Eurovision Song Contest 2023

BREAKING: Luxembourg will return to the Eurovision Song Contest in 2024:

m.youtube.com 

(12-05-2023, 02:47 PM)jlmiller Wrote:  BREAKING: Luxembourg will return to the Eurovision Song Contest in 2024:

m.youtube.com 
That’s very welcoming news.

(12-05-2023, 01:34 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I just don't get the Hannah love.  Not disgraced herself and better than most granted, but a long way off the likes of Petra Mede and it's Alesha who has been carrying things IMO.

I agree to an extent - Hannah does have a certain kooky vibe and seems to be having the time of her life and seems like a lot of fun. Alesha, certainly last night, seemed to be doing a bit more of the links and keeping the show running, such as the weird link between songs one and two. I haven't counted or anything so I could be wrong.

They also seemed to pair Hannah and Julia whereas Alesha carries more solo bits?

To make a parallel I'd say Alesha is in more of a 'Tess' role (albeit with rapping) whilst Hannah is more of a 'Claudia' - both bring something to the table of merit, do a good job, and bounce off each other and Julia well (who I guess is .....um....Anton? in this scenario)
[-] The following 4 users Like PJamo's post:
  • Brekkie, DeMarkay, GMc, UTVLifer

What role is Graham actually going to have?

(12-05-2023, 03:50 PM)agentsquash Wrote:  What role is Graham actually going to have?

Host/Commentator.

The BBC are absolutely committed to tower screens, even outside of news Big Grin

[Image: esc-towers.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like chaose's post:
  • Brekkie, DeMarkay, UTVLifer

(12-05-2023, 03:50 PM)agentsquash Wrote:  What role is Graham actually going to have?

He is doing the voting with Hannah and also said today Mel takes over commentary from the interval onwards so presumably will be one of the hosts during the interval as well as at the top of the show.

I guess during performances it'll be split similarly to the semis then Alesha and Julia will be in and around the green room for the results.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • UTVLifer

The supporting programme has been pretty good so far but this "Everyones a winner" countdown of the best of the rest ruined by having talking heads throughtout the performances as if it's going out at 10pm on C5.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • JT95, PWD, UTVLifer

I'm sure I read that Graham Norton announced before last year's contsdt that he was giving up eurovision commentary. Not sure if that's still the case but if so I'd have thought that Mel commentating is a try-out for her taking over from Graham next year.

(12-05-2023, 03:51 PM)Happy2001 Wrote:  

Host/Commentator.

There’s already three hosts though - Graham is great, but it does seem like throwing him in for the sake of it.

If he’s doing just the voting it means we may, as a UK audience, lose some of the best bits! Still, Mel has all the hallmarks of a good commentator…