Eurovision Song Contest 2023

(26-02-2023, 06:44 PM)gottago Wrote:  
(26-02-2023, 12:26 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I've never met anyone in the Czech Republic who refers to the country as Czechia (or Česko).

Czechia is a short-form English version introduced in 2016 by the Czech Government which has generally been ignored by the population. The official name of the country remains Česká Republika (Czech Republic).  A Czech friend of mine got quite annoyed when he noticed that Google Earth referred to his home country as Czechia.

The official name remains the same because it's the long form name. A bit like how the official name of France is the French Republic, a lot of countries are like this. Introducing 'Czechia' is essentially correcting a long term error as almost all other languages already have shorter name for the country. It's still early days for the name and I'm sure it will grow in popularity as it becomes more normal.

Lest we forget FYROM/FYR Macedonia/North Macedonia...

"News certainly does travel fast!"

Get ready for the UK to be on the right hand side of the scoreboard this year!
[-] The following 2 users Like DeMarkay's post:
  • aaron_scotland, chaose

(09-03-2023, 09:57 AM)DeMarkay Wrote:  Get ready for the UK to be on the right hand side of the scoreboard this year!

It has a catchy beat but the lyrics 'Instead I wrote a song' are so repetitive and annoying. I fear you are right.
[-] The following 2 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • DeMarkay, ethanjbrady

(09-03-2023, 09:57 AM)DeMarkay Wrote:  Get ready for the UK to be on the right hand side of the scoreboard this year!

The same was said last year

(09-03-2023, 09:59 AM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  

It has a catchy beat but the lyrics 'Instead I wrote a song' are so repetitive and annoying. I fear you are right.

Well at least we came second last year and are hosting it on behalf of Ukraine. I’m glad that Eurovision buzz is back in the UK, I would like to be proved wrong and wish Mae the best of luck!

It’s a really good song. I’m confident it will be performed well, something the UK struggled with up to last year.
[-] The following 4 users Like all new phil's post:
  • cando, Jon, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(09-03-2023, 09:59 AM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  

Repetitive and annoying. Sounds good to me, at least it’s not forgettable.

You need something that will get stuck in peoples heads after one listen. I quite like the song and sounds very contemporary.

These things are very difficult to call though, as it’ll depend on how it comes together on the night, the running order and what other nations are offering.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • scottishtv

It sounds like a song that would do well at Eurovision.

Take from that what you will.
[-] The following 3 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • DeMarkay, thePineapple, UTVLifer

Worth noting BBC1 are giving it an airing tonight from 8.55-9.05 between Dragons' Den and The Apprentice, which is quite a high profile slot considering they could just stick it in The One Show.

I've only heard a clip and not much thoughts either way on it at the moment, but the clip didn't see me want to seek out the whole song. Hopefully a respectable 5-15th finish - I doubt the BBC want to win and host again, or in that case come second to Ukraine.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • DeMarkay, UTVLifer

(09-03-2023, 06:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Worth noting BBC1 are giving it an airing tonight from 8.55-9.05 between Dragons' Den and The Apprentice, which is quite a high profile slot considering they could just stick it in The One Show.

I've only heard a clip and not much thoughts either way on it at the moment, but the clip didn't see me want to seek out the whole song.    Hopefully a respectable 5-15th finish - I doubt the BBC want to win and host again, or in that case come second to Ukraine.

I doubt the EBU want Ukraine to win again both as the reputation of political voting would grow and the fact not all second place broadcasters would be willing to host on behalf and Ukraine is clearly still not safe enough to host and is unlikely to be so by September when a decision would have to be made.
[-] The following 3 users Like Newshound47's post:
  • DeMarkay, Jeff, UTVLifer