Eurovision Song Contest 2023

(12-10-2022, 06:11 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(12-10-2022, 05:46 PM)gottago Wrote:  Plugging in live instruments is explicitly banned in the rules: eurovision.tv 
Last time I checked it isn't yet 2023.

Watch the video . . .

www.youtube.com 

Yes I can see the musicians in that video, much like I could see them in the actual performance. They're literally there for show as part of the staging. They are not performing live. Those have been the rules for many years now. Sorry, I'm far more informed on this than you are.
[-] The following 2 users Like gottago's post:
  • bilky asko, chaose

From the 2019 rules for the contest - similar to 2017 and 2018 too

Quote:Backing tracks only

Contestants and Artists shall perform the songs live on stage, accompanied by a recorded backing-track only (without live instruments). The Backing track shall contain no vocals of any kind or any vocal imitations aiming at replacing or assisting the live/original voice of the Contestant(s) […].The Host Broadcaster and the ESC Executive Supervisor shall verify respect for this rule.

web.archive.org 

[Image: tig96x96.png]

Didn’t they change the rules last year to allow pre-recorded vocals in the backing tracks?

The ESC has long had the practice of hiding vocalists at the back or side of the stage (even backstage - infamously in 1984, the UK entry had three backing singers backstage and of the three featured on camera only one was actually singing.)

The rules are that maximum of 6 performers can be on stage, so if there’s only a lead singer and 4 others, it’s always worth looking out for another singer lurking somewhere in the dark. Rats may well be smelt :-)

(18-10-2022, 09:28 AM)Deejay Wrote:  Didn’t they change the rules last year to allow pre-recorded vocals in the backing tracks?
This is correct. Since 2021 pre-recorded backing vocals are now allowed, though the lead vocals must still be performed live. This was brought in under the pretence of reasons due to COVID to allow delegations to bring fewer people, but in reality, it is here to stay for the long haul. 

Personally, although some authenticity is lost in it being a "live performance" it sounds all the better for it, especially in pop songs where live BVs can often sound awful.

The UK's Junior Eurovision 2022 Entry:
Freya Skye - Lose My Head

www.youtube.com 

The UK commentators (or hosts as they've been called for some reason) for JESC are Lauren Layfield, an early morning host on Capital, and HRVY, a singer who was on Strictly. A little surprised they haven't gone for someone a bit more well known but then I can't really think of any suggestions myself. Scott and/or Rylan wouldn't really work for this.

I wonder if "hosts" suggests they might do some BBC3 semi-final style intervals, though thankfully that was absent this year.

twitter.com 

I'd like to think they're both well known in the CBBC audience. Layfield was a presenter for CBBC HQ until recently and has hosted The Dengineers and The Playlist. HRVY-no-vowels was on Friday Download in the early 10s and is popular with that demographic I'd like to think.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Josh's post:
  • Ma76

(21-11-2022, 05:35 PM)Josh Wrote:  I'd like to think they're both well known in the CBBC audience. Layfield was a presenter for CBBC HQ until recently and has hosted The Dengineers and The Playlist. HRVY-no-vowels was on Friday Download in the early 10s and is popular with that demographic I'd like to think.

He last presented Friday Download in 2015, so unless you were at the bottom end of CBBC's demographic then, and still watching CBBC for that matter, I don't know

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]

www.ebu.ch 

Bad decision to scrap the jury vote from the semi’s. Block voting will return to having a major effect and the reduction in that has helped the contest recover its image in the UK again. How long until it’s scrapped from the final.

(22-11-2022, 12:23 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  www.ebu.ch 

Very bad decision to scrap the jury vote from the semi. Block voting will return instantly and dominate again.

I’d be interested to know the reason why. I’d suspect it’s to increase voting in the semis - maybe historically it’s been quite low. Gives them the ability to push the line of it all being in the viewers’ hands and generate more revenue if more people vote. I suspect the integrity of the vote and the results aren’t at the forefront of this decision.