Doctor Who

For me, when talking about a set of episodes produced in the same run and clearly marked as such, it's always been series for UK shows and seasons for US shows. The seasons/months things I get but there are some US shows that don't have enough episodes to last a season but I and most people still call them a season. In the UK, series can refer to a show as a whole (i.e. "that TV series") and a run of episodes within as explained. Similarly, in the US, series is another word for show but they have their own term for a run of episodes (season).

Doctor Who's "Season 1" is a marketing gimmick to make the show seem fresh and to appeal to a new set of fans, all because of Disney.
[-] The following 2 users Like tellyblues's post:
  • JosiahStuart, Stuart

While it's a shame to break the series numbering that's been established since 2005, I can understand the logic. Doctor Who is no longer solely a BBC show, it's a partnership with Disney+ which will bring it to an entirely new audience, and from their perspective you simply can't start with Season/Series 14, it would make no sense. Giving the UK different series numbering to the rest of the world would also be a non-starter. In the same way that Torchwood: Miracle Day (a BBC/Starz co-production) was never officially termed as Series 4, they sort of tiptoed around that completely.

As for Series vs Season, I think both can be valid depending on context. Historically, I believe the original run from 1963-1989 was often referred to as 'Seasons' in contemporary documents and listings, long before the revival came along. Flipping back to Seasons now does feel like a US/Disney influence, but to be honest it's so prevalent these days (including the classic run which is actively being released on Blu-ray under the 'season' banner) that I don't mind it too much.

Steven Moffat wanted to reset the numbering back to Series 1 as early as 2010, but the idea wasn't popular at the time!
[-] The following 2 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • Happy2001, News Engineer