Eurovision Song Contest 2023

(10-05-2023, 02:02 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  
(10-05-2023, 11:44 AM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  Im fairly sure your mistaken and they manually cover up the graphics during the live show.

EDIT: As far as Im aware theres only 2 versions of the show, one with all the sponsors and blanks in the graphics to put telephone numbers in and another one called RoW (Rest of the World) which has slightly more sponsorship and the app link rather than telephone numbers.

They do this with the sponsor logo on the tranisitions too, So it will require the BBC using the Jury Show rehearsals to note down the times, or they are provided by EBU and being very quick on the mixer to put in the blank covers.
I'm not mistaken - the EBU is providing a 'non-commercial' feed of the shows, known by the EBU as the clean. Though how this differs from the main I don't know (I'll try and watch then for comparison later in the week).

There are several feeds of the Main for resilience so the BBC production team have them available as outside sources too so they still have to be ready to blank that if need be. Yes they have the rehearsals to know where the sponsorship bits will be. The voting graphics were played out on Monday so that every broadcaster could line up their telephone number graphics 

As you say there's also the Rest of the World feed. As far as I know this and the clean are sent out as unilaterals just to those who need them, but the main feeds are fed out via satellite as multilaterals to every member

Note - this is the case this year, whether theres been a commercial free version in other years I don't know.

Fair enough if you know for sure! I just didn't quite understand why the BBC would be blanking stuff if they had access to a clean feed.

Dock 10 talk about the use of the clean feed.
And their ability to mask the commercial sat feed
www.tvbeurope.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Technologist's post:
  • aaron_scotland, Happy2001, Stooky Bill

(10-05-2023, 04:56 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Not sure if it's the vote verification taking longer but they used to have 20 acts in the semi final and usually keep the show to around the 2 hr mark but now have 5 less performances but the show is 10-15 minutes longer.

I presume the sudden change in qualifier announcement method has knocked a couple of minutes off the running time so they now have to fill those minutes back.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 2 users Like Josh's post:
  • Brekkie, PJamo

(10-05-2023, 09:04 PM)Technologist Wrote:  Dock 10 talk about the use of the clean feed.
www.tvbeurope.com 

Brilliant thanks! So either they accidently left the mask on the clean feed then or were using the world feed satellite yesterday as it was deffo visible as a blue square.

(10-05-2023, 07:00 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  
(10-05-2023, 02:02 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I'm not mistaken - the EBU is providing a 'non-commercial' feed of the shows, known by the EBU as the clean. Though how this differs from the main I don't know (I'll try and watch then for comparison later in the week).

There are several feeds of the Main for resilience so the BBC production team have them available as outside sources too so they still have to be ready to blank that if need be. Yes they have the rehearsals to know where the sponsorship bits will be. The voting graphics were played out on Monday so that every broadcaster could line up their telephone number graphics 

As you say there's also the Rest of the World feed. As far as I know this and the clean are sent out as unilaterals just to those who need them, but the main feeds are fed out via satellite as multilaterals to every member

Note - this is the case this year, whether theres been a commercial free version in other years I don't know.

Fair enough if you know for sure! I just didn't quite understand why the BBC would be blanking stuff if they had access to a clean feed.
As I've already said in an earlier post - I suspect the commercial free version is just free of sponsorship in graphics, but not in VT segments. I'll have to try and compare the two when I can, but that makes sense as its straightforward to have multiple graphics engines, but less so to run multiple versions of video clips. 

Also as said above (and in the article above that) the BBC gallery have the main version available too so need to have the blanking available should that be used
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • aaron_scotland

(10-05-2023, 09:04 PM)Technologist Wrote:  Dock 10 talk about the use of the clean feed.
www.tvbeurope.com 
Thanks for the confirmation on that. 

As it says there's really no difference technically  between it happening in Liverpool and happening anywhere else. The shows are all still coming by EBU routes to the BBC. 

There's only a few differences this year, the first is Radio Merseyside is doing extra coverage and that'll also be on the red button. Plus the extra news coverage from Liverpool.

(11-05-2023, 09:01 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  
www.tvbeurope.com 
Thanks for the confirmation on that. 

As it says there's really no difference technically  between it happening in Liverpool and happening anywhere else. The shows are all still coming by EBU routes to the BBC. 

There's only a few differences this year, the first is Radio Merseyside is doing extra coverage and that'll also be on the red button. Plus the extra news coverage from Liverpool.

Im not sure even the OB trucks are from the UK, There was a clip in Semi 2 which airs tonight where the 4 kids tour the OB compound and they went into NEP 'UHD1' which I don't think is a UK one unless it was renamed, Which I guess makes sense with the coronation etc getting one from Europe was maybe easier.

(11-05-2023, 11:12 AM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  
(11-05-2023, 09:01 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Thanks for the confirmation on that. 

Im not sure even the OB trucks are from the UK, There was a clip in Semi 2 which airs tonight where the 4 kids tour the OB compound and they went into NEP 'UHD1' which I don't think is a UK one unless it was renamed, Which I guess makes sense with the coronation etc getting one from Europe was maybe easier.
The trucks (UHD1/UHD2) are the same NEP trucks from Netherlands / Sweden that have done the last few Eurovision broadcasts, with support from MixBus. Main uplink is also from a Dutch company.
[-] The following 3 users Like mcrdev's post:
  • aaron_scotland, chrisherald, Happy2001

(11-05-2023, 11:48 AM)mcrdev Wrote:  
(11-05-2023, 11:12 AM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  Im not sure even the OB trucks are from the UK, There was a clip in Semi 2 which airs tonight where the 4 kids tour the OB compound and they went into NEP 'UHD1' which I don't think is a UK one unless it was renamed, Which I guess makes sense with the coronation etc getting one from Europe was maybe easier.
The trucks (UHD1/UHD2) are the same NEP trucks from Netherlands / Sweden that have done the last few Eurovision broadcasts, with support from MixBus. Main uplink is also from a Dutch company.

Makes you realise how the host country doens't really matter a lot when its the same production really!
[-] The following 4 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • chaose, chrisdafur, DeMarkay, JamieD

Yes the days of each broadcaster making the show for the EBU are long gone. The last UK hosted one was done by BBC Resources and presumably went through TV Centre to get to the Eurovision network. Now they just turn up at the location and it's all self contained, with an extension to the EBU fibre network and some sat trucks to send the pictures back.

Think of it like the Olympics - they are covered by OBS no matter where they take place. The actual events are the same too, the host city puts it stamp on the event with the ceremonies and the graphic design
[-] The following 4 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • aaron_scotland, chrisdafur, Stuart, UTVLifer