Eurovision Song Contest 2023

(09-05-2023, 11:07 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  Did feel like there wasn't much from Scott & Rylan tonight. Obviously no in vision interviews like they usually do (I presume they feel like they can't do those on BBC One?) but also the commentary is general just seemed quite flat/minimal compared to what even Graham does.

From Memory we didn't have the in vision segments last year either.

There were some during the second recap of the first semi final (i.e. the one we didn't vote in) with some interviews of contestants.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Josh's post:
  • Happy2001

(09-05-2023, 07:41 PM)Josh Wrote:  BBC Radio 2's coverage is brought to you by M&S Bank. twitter.com 
Just scanning through the Radio 2 coverage and Paddy O’Connell has named checked M&S Bank about 5 times! Where would we be without him?

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Josh's post:
  • Happy2001

(09-05-2023, 11:04 PM)Ballinagrappa Wrote:  Did the Ireland entry have some sound problems?
No, I think the inability to carry a tune was more biological than technical. Wink
[-] The following 4 users Like Stuart's post:
  • Brekkie, cando, ethanjbrady, Tvarchive

(09-05-2023, 11:14 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Fantastic show. Hannah Waddingham proving to be an inspired choice of host.

Have to say I thought we heard a little too much of Scott and Rylan - there were times I’d rather have heard what the hosts were saying when they were talking over them. I don’t know why but it being hosted in the UK made that feel a little jarring.

We heard far too much of Rylan and Scott when the hosts were talking.  It is always the case but it felt even worse tonight - little point in having a Ukrainian host if the two British commentators talk over her all night.

I was hoping they'd split them up this year and put Scott on the radio and Rylan on TV.   Both are good in the role but only one is needed.

I wasn't sold on Hannah at all TBH - for me the weakest of the three hosts by some distance.   Alesha carried the show.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • ethanjbrady, Nige, Stuart

There were very nice ESC themed titles for the One Show yesterday.

youtu.be 

In other news, I noticed the credits at the end last night. I am very surprised that the Ukrainian Broadcaster Suspilne had not been recognised as I thought they have been heavily involved in the background.

[Image: Suspilne.jpg]

I am also rather concerned about the carbon footprint of this bloke called Albert, he seems to get everywhere, and so must be doing plenty of travelling. Tongue 

(09-05-2023, 10:27 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  
(09-05-2023, 09:43 PM)Josh Wrote:  i.imgur.com 

Though amusingly, even in the UK the BBC doesn't get a sponsorship free feed as they just cover the logo with a blue square, you can tell as it isnt quite the same blue.

[Image: k3e9T7P.png]
They do, but presumably it'll just be clean graphics but not clean recorded sections (VTs in old terminology) Having two different graphics outputs is a lot easier than editing and playing dual versions of every clip (it's what BBC News has done for years) .

In recent years the BBC gallery have run their own credits and not taken the ones from the main production. Not only does this enable them to omit the massive lost of company names but also add their own production staff doing the domestic output
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Happy2001

(10-05-2023, 08:11 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  In recent years the BBC gallery have run their own credits and not taken the ones from the main production. Not only does this enable them to omit the massive lost of company names but also add their own production staff doing the domestic output

They do take the normal credits, but cover up the sponsors. Last year this resulted in two credits types on screen at the same time:
[Image: 2XpcpPal.png]

And for the sponsors they just had a blank cover up:
[Image: LGPkgDtl.png]

This year they are covering up the sponsors with the UK credits.
In the credits of SF1 you actually could see them leaving a little bit of a gap after the first slide so the UK gallery had time to insert the cover up.
[-] The following 2 users Like ASnep's post:
  • Happy2001, Stuart

2.3m for the semi final, by far and away the highest rated semi final in UK history. Peak of 3.3m for the results. Did get beaten by IAC from 9pm onwards.

I was in the arena last night and by sheer luck (and I really do mean luck, I won two competitions!) I'm at semi 2 and the final. I cannot express how good the flag graphics on the stage and green room seating looked in the arena. You can see it behind the on screen graphics on TV but totally unobscured in person they looked electric.

Absolutely fantastic show in person, the stage is quite something. All of the acts sounded incredible in the room. Genuinely faultless show apart from a weird loud and repeating sound glitch during one of the Alesha interview bits, don't know if you could hear it on the show.
[-] The following 3 users Like gottago's post:
  • Happy2001, Stuart, TVFan

(09-05-2023, 09:58 PM)Josh Wrote:  Reports that Catherine Tate will be the UK's jury spokesperson on Saturday.
and it's now official:
twitter.com 

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 1 user Likes W. Knight's post:
  • Stuart