Eurovision Song Contest 2023

(28-04-2023, 01:00 PM)Ballinagrappa Wrote:  Does anyone think that the rail strikes will affect the Eurovision Final much with people trying to get to Liverpool? It seems the only operators operating into and around the City on the day of the final are now Transport for Wales (TfW) and Merseyrail.

No, why would it? I don't think they struggled to sell tickets. Enough people want to attend that any that got tickets who can't now make it because of lack of transport could be replaced several times over by people who didn't get tickets originally. Don't believe everything in the Daily Mail. The rail strikes will have zero effect on the programme. Unless Rylan was arriving on the day by train?

(28-04-2023, 05:35 PM)Nobby Wrote:  
(28-04-2023, 01:00 PM)Ballinagrappa Wrote:  Does anyone think that the rail strikes will affect the Eurovision Final much with people trying to get to Liverpool? It seems the only operators operating into and around the City on the day of the final are now Transport for Wales (TfW) and Merseyrail.

No, why would it? I don't think they struggled to sell tickets. Enough people want to attend that any that got tickets who can't now make it because of lack of transport could be replaced several times over by people who didn't get tickets originally. Don't believe everything in the Daily Mail. The rail strikes will have zero effect on the programme. Unless Rylan was arriving on the day by train?

I guess theres two questions here.

Will it effect the production of the show - no of course not

Will it effect the fans - yes absolutely.
[-] The following 2 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • Alessi, Stuart

(28-04-2023, 06:01 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  
(28-04-2023, 05:35 PM)Nobby Wrote:  No, why would it? I don't think they struggled to sell tickets. Enough people want to attend that any that got tickets who can't now make it because of lack of transport could be replaced several times over by people who didn't get tickets originally. Don't believe everything in the Daily Mail. The rail strikes will have zero effect on the programme. Unless Rylan was arriving on the day by train?

I guess theres two questions here.

Will it effect the production of the show - no of course not

Will it effect the fans - yes absolutely.
It will affect fans. If they have enough notice I’m sure the arena can still be full. If there is some way distributing tickets.

In reality though I’d imagine a lot of people will want to hang on until the last minute though to see if they can arrange anything or plans change. Although for the strikes to be called off they need a few days notice. 

I think in reality any strike action will be put on hold for the competition as if it effected the contest it would be embarrassing for the UK government and probably not reflect well on the unions.

Fans are already organising car shares and such. It'll be fine!

(29-04-2023, 11:17 AM)Tim G Wrote:  Fans are already organising car shares and such. It'll be fine!

If football fans can manage to get to Boxing Day matches when the National Rail network is largely closed by car/coach etc, I doubt it'll have much effect on Eurovision.
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • Edogawa Ranpo, Tim G

twitter.com 

Worth the licence fee alone surely.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 2 users Like Josh's post:
  • aaron_scotland, Tim G

Is this basically iPlayer's first FAST channel?!

The heart shapes they're using to introduce the songs are the flag colour ones they're using for this year's contest, but I wonder which ones they'll use for songs from countries not competing in 2023 (if there are any in the mix).

iPlayer have have had pop up channels before, mainly for around the FA Cup. I’m sure there are other examples too.

(30-04-2023, 07:35 PM)Jon Wrote:  iPlayer have have had pop up channels before, mainly for around the FA Cup. I’m sure there are other examples too.

Aren't they just live events as opposed to an endlessly looped pre-recorded show akin to a FAST channel which is presumably what this is.

(30-04-2023, 07:46 PM)gottago Wrote:  
(30-04-2023, 07:35 PM)Jon Wrote:  iPlayer have have had pop up channels before, mainly for around the FA Cup. I’m sure there are other examples too.

Aren't they just live events as opposed to an endlessly looped pre-recorded show akin to a FAST channel which is presumably what this is.
I think they include the BBC One live games but they tend tend to have looped content the rest of the time and they’ll be there for the weekend.