Eurovision Song Contest 2023

I’m glad most of the presumably world had adverts during Alesha Dixon section, which took an unexpected turn.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jon's post:
  • Frances, UTVLifer

I am enjoying the graphics, the staging effects, and the Ukrainian/UK postcards.

We don't do things by halves, do we? Heart
[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • DeMarkay, fanoftv, UTVLifer

(09-05-2023, 08:29 PM)Gary McEwan Wrote:  Are the BBC putting in ad breaks for the European channels that normally take the ad breaks instead of the chit chat?
Every year, the contest has padding for countries that do not air commercial breaks. Not new this.

(09-05-2023, 08:40 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  
(09-05-2023, 08:29 PM)Gary McEwan Wrote:  Are the BBC putting in ad breaks for the European channels that normally take the ad breaks instead of the chit chat?
Every year, the contest has padding for countries that do not air commercial breaks. Not new this.

Yeah I know it does, but given the BBC are the host broadcaster it made me wonder if they would be doing the whole thing without an ad break for the international channels that are taking the coverage.

Many of the acts have transferred from video to excellent live performances very well.

I'm no 'Health and Safety' nerd (quite the opposite), but that platform for the presenters has no barrier. I must explain I have a fear of heights! Confused

I see they managed something for Sweden which was very similar to their video. I presume it's just not as heavy?

How are Sweden favourites. It’s not that good compared to her winner from 2012.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • Brekkie

(09-05-2023, 08:53 PM)Gary McEwan Wrote:  
(09-05-2023, 08:40 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Every year, the contest has padding for countries that do not air commercial breaks. Not new this.

Yeah I know it does, but given the BBC are the host broadcaster it made me wonder if they would be doing the whole thing without an ad break for the international channels that are taking the coverage.
Why would they do that? Countries which take ad breaks themselves don’t give countries that don’t 2 minutes of a blank screen when they host.

The international broadcasters requirements don’t change just because of who the host broadcaster is. I’d also argue it’s good for UK viewers that the singing part of broken up a bit.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jon's post:
  • chrisdafur, Happy2001, Jeff, Stooky Bill

(09-05-2023, 08:53 PM)Gary McEwan Wrote:  
(09-05-2023, 08:40 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Every year, the contest has padding for countries that do not air commercial breaks. Not new this.

It's part of the format, there's not much in terms of the structure of the show that the host broadcaster can change, just artistic stuff. It's the EBUs show

That said some ideas catch on and become regular features, like the flag parade

(09-05-2023, 08:40 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  
Also there is a different non commercial version of the show for those broadcasters who are ad free. The main feeds have sponsorship on the stings and graphics. If you have the app the splash screen of that gives an idea of the sponsorship
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Happy2001

I noticed there are people complaining about sound issues on other sites (though they mention they're watching on YouTube)

(09-05-2023, 09:06 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  
(09-05-2023, 08:53 PM)Gary McEwan Wrote:  Yeah I know it does, but given the BBC are the host broadcaster it made me wonder if they would be doing the whole thing without an ad break for the international channels that are taking the coverage.
It's part of the format, there's not much in terms of the structure of the show that the host broadcaster can change, just artistic stuff. It's the EBUs show

That said some ideas catch on and become regular features, like the flag parade

Also there is a different non commercial version of the show for those broadcasters who are ad free. The main feeds have sponsorship on the stings and graphics. If you have the app the splash screen of that gives an idea of the sponsorship
i.imgur.com 

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.