Early DTT/Freeview Hardware

(08-05-2024, 09:54 AM)agemame Wrote:  Those Onn branded ones? Yes, they basically didn't have a PSU worth the effort so they'd just latch on. I bought it, and returned it within the weekend, as I recall. Funnily enough the Tesco Technika branded ones were ostensibly the same intrinsic design in terms of the decoder, but reasonably decently built in comparison, albeit with some strange audio crosstalk in standby and a tendency to 'blip' the SCART source pin when switching off which confused those TVs that were set to autodetect external sources.

I'm pretty sure it was this Durabrand one, now selling for £16 on eBay! Confused

www.ebay.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • Stuart, TIGHazard

(07-05-2024, 07:40 PM)London Lite Wrote:  That was also badged as the Goodmans GDB2 which was my first Freeview receiver. The GDB3 was a lot better!

yes those were the ones i had. as mentioned earlier you could basically convert the 2 into the 3 with a firmware upgrade over the RS232 cable and a new remote.

We had a GDB2 and the philips ITV digital box. TVs were never binned in our house, just moved to another room as they all happened to have aerial sockets, so at one point we had six TVs.

The big moment for us was when Lidl got boxes in for £10 and we took the opportunity to convert the other four in one go.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pete's post:
  • London Lite

Onn and Durabrand were both Asda own brands, weren't they? And they also had Pacific, and now they licence the Polaroid name. And I'm sure they've had others too.

How many own brands have they had over the years?
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Spencer

I remember buying two Dion Freeview boxes, the second being a PVR and the latter was awful with the HDD breaking in a short period.

Dion was a Tesco own-brand.

On the whole, the Vestel receivers and PVRs were a lot more reliable.

(08-05-2024, 10:44 AM)Spencer Wrote:  I'm pretty sure it was this Durabrand one, now selling for £16 on eBay! Confused

www.ebay.co.uk 

We ended up buying the same Duaraband one after the Pacific box died and that lasted years. It even came with a stand, so it was nicely placed to the TV it was connected to. Very few things looked smart and cheap, that ticked both boxes. Even if the software and functionality was basic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nwtv2003's post:
  • Spencer

(08-05-2024, 02:48 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  We ended up buying the same Duaraband one after the Pacific box died and that lasted years. It even came with a stand, so it was nicely placed to the TV it was connected to. Very few things looked smart and cheap, that ticked both boxes. Even if the software and functionality was basic.

I remember seeing the ones with the stand shortly after I bought and returned ours. Perhaps with the updated batch, they'd sorted out some of the problems. Or maybe I was just unlucky!

Talking of DTT oddities, did anyone have one of these?

www.techradar.com 

From the weird period at the very start of Virgin Media when they still had the old virgin.net ADSL/dialup business - rather than just acknowledge they didn't have a TV offer for non-cable customers they went to the weird extent of getting their own branded DTT STBs made up. They even had a Virgin Media branded EPG not dissimilar to the cable TV one - but there was no real value add over a £30 Freeview box whatsoever.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 3 users Like WillPS's post:
  • AndrewP, Daveuk, London Lite

(08-05-2024, 03:49 PM)WillPS Wrote:  Talking of DTT oddities, did anyone have one of these?

www.techradar.com 

From the weird period at the very start of Virgin Media when they still had the old virgin.net ADSL/dialup business - rather than just acknowledge they didn't have a TV offer for non-cable customers they went to the weird extent of getting their own branded DTT STBs made up. They even had a Virgin Media branded EPG not dissimilar to the cable TV one - but there was no real value add over a £30 Freeview box whatsoever.

Yes, we had a one of these. Found them to be speedy little boxes and I think even picked up a few off eBay for the spare rooms for next to nothing. Small little box it was, I think it even cake with a little stand if you wanted to place it sideways….i think! The remote even smaller and was just a watch battery

(08-05-2024, 06:15 PM)Daveuk Wrote:  Yes, we had a one of these. Found them to be speedy little boxes and I think even picked up a few off eBay for the spare rooms for next to nothing. Small little box it was, I think it even cake with a little stand if you wanted to place it sideways….i think! The remote even smaller and was just a watch battery

I remember those, they were about the size of a video tape. Those remotes were ugly!

Didn't really know where to put these but wonder what the UI on these was
collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk 

Also, not sure if this is the right place

Is that an opt switch for BBC 1 and 2 for DTT?
[-] The following 2 users Like Mike's post:
  • Stuart, TIGHazard