Challenge TV

(03-05-2024, 09:21 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Far as I know Andrew Wood has never discussed them. "A sixteenth series was declined as the conditions demanded by the network were unacceptable and would not have been in the interests of either Bullseye or its fans."

For all we know there may not have been any changes demanded, or maybe they wanted to chop the budget and pay the talent less, or take the physical stuff out in favour of screens and what not... we'll probably never know. Though if that was the case it would be ironic considering the 2006 revival was pretty much a carbon copy of the original (later) set anyway!

Of course lots of changes at ITV in this period and many other shows did change or end. Krypton Factor is the obvious example here.
Would't be surprised if ITV execs wanted to chop Jim Bowen completely, or give him his own Penny Smith.

(Yesterday, 08:35 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Would't be surprised if ITV execs wanted to chop Jim Bowen completely, or give him his own Penny Smith.

And coincidentally, they did try the latter with Marti Caine on the (unrepeated) 1988 Christmas special...
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • Brekkie

Bullseye in 1996 - new shiny metallic set and dramatic theme tune. Speedboats replaced by £10,000 top prize. Tony Green replaced by a floating CGI Bully head like Ratz in Live & Kicking. New opening Virtual Reality round where contestants have to throw virtual darts at virtual dartboards. A confused, fed up Jim Bowen (with new female co host) having to constantly read out the 0891 viewer competition number every five minutes.

Cancelled after one new look series.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BillyH's post:
  • Nobby

I don't think they'd have gone THAT far, we're talking mid 90s, not 2010s. The technology won't have been there yet. Bully changing art style I could see, but not becoming CGI. Just look at the 1995 Power Rangers movie, the zords in that were CGI and they looked awful even for the time. If a big budget movie couldn't even do robot animals right, a TV quiz show on a much lower budget would have no chance at doing a decent bull. Bully would've definitely still been a cartoon.

Bullseye "moving" to a March/April start as opposed to Sept/Oct must also have had an effect on viewing figures/perceptions of the show.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tellyblues's post:
  • lookoutwales

(Yesterday, 12:56 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  Bullseye "moving" to a March/April start as opposed to Sept/Oct must also have had an effect on viewing figures/perceptions of the show.

Summer is effectively a graveyard slot and I suspect they had an inkling the network was sick of the show. think those episode that say copyright 1993 were the ones that went out in 1994, over a year after the previous series had ended, but the later ones are copyrighted 1995 to Carlton and not Central.