Eurovision Song Contest 2023

CF was contacted about this. Apologies Stuart if this originally came from your post here.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clean Feed's post:
  • Stuart

The announcements as voiced by the annos across network and the nations: theident.gallery 

[Image: tig96x96.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew Wood's post:
  • Happy2001, UTVLifer

(07-10-2022, 07:59 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  I have to say, I was preparing for Glasgow to be announced, but nope, it's happening 5 miles away from my house, and it's going to be interesting to see how the M&S Arena gets done up for the event come the 13th May

Same here, amazing to have this happen literally on my doorstep. I've already seen aspects of them avoiding using the M&S Bank branding - it's being referred to as it's 'proper' name; Liverpool Arena.

[Image: sig.jpg]

So what are the chances the BBC will bring back a live orchestra?
The last ESC to have an orchestra was back in 1998, and it was also hosted by the BBC.

(10-10-2022, 09:57 PM)8baan Wrote:  So what are the chances the BBC will bring back a live orchestra?
The last ESC to have an orchestra was back in 1998, and it was also hosted by the BBC.

Absolute zero chance of the orchestra coming back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes gottago's post:
  • DE88

(11-10-2022, 03:19 AM)Stuart Wrote:  
(10-10-2022, 09:57 PM)8baan Wrote:  So what are the chances the BBC will bring back a live orchestra?
Each act has its own musicians, very often just hidden out of view of the TV audience.

Why would the broadcaster need to provide an orchestra?

Personally I believe for it to be a song contest, that you'll need actual live music. Not some karaoke backing track.
Under current EBU rules even the musicians on stage who do have instruments are just forced to pretend to play, which I find odd.
Also the contest will regain its authenticity, and well.. playing with a live orchestra can look very nice on TV too.
Just look at how well the Italian San Remo festival looks each year, and how good the orchestra is there.

(11-10-2022, 05:32 AM)8baan Wrote:  
Each act has its own musicians, very often just hidden out of view of the TV audience.

Why would the broadcaster need to provide an orchestra?

Personally I believe for it to be a song contest, that you'll need actual live music. Not some karaoke backing track.
I don’t understand this. It’s literally the songs that people are judging.  For it to be a song contest it surely needs people singing first and foremost which it has. 

The show is arguably the most credible it’s been in decades, having an orchestra would just make it seem old fashioned and set the thing back many years. 

Not having an orchestra must mean it’s much more flexible for the type of act a broadcaster decides to bring to the show too. 

Very few are watching it are thinking “what this is missing is an orchestra”.

For the show to continue to be successful it needs to move with the times and represent modern popular music. I’m not saying an orchestra doesn’t ever have a part to play in that but generally it doesn’t.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • DE88

None of the acts have their own musicians. All music needs to be be pre-recorded. Only vocals can be live, and sometimes backing vocalists are hidden just outside of view.

You simply couldn't produce such a highly paced show with constantly changing live musicians. Vocal mics can be handled, instruments not so much.

(11-10-2022, 06:58 PM)chaose Wrote:  
None of the acts have their own musicians. All music needs to be be pre-recorded. Only vocals can be live, and sometimes backing vocalists are hidden just outside of view.

You simply couldn't produce such a highly paced show with constantly changing live musicians. Vocal mics can be handled, instruments not so much.

I'm sure there'll be a role for the RLPO at some point, even if it's just for the All You Need Is Love finale (pure speculation but it's Liverpool so what are the odds etc.)

"News certainly does travel fast!"

(12-10-2022, 05:14 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(11-10-2022, 06:58 PM)chaose Wrote:  None of the acts have their own musicians. All music needs to be be pre-recorded. Only vocals can be live, and sometimes backing vocalists are hidden just outside of view.

Perhaps you should view the recording of Sam Ryder and his team playing the music LIVE at the event!

The keyboard player and the drummer on opposite sides of the stage weren't there for fun!

The event producers spend months rehearsing the necessary changes for each act, that's why it looks so good on screen.

No they categorically were not playing live. Other than vocals 100% of the track you heard was prerecorded. They were there as part of the staging of the performance and nothing else.

Plugging in live instruments is explicitly banned in the rules: eurovision.tv 
[-] The following 2 users Like gottago's post:
  • bilky asko, Tim G