BBC/ITV Northern Ireland News

(18-05-2023, 10:46 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  BBC Newsline will be off air tomorrow due to a strike by NUJ members in BBC Northern Ireland
**Post edited after looking up the TV listings, but before seeing MFTJA's reply below**

The replacement programmes are...

Suzie Lee: Home Cook Hero (1:30pm), Weather Watchers with Barra Best (6:30pm), and The Chronicles of Belfast (10:30pm).

Some/all of which are presumably e.g. cut-down reversions etc. The latter two, at least, are clearly NI-oriented programmes. I've never heard of Suzie Lee, so don't know whether she is an NI person and/or whether her programme is NI-based/themed etc.

(19-05-2023, 12:12 AM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  I presume that BBC One NI will get News Channel simulcast in some/all of the Newsline slots, then?
You’d think that’d be the case, but we’re just getting programme repeats instead. www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • Former Member 406, Superman1986

(19-05-2023, 12:12 AM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  
(18-05-2023, 10:46 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  BBC Newsline will be off air tomorrow due to a strike by NUJ members in BBC Northern Ireland
**Post edited after looking up the TV listings, but before seeing MFTJA's reply below**

The replacement programmes are...

Suzie Lee: Home Cook Hero (1:30pm), Weather Watchers with Barra Best (6:30pm), and The Chronicles of Belfast (10:30pm).

Some/all of which are presumably e.g. cut-down reversions etc. The latter two, at least, are clearly NI-oriented programmes. I've never heard of Suzie Lee, so don't know whether she is an NI person and/or whether her programme is NI-based/themed etc.
She is an NI person and her programme is NI based.
[-] The following 2 users Like denton's post:
  • AJB39, Former Member 406

(18-05-2023, 11:03 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  The reason for the simulcasting of 5 Live was down to Radio Ulster originally planned to have a full day of political news from the election, so the planned amount of elections coverage has been wiped, with no time to bring in an emergency service.

If this had have been a regular Friday, I believe Good Morning Ulster, Nolan, Talkback and Evening Extra would be the only shows affected, with Radio Ulster maybe able to fill those slots with music shows.
Radio Ulster's election programme wasn't due to start until 4pm.

I'm assuming that some or all of the production team for The Connor Phillips show are in the NUJ. 

Hugo Duncan moved away from the Radio Ulster studios up to Radio Foyle a few weeks ago, with a new production team who are likely in the NUJ.
[-] The following 1 user Likes denton's post:
  • MLehon

Breakfast in Northern Ireland is not carrying any regional news this morning just a recorded message stating that they can’t show the news due to industrial election with a BBC Breakfast continues shortly slide and really irritating music. I’m sorry I can’t post a video of it. I’m surprised they didn’t just carry the London news like the news channel does.
[-] The following 5 users Like AJB39's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406, Plutobug, Superman1986, UTVLifer

(19-05-2023, 12:15 AM)MFTJA Wrote:  
(19-05-2023, 12:12 AM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  I presume that BBC One NI will get News Channel simulcast in some/all of the Newsline slots, then?
You’d think that’d be the case, but we’re just getting programme repeats instead. www.bbc.co.uk 
It's the same as when the journalists in the English regions went on strike a couple of months ago, the bulletins were replaced by standby programmes.

The nations such as NI have their own presentation departments so why not fill with something

(19-05-2023, 07:30 AM)AJB39 Wrote:  Breakfast in Northern Ireland is not carrying any regional news this morning just a recorded message stating that they can’t show the news due to industrial election with a BBC Breakfast continues shortly slide and really irritating music. I’m sorry I can’t post a video of it. 
Here it is 
youtu.be 
[-] The following 4 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AJB39, MLehon, Plutobug, watchingtv

Makes much more sense to put local content in the slot. Even if the news channel was at full strength reporters in NI won't be filing reports for them anyway and London Union members are unlikely to want to produce an NI leaning bulletin.

(18-05-2023, 10:59 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  It’s also seriously affecting BBC Radio Ulster’s schedule with the station simulcasting with BBC Radio Five Live for most of tomorrow with the exception of some very brief NI news updates, a music programme and some pre-recorded podcasts.

Just to add to your point, I was in the car this afternoon and Scott Mills Radio 2 show was broadcast this afternoon on BBC Radio Ulster/Foyle instead of Ellis James & John Robins but apart from that it has been BBC Radio 5 Live the rest of today
[-] The following 1 user Likes NI92's post:
  • AJB39

(19-05-2023, 05:37 PM)NI92 Wrote:  
(18-05-2023, 10:59 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  It’s also seriously affecting BBC Radio Ulster’s schedule with the station simulcasting with BBC Radio Five Live for most of tomorrow with the exception of some very brief NI news updates, a music programme and some pre-recorded podcasts.

Just to add to your point, I was in the car this afternoon and Scott Mills Radio 2 show was broadcast this afternoon on BBC Radio Ulster/Foyle instead of Ellis James & John Robins but apart from that it has been BBC Radio 5 Live the rest of today
Nope Radio Ulster was actually with Radio 2 from 12 Noon as Jeremy Vine followed the Noon Local News Update.  Since 6pm Gemma Bradley has the first local Radio Ulster programme of the day.
[-] The following 2 users Like MLehon's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990

BBC Radio Foyle studios in Derry remained closed today - I was told by someone who lives there that it is strange not seeing the station open, but the gates were shut and locked, as was the whole building.
[-] The following 3 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • bkman1990, MLehon, UTVLifer