Premier League Coverage

The delay of the implementation of automated offside is down to the Premier League parting ways with current offside tech providers HawkEye, and the new partners will need additional testing. Why is all this being sorted out in April and May into August not a few months back will remain a mystery.

www.espn.com 

Another Sunday coming up with the Sunday Premier League kick-offs not in the standard pattern.

Everton v. Nottingham Forest, the first Sky game, is a 13:30 kick-off (rather than 14:00), with the second match, Fulham v. Liverpool, kicking off as normal at 16:30. Interestingly, the two non-televised matches are at 15:00 rather than the standard 14:00, which is the usual Sunday rescheduled kick-off time even when Sky's matches have been moved.

I can't see any reason why there should be a kick-off 30 minutes earlier, especially for a non-derby in the early kick-off. It is convenient for a viewers though - the early kick-off will not clash with the FA Cup semi-final, which is a 15:30 kick-off. So barring extra time, only the second half on Manchester United v. Coventry and the first half of Fulham v. Liverpool clashes of the three big matches televised from England.

Following an agreemenet with the FA, the 2024-25 Premier League season will start on the weekend of the 17th of Auguest, with the Community Shield the preceding week. The mid-season break has been removed to allow the season to start a little later, and I would bet that it will not return to the calendar in later seasons in light if the expansion of the number of UEFA matchweeks.

Matchweek 37 will take place on the same weekend as the FA Cup final, but will not have any fixtures on the Friday or Saturday; I would guess that matchweek will go into the midweek to make up for the FA Cup finalists' fixtures. There will be no Premier League fixtures on the weekends of the FA Cup fifth round and quarter-finals.

www.premierleague.com 

That means from 2026 all Matchweek 37 matches will be shown in TV as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • RhysJR

What's the reason TNT Sports have two matches today when they have had one match on every other weekend matchweek?

(27-04-2024, 01:51 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  What's the reason TNT Sports have two matches today when they have had one match on every other weekend matchweek?
All depends on the rights package they picked (up to 4 packages for one broadcaster, domestically) and the matches they want to show to the subscribers.

(27-04-2024, 01:51 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  What's the reason TNT Sports have two matches today when they have had one match on every other weekend matchweek?

To use up their quota of games; there was an occasion (or two) where TNT didn't choose to show a game on a Premier League weekend matchday.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scratch_Perry's post:
  • RhysJR

I think there's been a bit of horse-trading from the original two packs that BT signed up for - they didn't show all ten games in their 'two midweek rounds' package, and there were a few extra games in the split week in winter. Sometimes their Saturday 12.30 match gets moved because one of the teams is in Europe or a cup, but I don't think that was the case with last night's pick. Not sure which pack it came from though.
[-] The following 2 users Like thegeek's post:
  • News Engineer, RhysJR