BBC/ITV East News

(26-03-2024, 11:11 AM)Mike Wrote:  Presumably because there's no rear projection to take account of, and the one wall is slightly trapezoid so following the structural line of the studio.

Interesting though the PTZ on the back of the tower is being used for the weather, which suggests it's ever so slightly too narrow to use a normal camera/ped in that area.

I didn't realise that was the PTZ but that presumably means it should always be perfectly aligned - assuming the tower doesn't move.

(26-03-2024, 11:11 AM)Mike Wrote:  Presumably because there's no rear projection to take account of, and the one wall is slightly trapezoid so following the structural line of the studio.

Interesting though the PTZ on the back of the tower is being used for the weather, which suggests it's ever so slightly too narrow to use a normal camera/ped in that area.

Yes, AIUI there's a little more floor space and that's mainly where the coffee table/sofa now is and the weather corner as it's a true rectangular set. The previous set had 2 side rear projection screens fanned slightly outwards at angles. The back screen was simply a light box with a fake newsroom backdrop.

The new set probably looks bigger on screen as the old rear projection screens had larger chunky frames around them and were smaller.

There still needs to be sufficient access behind the rear and side video walls/suitable walkway around the new set for maintenance.

(26-03-2024, 01:14 PM)Worzel Wrote:  There still needs to be sufficient access behind the rear and side video walls/suitable walkway around the new set for maintenance.

Yes, we saw from the behind the scenes of the new Points West set that, ideally, you leave a kind of walkway/access area around the entire set just so you can access the panels from behind.

Of course, they had enough spare space to do that quite easily in Bristol.

It was also posted here a while back that one of the Look North sets (not sure which one, sorry) had a firelane all around the sides of the set and you could walk all the way around the back of the set. It was narrow, but enough of a space to fit into if you had to work on something from the back.

The camera blooper in a region the other week also showed that, where there is space to do so, the left side of the tower (as the viewer looks at it) has a proper finishing bit of set edging too.

The moiré effect seen in other regions is really obvious on the weather this lunchtime.

(26-03-2024, 01:14 PM)Worzel Wrote:  The previous set had 2 side rear projection screens fanned slightly outwards at angles. The back screen was simply a light box with a fake newsroom backdrop.

From what we've seen at the other installations, and the plans that went out:
up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

One wall is fanned outwards on the new set, presumably to save costs on LED modules

Still a marked improvement, and will stop the comments on social media from certain viewers about Norwich being bottom of the pile etc

(26-03-2024, 08:54 AM)Spencer Wrote:  It’s nice, but personally I think Newcastle wins with its iconic view down the Tyne with the various bridges.

Just taken a look at Newcastle studio and I agree it is a good view.

Quote:  I have to be fair, I think Norwich's isn't that great - it looks just like a generic town or city in the UK. 
Id have to disagree with you there. Norwich is famous for its churches and cathedral include the Roman Catholic cathedral which is the largest parish church. There are also other notable landmarks of Norwich on shown including the art deco city hall and the Norman Castle. Can’t think of many city’s with similar sky line. I think there are a number of other regions which have views without any famous local landmarks. I will admit it would have been nice to use the view out of the forum across to the market and castle but we can hope for a change some time

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 

(26-03-2024, 03:41 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  Just taken a look at Newcastle studio and I agree it is a good view.

Id have to disagree with you there. Norwich is famous for its churches and cathedral include the Roman Catholic cathedral which is the largest parish church. There are also other notable landmarks of Norwich on shown including the art deco city hall and the Norman Castle. Can’t think of many city’s with similar sky line. I think there are a number of other regions which have views without any famous local landmarks. I will admit it would have been nice to use the view out of the forum across to the market and castle but we can hope for a change some time

I think in some regions, it's been a deliberate choice to make the background look a bit generic – thinking in particular of Leeds. It's a bit of a strange view of Leeds which doesn't include many of the city's more recognisable buildings in the main presenter shot. It really could be any city. I suspect this is a conscious decision given the programme often gets accused of being too Leeds centric by viewers in Bradford and Sheffield.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • chrisherald

(26-03-2024, 03:41 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  I'd have to disagree with you there. Norwich is famous for its churches and cathedral include the Roman Catholic cathedral which is the largest parish church. There are also other notable landmarks of Norwich on shown including the art deco city hall and the Norman Castle. Can’t think of many city’s with similar sky line. I think there are a number of other regions which have views without any famous local landmarks. I will admit it would have been nice to use the view out of the forum across to the market and castle but we can hope for a change some time

I appreciate that, and if the whole view is in shot then yes they are recognisable. However the close up shows trees and the corner of some form of church. I don't think Norwich has a 'skyline' and does look very generic and could be anywhere with cathedrals or churches and small, low rise buildings - it reminds me of the old Central closedown painting:

i0.wp.com 
Web Image

(source: TV Room)

A lot of these backgrounds suffer from that issue, the part you see the most of doesn't have any recognisable landmark in it and as said above, that's probably by design. In fact one third of the backdrop on the CU is 'frosted' so you can't really tell what it is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mike's post:
  • LDN

(26-03-2024, 11:34 AM)m_in_m Wrote:  I didn't realise that was the PTZ but that presumably means it should always be perfectly aligned - assuming the tower doesn't move.

I think the PTZ on the rear of the tower is actually being used to frame an angled shot towards the sofa, particularly when they use the video on the right hand wall for interviews (which I don't think they used on Monday). AFAIK, a standard straight on shot is used from a full sized camera near the rear of the studio when the weather is presented.

I know there are some on here which don't like these sets and have often made their views known. However, I do believe that this is a massive improvement at Norwich. It was one of the most challenging due to its size and shape (thankfully the grid height wasn't really low too!). However, the set has made the studio look much larger on screen and makes the space look a lot more impressive than it is in reality.
[-] The following 3 users Like Earlie37's post:
  • IanJRedman, interestednovice, Spencer

(26-03-2024, 09:16 AM)Mike Wrote:  One thing I really hate with these sets though - ever since they were first introduced - is the top of the programme where the date appears - the background image is always the daytime image, in some of them there is visible shadow/sunlight that just disappears when it's in dark mode.

I still find the date concept at the top of the programme a bit odd. At breakfast time, the date can matter but by 6.30pm not so much. I keep wondering who’ll be the first to drop it but last time I looked, they were all still doing it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes steve's post:
  • James