Premier League Coverage

There is a bit of a recent history of the away team bus being attacked when Liverpool and Man City play each other, so probably to do with that.
[-] The following 2 users Like Transmission's post:
  • RhysJR, UTVLifer

Can't help but think any fan intent on trouble going drinking pre-match will just go 45 minutes earlier.

(07-02-2024, 01:01 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Can't help but think any fan intent on trouble going drinking pre-match will just go 45 minutes earlier.

Quite agree. I think the world feed commentary of West Brom v. Wolves said they had heard reports of people in pubs at 0530 ahead of that match, partly there for the cricket.

I'm not sure how it works for fans and authorities, but the system implemented for recent South Wales derbies (and many other fixtures I think) is the away fans have to have travel from their home stadium on official buses and are IDed and checked. This looks to work, as the last derby took place on a. Saturday at 1945, which would have been unthinkable years ago.

What we don't want is big fixtures to become like recent Old Firm derbies that have had no away supporters.
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Scratch_Perry, UTVLifer

(07-02-2024, 02:46 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Quite agree. I think the world feed commentary of West Brom v. Wolves said they had heard reports of people in pubs at 0530 ahead of that match, partly there for the cricket.

I'm not sure how it works for fans and authorities, but the system implemented for recent South Wales derbies (and many other fixtures I think) is the away fans have to have travel from their home stadium on official buses and are IDed and checked. This looks to work, as the last derby took place on a. Saturday at 1945, which would have been unthinkable years ago.

What we don't want is big fixtures to become like recent Old Firm derbies that have had no away supporters.

I think the term they use is a "bubble fixture", is where as you say, the away fans travel together, from their stadium, and are in their own bubble (games involving Leeds and Millwall as the away team tend to be bubble fixtures).
[-] The following 2 users Like Scratch_Perry's post:
  • RhysJR, UTVLifer

The Premier League announced on Thursday that next Monday's fixture between Tottenham and Nottingham Forest had been moved to the previous day, Sunday April 7th, at 18:00 due to rail strikes. With only 10 days notice, this is, to be very understated, less than ideal for everyone affected; though, the Premier League couldn't win if they moved it or not with people finding it difficult to attend the match. Luckily for broadcasters, that day's Super Sunday comprises of only one fixture, and with that being Manchester United v. Liverpool, it is an earlier kick-off of 15:30. Sky's click-hungry post-match debate with that will have to be shortenned.

www.premierleague.com 

(30-03-2024, 01:17 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  The Premier League announced on Thursday that next Monday's fixture between Tottenham and Nottingham Forest had been moved to the previous day, Sunday April 7th, at 18:00 due to rail strikes. With only 10 days notice, this is, to be very understated, less than ideal for everyone affected; though, the Premier League couldn't win if they moved it or not with people finding it difficult to attend the match. Luckily for broadcasters, that day's Super Sunday comprises of only one fixture, and with that being Manchester United v. Liverpool, it is an earlier kick-off of 15:30. Sky's click-hungry post-match debate with that will have to be shortenned.

www.premierleague.com 

Haringey council pretty much ordered it to be moved because of the strike. I suspect the police also were not keen on a match, at a stadium as big as Spurs, with such significant transport disruption.

I doubt a Sunday evening rail service is much better than a strike day service anyway, especially if the strike starts at midnight meaning Sunday night services will likely be affected to ensure trains are where they need to be anyway.

(30-03-2024, 02:59 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I doubt a Sunday evening rail service is much better than a strike day service anyway, especially if the strike starts at midnight meaning Sunday night services will likely be affected to ensure trains are where they need to be anyway.
Within London transport is still pretty good on a Sunday. A national rail strike wouldn’t have caused a cancellation but the loss of the London Underground as well as national rail services that serve the stadium is chaos.

Really disappointing how sports organisations keep doing this. Tonight a really bad example, made even worse by one team already changing out of their first kit.

x.com 

x.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • JamieMurph25

I know rugby are addressing that with future Ireland v Wales fixtures to feature a change strip.