Eurovision Song Contest 2023

www.youtube.com 

This is pretty interesting, showing channels across Europe joining the Broadcast... although Italy doesn't quite make it on time....
[-] The following 12 users Like Ash101's post:
  • AaronLancs, agentsquash, AJB39, DeMarkay, Happy2001, IanJRedman, London Lite, MorganLamia, Omnipresent, Telefunken, thePineapple, UTVLifer

You have to assume the Italian broadcaster knew they were going to crash in with them having the Eurovision frontcap ready to go.

The BBC came close to missing the start a few years ago when Fathers for Justice staged their protest in the Lottery studio, I believe they only just got the draw completed in time after the interruption to get to the Eurovision on time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Brekkie

(16-05-2023, 10:21 AM)Ash101 Wrote:  www.youtube.com 

This is pretty interesting, showing channels across Europe joining the Broadcast... although Italy doesn't quite make it on time....

You just don't realise how complicated it is.

(16-05-2023, 10:39 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  You have to assume the Italian broadcaster knew they were going to crash in with them having the Eurovision frontcap ready to go.

The BBC came close to missing the start a few years ago when Fathers for Justice staged their protest in the Lottery studio, I believe they only just got the draw completed in time after the interruption to get to the Eurovision on time.

And they seemed to join as the scene changes as well.

I came here to post this video too... good stuff, I love that sort of thing.

RAI obviously knew what they were doing, there were 3 rehearsals of the show for them to know how it starts, and of course they had the Eurovision ident ready. I wonder if there's some sort of advertising rule/restriction that meant they have to have an advert or sponsorship after 2100?

Interesting that the commercial channels have contest sponsors sting before and after the programme

This must be the first time ever where we've had a bad result yet there hasn't been much (or anything?) about it being political or that everyone hates the UK. Seemingly just an acceptance that it wasn't a strong performance. Hopefully a corner has indeed be turned though that will no doubt depend on having better results in the next few years.
[-] The following 8 users Like gottago's post:
  • benzj, BillyH, cando, ethanjbrady, JamieD, JosiahStuart, London Lite, Stuart

(16-05-2023, 05:26 PM)gottago Wrote:  This must be the first time ever where we've had a bad result yet there hasn't been much (or anything?) about it being political or that everyone hates the UK. Seemingly just an acceptance that it wasn't a strong performance. Hopefully a corner has indeed be turned though that will no doubt depend on having better results in the next few years.
I think it's more the point that many viewers were just proud that the UK produced an amazing festival in Liverpool and a set of programmes for the contest to the rest of the EBU and elsewhere.

My thanks to Germany for saving us from being last. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • benzj, UTVLifer

The 8pm BST start time has not always been the start time for the contest - For example back 50 years ago in 1973 the contest started at the later time of 9.30pm. Even at the end of the 70s in 1979 it started at 9pm.

The 8pm start time didn't come into place until 1980, and I wonder why they chose the 8pm British start time from 1980 onward. They were happy enough for it to air very late in Europe up until 1980.

(16-05-2023, 02:47 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I came here to post this video too... good stuff, I love that sort of thing.

RAI obviously knew what they were doing, there were 3 rehearsals of the show for them to know how it starts, and of course they had the Eurovision ident ready. I wonder if there's some sort of advertising rule/restriction that meant they have to have an advert or sponsorship after 2100?

Interesting that the commercial channels have contest sponsors sting before and after the programme

How many "breaks" were there during the contest.  They're usually obviously preceeded by and followed by the stings but they seemed relatively infrequent in the interval and voting stage.

(16-05-2023, 05:26 PM)gottago Wrote:  This must be the first time ever where we've had a bad result yet there hasn't been much (or anything?) about it being political or that everyone hates the UK. Seemingly just an acceptance that it wasn't a strong performance. Hopefully a corner has indeed be turned though that will no doubt depend on having better results in the next few years.
I think it’s two fold, the successful hosting of the event overshadowed the UK result and it’s pretty hard to say it’s impossible for the UK to win because everyone hates us after finishing second last year considering that was always going to be as high as any country other than Ukraine could possibly achieve last year regardless of the song. 

However the UK performance and placing does suggest last year was an anomaly rather than  the UK suddenly cracking how to get good at picking its entry.

(16-05-2023, 05:57 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  The 8pm BST start time has not always been the start time for the contest - For example back 50 years ago in 1973 the contest started at the later time of 9.30pm. Even at the end of the 70s in 1979 it started at 9pm.

The 8pm start time didn't come into place until 1980, and I wonder why they chose the 8pm British start time from 1980 onward. They were happy enough for it to air very late in Europe up until 1980.
Presumably when it started at 9.30pm it finished a lot earlier. And you didn’t have much Eastern Europe involvement.

8pm is a good compromise, as it’s 9pm for most of mainland Western Europe which is reasonable and its reasonable for the UK & Ireland. Of course in Spain they could probably get away with airing it a couple of hours later.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • UTVLifer