BBC/ITV Northern Ireland News

Quite a nice looking set, though there are a few missed opportunities in terms of applying the national set to the regions and does a feel a bit 'bare'. I feel there is easily room for some kind of rostrum there - I'm never a fan of furniture just being plonked on the floor. The sections below and above the videowalls could also have been pulled out a bit more to give the set some extra depth. Also feels a shame to waste a good portion of the studio on VR that is quite frankly unnecessary - a second set area could make it feel a bit more than just videowalls and a desk.

Will be interesting to see how they rollout this style to the English regions - if they get the full LED videowall treatment I'll be very impressed. The skyline backdrop does look very good on the high-pitch LEDs, hopefully we can see a return to skylines in other regions - newsroom backdrops for the regions can always feel a bit out of place and sterile sometimes. Will also be intrigued to see this style's version of a 'soft' set - they might try and impose desks on the English regions again, but they always seem to end up ditching them as soon as they can.

(14-11-2022, 08:04 PM)Rob Francis Wrote:  Video of the opening:

www.youtube.com 
Nice looking I assume VR set at 1:05, I hope any future Studio A NBH set looks as good as that!

The increasing trend towards things like red horizontal rectangles and upward vertical wipes (as per the example in the below clip) across BBC News output, makes me suspect that the whole "stripey globes" thing may well be not due to survive the spring 2023 refresh/revamp.

youtu.be 

If that is indeed the case, then the Newsline title sequence launched this evening would presumably be an interim one for the next few months only. Either that, or its existence is evidence that the "stripey globes" aren't going anywhere after all (sadly, as I'd be glad to see the back of them).

For me, this new Newsline title sequence has a similar vibe to the infamous Look North (Hull) titles that were like a "bad mock" recreation of NWT's first Salford-era titles storyboard/template. See also the 2nd/current version of the BBC An Là titles, which are like an inferior recreation of the original ones.
[-] The following 2 users Like Former Member 406's post:
  • bkman1990, Superman1986

The new BBC Newsline set looks really nice. It is a great improvement of what the previous set had looked before.

I do find it a bit odd however that the main studio desk does not a platform underneath it. The other news providers around Ireland all have a platform underneath their main news desk.

When BBC Newsline unveils their new desk to their audience for it's relaunch yesterday evening. It doesn't have a desk placed on a platform at all. The new main desk is just placed on the plain black studio floor. I do find that a little bit strange in terms of it's design.

However I probably not that surprised to learn that the studio space for Newsline in Ormeau Road in Belfast is maybe at a premium.

Aside from that the other elements of the new set really look great. I give it a 4 star rating for effort alone. The guys at BBC News NI did a great job.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bkman1990's post:
  • Superman1986

From shimmying through the Late Evening Edition of it. Is anyone else bothered by the single solitary tram that looks to have broken down? Just me then.

(15-11-2022, 07:50 AM)AaronLancs Wrote:  From shimmying through the Late Evening Edition of it. Is anyone else bothered by the single solitary tram that looks to have broken down? Just me then.

Yes I'm surprised the background doesn't have movement in it - the old one did, didn't it!?

A lot more movement - use of the set in last night's programme, I think it looks really good:

The View with Mark Carruthers will be broadcasting from the new studio tomorrow night which is about the autumn statement speech from Jeremy Hunt. Although the promo filmed for it was done in their temporary studio for the last time very recently.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bkman1990's post:
  • Superman1986

Decided I would wait a couple of days before giving my thoughts on the new set. Since its launch, Newsline have had an on/off pattern of good and bad sets (in my opinion.) Original was good, 1999 was bad, 04 good, 08 bad and the 2016 set was good. I was fearing this pattern would continue, but thankfully it hasn’t.

Watching Monday night’s programme, I quite liked the set, but I wasn’t overly impressed by it. After catching some of the programmes on Tuesday and today I can safely say it’s a great set. Everything just seemed more refined and looked better on screen. As others have said, it would look better if there was a rostrum for the desk, a backdrop with motion and I think a smaller version of B’s curved catwalk would look good as well. However these are just small nitpicks and it still looks great regardless.

Well done to all involved. It’d be great to see a very similar style of set implemented in all the English regions.

Sadly the Newsline DOG has made a reappearance, so it not being there for the first day of the new look was simply an error it seems. I really dislike it and wished they would drop it entirely. It's just completely unnecessary.
[-] The following 5 users Like rick's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, James, Superman1986, TVFan

Today's lunchtime news had no DOG again... do they just randomly choose when to show it now?
[-] The following 1 user Likes rick's post:
  • Superman1986