Eurovision Song Contest 2023

King Ken will have left Radio 2 by the time the contest takes place. I expect they will be looking for a replacement. Rylan would appear to be a good choice to me - he has an affiliation with Eurovision already, and already presents on Radio 2. The same could be said of Scott Mills on both counts.

Be interesting to see how it goes. I feel like having three presenters for the semi-finals and four presenters for the grand final is perhaps a bit 'overkill'. (Not unique to the 2023 contest, of course - plenty of recent contests have had three/four hosts.) I feel like if they were set on having four hosts, it would have been nice to have had a 50/50 split of UK/Ukrainian presenters, rather than the 75/25 split we've ended up with. Not massively sure about Alesha Dixon; she's got some live TV experience, certainly, but I don't think she'd've been at the top of my list of people in consideration to host one of the world's biggest live TV events. Similarly, Hannah Waddingham seems a bit of a wildcard too. Doubt many people had bets on her involvement! Glad they've got some Ukrainian representation in the form of Julia Sanina; they were the winning country after all. I'd expected Timur Miroschnychenko to be on stage, front and centre in a sparkly suit fulfilling this role, if I'm honest, but he appears to still have some level of involvement, so we'll see what form that takes in due course. Not too sure how Graham Norton's swapping back and forth from host to commentator will work out, though. Seems unnecessarily chaotic - surely Mel Giedroyc (or someone else) could have provided the commentary unaided, even if it's just for this year while Graham's presenting? Anyway... lots of unknowns yet... we shall see how it goes!

Ultimately, as a Eurovision fan who's seen us fare terribly for the past two decades, I'm just thrilled that it's taking place in the UK this year (albeit on behalf of Ukraine) in any form; it's not something I could ever have imagined seeing, post-Michael Rice, post-Joe and Jake, post-Electro Velvet... (I could go on...)

Anyway, really feels like things are starting to take shape now. I think I can officially start getting excited for May!
[-] The following 1 user Likes DavidWhitfield's post:
  • DeMarkay

God, knew the BBC getting Eurovision right wouldn't last long. Such an uninspiring line up of hosts and they're messing up the commentary too. If Graham is hosting the main show then surely Rylan is far better than Mel for additional commentary during the final - the coverage significantly improved when he (via a couple of others I think) replaced her on the BBC3/4 coverage.

Perhaps this wasn't going to be the year they'd sideline Scott but with the Radio 2 role open it would have been the right time to do so. I suspect he'll do the semi finals for BBC1 and final for R2 - although with no announcement on that perhaps they are trying to see if they can arrange a swansong for Ken.

You've got presenters involved in Eurovision previously (from the UK and Ukraine), people who are more than competent but new to it, as well as someone well-known outside the country who is a bit of an unknown quantity. Were you expecting the ghost of Terry Wogan or Prince William to be hosting as well?
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • scottishtv

(22-02-2023, 11:02 AM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  Not too sure how Graham Norton's swapping back and forth from host to commentator will work out, though. Seems unnecessarily chaotic - surely Mel Giedroyc (or someone else) could have provided the commentary unaided, even if it's just for this year while Graham's presenting? Anyway... lots of unknowns yet... we shall see how it goes!

Terry Wogan managed to present & commentate in 1998 when there was just him and Ulrika Jonsson presenting. There isn't that much presenting to be done during the performance part of the show. Maybe Mel would only be required for the voting.

I've attended a concert where Hannah Waddingham was host for the evening and she was very good at it, so I reckon that's why she's hosting. Plus, she's fairly well known worldwide thanks to being in some big shows (Game of Thrones, Ted Lasso, Sex Education), so that will have played a factor.

Alesha I'm a little less sure about. I've never been convinced about her as a presenter, but she does know live TV. I was expected either Claudia Winkelman or AJ Odudu to be involved.

Also, with Mel commentating, will she be introduced as being "the same height as Argentinian footballer Cristian Pavon"?
[-] The following 2 users Like JLav25's post:
  • Brekkie, DeMarkay

(22-02-2023, 11:26 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  God, knew the BBC getting Eurovision right wouldn't last long. Such an uninspiring line up of hosts and they're messing up the commentary too. If Graham is hosting the main show then surely Rylan is far better than Mel for additional commentary during the final - the coverage significantly improved when he (via a couple of others I think) replaced her on the BBC3/4 coverage.
I don't know how you could possibly describe Hannah Waddingham hosting in particular as "uninspired". Very left field choice and she's sure to bring something very different to the show. And do you know anything about the Ukrainian host?

I found Mel and Rylan to be on a par commentary wise, the weak link for me for quite a few years has been Scott. Graham and Mel have hosted things together in the past so probably know how to work round each other better than Graham would with another commentator.
[-] The following 10 users Like gottago's post:
  • bilky asko, Brekkie, cando, carlbob, chaose, DeMarkay, JamieD, Jeff, JosiahStuart, WhisperOfCinnamon

Interesting line up. Not surprised Graham is down to host despite what’s been said previously. Although it does seem a bit disrespectful for the Graham not to be doing the semi-final.

Hannah Waddingham makes sense, just due to her international profile and if she’s judged to be a good presenter as stated above.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • JosiahStuart

I notice all three female hosts have strong singing voices. I wonder if some or all of them will perform?

(22-02-2023, 12:59 PM)Jon Wrote:  Interesting line up. Not surprised Graham is down to host despite what’s been said previously. Although it does seem a bit disrespectful for the Graham not to be doing the semi-final.

Thinking of it more he did previously say he didn't want to host so maybe this was his own compromise if the BBC were desperate to get him to host.
[-] The following 3 users Like gottago's post:
  • DeMarkay, Jon, JosiahStuart

I would guess Graham would just appear at the the beginning and once the songs have been performed for the interval and voting. Doing commentary on the singing part.