Odd intro to 1981 BBC 1 Ident.

Does anyone know what's going on here? I thought the ident was a model? It looks rather nice with the Black.

youtu.be 
[-] The following 5 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • AndrewP, channel4squares1, ethanjbrady, Si-Co, Stuart

(21-04-2024, 09:18 AM)Milkshake Wrote:  Does anyone know what's going on here? I thought the ident was a model? It looks rather nice with the Black.
youtu.be 
I think we need our very own resident bbctechop to explain the full details, but my guess is that although the globe was internally lit, it needed to be of sufficient brightness to produce a reflection. It also looks as though the light behind the lower third area containing the logo hadn't yet been lit until part way through the CA.

Is someone just having a bit of a play with the vision mixer? The globe looks a bit like it’s cropped around the edge, maybe using an iris wipe.
[-] The following 3 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, fatal paper cut

(21-04-2024, 01:48 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Is someone just having a bit of a play with the vision mixer? The globe looks a bit like it’s cropped around the edge, maybe using an iris wipe.
NODDY was a fairly basic camera feeding into Pres. Did Pres even have the ability to do iris wipes or complex transitions in 1981? I thought they just selected existing feeds for playout.

It's an interesting find, so I'm looking forward to hearing the explanation.

If you routed Noddy via a synch to Pres A that had just got the world first model of a GVG 300 vision mixer
in PAL (ser no 5) …. That had wipes on it that you would never think of …
So,an iris was easy ………

The 300 was an incandescent dining table
bikerglen.com 

But we had the button colours at right angles cameras red outside sources yellow etc
A sales video …..
youtu.be 

And pres A also had the (NEC) multi channel,DVE
[-] The following 4 users Like Technologist's post:
  • AndrewP, Si-Co, Spencer, Stuart

Channel 4 made use of many of those wipes and video effects on their trailers and break fillers in the early days!

THE NEXT POST FOLLOWS SHORTLY…

Well it's either an error or someone trying something creative.

Its worth remembering that they did used to play around with things back then, branding wasn't as strict and things were adjustable and tweakable. Often in pres enthusiast circles something like a change of colour or a different way of doing things is thought to be a policy or something new. It's often just something drifting or being set differently.

So it could be just something the gallery tried that night.

But to me it looks like they did a wipe on it, applying the key just on the globe, revealing the logo and then wiping it put from there out. It looks too neat and too complex to be a mistake

This is what it looked like in real life

youtu.be 
[-] The following 4 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AndrewP, fatal paper cut, JJJJ, Stuart

Was the globe kept running 24/7 or was it turned off during closedown/programmes?

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 1 user Likes AndrewP's post:
  • Spencer

(21-04-2024, 12:27 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I think we need our very own resident bbctechop to explain the full details, but my guess is that although the globe was internally lit, it needed to be of sufficient brightness to produce a reflection. It also looks as though the light behind the lower third area containing the logo hadn't yet been lit until part way through the CA.

Moi?

No idea, I wasn't even born!
[-] The following 3 users Like bbctvtechop's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, scottishtv, Stuart

(22-04-2024, 05:58 PM)AndrewP Wrote:  Was the globe kept running 24/7 or was it turned off during closedown/programmes?
I imagine not 24/7 as TV wasn't 24/7 in those days,no point wearing it out unnecessarily.

I would have thought that the control room had control of it, but whether they left it on so they didn't forget to switch it back on I don't know. It might have been triggered to start when the camera was pointing at it. Certainly I don't think I've seen a clip of it stationary

Incidently here's a clip of the room it was in and the noddy camera... so called presumably because it nodded!
youtu.be