Thread Closed

SNP Crisis (2024 Edition)

Reporting Scotland has be extended tonight, replacing the One Show. STV news I dare say should have special tonight at 6pm.
[-] The following 2 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • interestednovice, UTVLifer

(29-04-2024, 01:38 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  When in truth, both newsrooms are always geared far more towards set programming (and granted, the BBC will have the option to at least extend Rep Scot at 6.30pm, which I suspect they will)
Yes, BBC Scotland's political correspondents and reporters were on air on the news channel, Radio Scotland and 5 Live, with some brief input into Politics Live too. They also needed a couple of people in the room for the statement in case the FM was going to take questions (which he didn't). The Radio Scotland coverage was pretty good, and Kay Adams can of course deal with live broadcasting with ease.

The slightly amusing part was continuing with the usual listener phone-in whilst the 'professional' commentators contributed to the story too!

Over on Radio 4, I note Chris Mason said he got off the bus on his way into Westminster to speak to The Today Programme at 8:10am. By 1pm, he was speaking to World at One from Edinburgh. A quick change of plans to his working day!
[-] The following 1 user Likes scottishtv's post:
  • interestednovice

(29-04-2024, 12:08 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  As in Covid days they have an BSL interpreter in the room with him, something the UK government unfortunately still don't do

I think a separate interpreter, digitally-overlaid, is often better. You can centre the shot more clearly on them, so it’s more obvious what they are saying, and by boxing it up you can put them in an overlay for prominence. It can be a bit awkward when they are standing there, as you have to use a wide shot with them on the side and it’s arguably harder to see.

I take the point that it’s a good thing to have an interpreter available, just a small presentational thing about how it’s done.

STV news has got special titles for tonight edition.

Here is some of the pics from the STV news titles. The STV news crew are up by Dynamic Earth with an overview of the complex

BBC One has Jane Hill at Holyrood down by the Front doors. Its seems its the same location for Reporting Scotland Laura Miller.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milkshake's post:
  • oscillon

Both editions of STV News at Six were from Holyrood - Kelly-Ann for Central and Andrea for the North with Colin Mackay pulling heavy duty on both.

I suspect Colin pre-rec'd his two-way stuff for the North first (and there was a lot of it)

Central had special titles while North had live crosses to Dundee and Aberdeen - and both programmes returned to their studios for sport.

(29-04-2024, 04:21 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  I think a separate interpreter, digitally-overlaid, is often better. You can centre the shot more clearly on them, so it’s more obvious what they are saying, and by boxing it up you can put them in an overlay for prominence. It can be a bit awkward when they are standing there, as you have to use a wide shot with them on the side and it’s arguably harder to see.

I take the point that it’s a good thing to have an interpreter available, just a small presentational thing about how it’s done.
Although of course in some occasions people in the room need the signer so it's easier to have them next to the speaker.

Also for an adhoc press conference as this morning the facilities just aren't there to do anything flashy like superimposing a signer

In today's case the signer was a lot bigger in the shot than the First Minister so it did look a bit odd

(29-04-2024, 02:59 PM)scottishtv Wrote:  Over on Radio 4, I note Chris Mason said he got off the bus on his way into Westminster to speak to The Today Programme at 8:10am. By 1pm, he was speaking to World at One from Edinburgh. A quick change of plans to his working day!
He mentioned on Reporting Scotland that he woke up at 6 to a lot of messages on his phone. He was meant to be in Milton Keynes doing a report on the local elections today but ended up in Edinburgh
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • UTVLifer

Newsnight co-anchored from Pacific Quay tonight with Kirsty (whilst Victoria was in 54D), though not using The Nine set as it has recently, instead reverting to the Covid-era ‘Newsnight from the canteen’ set up
Thread Closed

This is a Proactively Moderated Thread