live and I think they used the "other" globe for that, rather than this one.

Although since Auf Wiedershen started in 1983, that doesn't apply here.

The audio track thing is the most likely explanation as this isn't the first time that's happened, as stated above.
Unfortunately stretchyvision isn't new either...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Spencer

(20-04-2024, 11:20 AM)Andrew Wood Wrote:  Would the jingle be outside of rights? Wouldn't ITV hold the copyright? Or just something more basic? After all, the LWT and Thames jingles are usually left intact.
Probably not a rights issue, the Central idents are published or were published by Rainbow Music Publishing Ltd, which was later named Carlton Music before reverting to the Rainbow name, they were owned by ITV Studios before they finally dissolved them in 2016, so I would assume ITV Studios own the rights to most of Central's music archive. Not quite sure on how/why it was split but some are 49% owned by EMI Blackwood and 51% owned by Rainbow.

Besides, if there was an issue playing the jingle, it wouldn't be on Bullseye and Blockbusters repeats on Challenge either.
[-] The following 4 users Like JAS84's post:
  • Andrew Wood, AndrewP, Spencer, Stuart

I don't think it a right issues, alot of early stuff was played without the jingle. In many cases a good number of shows the frontcap was played "LIVE" going into shows. This did mean a few mistakes were made:

x.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • AndrewP, Happy2001, Stuart

When the first series of AWP was first released on DVD by Carlton the Central front caps were included but without sound. So I could only guess the sound was added live possibly? I know the series has been rereleased by ITV Studios since then, so it’s possible it may have changed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nwtv2003's post:
  • Andrew Wood

(20-04-2024, 07:54 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  I don't think it a right issues, alot of early stuff was played without the jingle. In many cases a good number of shows the frontcap was played "LIVE" going into shows. This did mean a few mistakes were made:

x.com 

Wrong front-cap for the programme, wrong jingle for the front-cap. Mistakes indeed!

[Image: tig96x96.png]

I remember back in 1982 (yes, I’m that old!) that when the Central TV series We’ll Meet Again was shown, it always had a silent Central frontcap. (Actually, if you turned the sound up on your TV you could very faintly hear the jingle). So it does appear to have been a deliberate choice for Central to air silent frontcaps on some programming. The fact the same thing happens on the DVDs of Auf Weidersehen Pet suggests these were burnt onto the tapes and not added live.

It’s been suggested that this is linked in some ways to the programmes being made prior to 1982 (ie. by ATV) but AWP is from 1983 so that’s not the case. Also, from what I saw, Central merely covered up the ATV zoom frontcaps live with their animated frontcap, a still Central Presents slide, or - in the case of schools programmes until the end of 1984*, the Central Presents slide fading into the ATV zoom and jingle.

*From 1985, all ATV schools programmes still being repeated were re-edited with Central animated frontcaps and still endcaps.

I’m curious to know why the ATV zooms and endcaps were kept intact on schools programming but covered up, one way or another, on repeats of other ATV programmes. Was there legally any difference?

THE NEXT POST FOLLOWS SHORTLY…