Eurovision Song Contest 2023

(08-05-2023, 03:44 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  
(08-05-2023, 02:15 PM)DeMarkay Wrote:  Quite simply, M&S is a commercial business, and the BBC wouldn’t want to give undue prominence to them, so that’s why the M&S logo is being covered up.

On a side note, the "undue prominence" rule at the BBC seems to be enforced only when the BBC feel like it - just look at many shows past and present, and real life commercial products are always seen fully on screen. Most famously Only Fools and Horses seemed to show nearly every household product that was on sale in the 80s and 90s, from the Daily Mirror, to Asda shopping bags, to Kellogs Cornflakes etc, with none of those products turned away from the camera. 

In Mrs Brown's Boys, Brennans Bread is there in her kitchen every edition, a bread which is real and is sold in Ireland today.
That's because undue prominence is more an issue on commercial TV because that has paid adverts. For example having a prominent shot of a box of Kelloggs cereal when Weetabix are advertising in the break is unfair to Weetabix. 

It was traditionally not a problem on the BBC, that was until things like UKTV came along. There was an example I heard in a training session once about an episode of Birds of a Feather (shows how long ago this was!) where they walked in and put some Tesco Bags front of shot on the kitchen counter. It was fine on BBC1, but caused issues on their other channels like Prime and UK Gold 

Of course the BBC is a lot more careful brand names generally now, but that's more a sensitivity due to reputation than an actual rule

Of the two shows last night though the first was a bit of a mess more appropriate for BBC3 or the red button really, but the Jason Manford show was surprisingly good - more of a love letter to Eurovision than a pass take.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Gary Baldy

BBC Radio 2's coverage is brought to you by M&S Bank. twitter.com 

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Josh's post:
  • DeMarkay

(09-05-2023, 07:41 PM)Josh Wrote:  BBC Radio 2's coverage is brought to you by M&S Bank. 
And the actual programme by John Lewis.

I think this Ukrainian influence will give the show more of a Eurovision feel than the show might have had over one that’s hosted by the United Kingdom outright.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • DeMarkay

The set in the Liverpool Arena looks amazing.

It was incorrect to say that it's the "first time another nation has hosted for the winner" - as the UK have done it four times before on behalf of someone else.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • chaose, ethanjbrady, fanoftv

(09-05-2023, 08:11 PM)Stuart Wrote:  The set in the Liverpool Arena looks amazing.

It was incorrect to say that it's the "first time another nation has hosted for the winner" - as the UK have done it four times before on behalf of someone else.
I thought that. But I think on those past occasions it was just a case of the winner not hosting the following year, rather than the UK doing it on the winners behalf which is what it’s been sold as this time. This time Ukraine is literally at the heart of the contest.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jon's post:
  • DeMarkay, Stuart, UTVLifer

Not at all jealous as a Glaswegian that it's being held Liverpool. The arena is looking absolutely amazing though.
[-] The following 6 users Like Gary McEwan's post:
  • Alessi, DeMarkay, Jon, Stuart, thePineapple, W1ll

(09-05-2023, 08:11 PM)Stuart Wrote:  The set in the Liverpool Arena looks amazing.

I thought just the same when they said it. 
The set does indeed look fantastic. The opening was wonderful too. I expected this to be in UHD.

(09-05-2023, 08:19 PM)fanoftv Wrote:  I expected this to be in UHD.

Could be that the BBC UHD stuff is usually always in HDR too - and the live stuff is usually outdoor sporting events. I’m not sure what that ends up looking like in a studio setup like this.

Are the BBC putting in ad breaks for the European channels that normally take the ad breaks instead of the chit chat?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gary McEwan's post:
  • UTVLifer