Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Except right at the end. She did mention what Sweden needed to get the lead back from Finland. But by that point it should've been clear how many points were available, and that Sweden had won!
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • UTVLifer

I think it was a typical BBC fudge with Graham, which did just about worked, though he did sound out of breath after dashing back to the comms box after the opening bit with the hosts walking out

Overall, the presenting line-up was great this year, though Alesha and Julia did feel like spare parts somewhat last night, compared with what Italy offered up last year

(14-05-2023, 12:31 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Except right at the end. She did mention what Sweden needed to get the lead back from Finland. But by that point it should've been clear how many points were available, and that Sweden had won!

She was hardly going to ruin the cliffhanger by doing that!

(14-05-2023, 12:54 AM)DeMarkay Wrote:  Is it time that the jury vote goes? It’s been 7 years since the change and it’s been proven that the juries know absolutely nothing.

I've never been a fan of this combined method and how it's revealed.   For me it's like having the Premier League play all year then deciding a penalty shoot out between the top two is an "exciting" way to finish it.   It really isn't and the circumstances left night meant the show ended on a bit of a sour note where the votes of 180 million viewers are overruled by the votes of 185 jurors.

Also interesting that Loreen didn't top the televote in any country at all, whilst Finland won in 18 countries and picked up a couple of jury 12's too.    Whilst personally I think they should revert back to just the televote that would have meant a landslide for Finland last night as second places Sweden were so far behind, but had they retained the previous combined system where votes were combined into one set of points (with the televote breaking any ties) it's likely it would have been pretty close between Sweden and Finland throughout the night and the lead would have switched back and too during the traditional vote reveal (Sweden would have won with 330, Finland 2nd with 299).    And for me that is far more interesting TV than piling on the points at the end.   As soon as Finland got their points last night it was clear Sweden had won because there was no way they'd only picked up 120 or so points in the televote.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • LargelyALurker

(14-05-2023, 09:07 AM)agentsquash Wrote:  
(14-05-2023, 02:56 AM)JosiahStuart Wrote:  I believe that the major reason why Finland won the televote (and SF1) because there were too many fangirls that think Käärija is hot. I'm extremely annoyed that we had another year of (almost) maxing out the televote points.

Believe it or not, not everyone treats the ESC like Love Island.

Personally, I think Loreen, whilst amazing, didn’t deserve the win. The song was quite flat and the staging, whilst it looked cool, was basic. It just gives the vibe that she won because of Loreen.

Cha Cha Cha had character. It wasn’t just the arena - saw many friends at watch parties where they all got into it. It’s a much more engaging song than Tattoo.
Exactly - it had a hook that worked in any language and sounded great, though I question how much of that was the audience singing along and how much was on the pre-recorded backing vocals.    For me it would have been the deserved winner.    And for all the attention a "hot" contestant may get it's rarely a factor in who wins the thing.

As for Mae Muller - was a respectable effort but I thought the staging on the night felt dated and the vocal was weak.   And although the song has grown on me in recent weeks I wasn't a fan when I first heard it - and for most of the viewers it'll have been their first hearing of it last night.    Really nothing to worry about though as long as the BBC push on next year - it's been quite common in recent years for the previous winners to be bottom right on the scoreboard.

As for the hosts - can't really fault any of them.   I wasn't as big a fan of Hannah as others in the semi final but thought she came into her own in the final and worked really well with Graham too.   Indeed it felts like the voting process all ran pretty smoothly and quickly.    Mel was pretty decent on commentary too, though Graham coming in on a Saturday shows he's in a different class to Rylan and Scott.

What I hate though is the commentators repeatedly talking over the hosts - it comes across very arrogant to always do it when they speak another language (they at least didn't talk over the Ukrainian last night!) and as always over zealous when it comes to voting terms and conditions and speaking over the hosts saying pretty much the same thing with the commentator basically taking three minutes to say "you can't vote by text".    That said I do think the overall production do need to put a few seconds into the running order around the voting packages to allow the local commentators to say what they need to say without either talking over the hosts or the recap.

The BBC and Liverpool put on a great show this year they have made this country and hopefully ukraine very proud
[-] The following 8 users Like Toby brown's post:
  • agentsquash, Brekkie, DeMarkay, LouBlu08, Omnipresent, Reith85, Stuart, UTVLifer

(14-05-2023, 02:24 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(14-05-2023, 12:54 AM)DeMarkay Wrote:  Is it time that the jury vote goes? It’s been 7 years since the change and it’s been proven that the juries know absolutely nothing.

I've never been a fan of this combined method and how it's revealed.   For me it's like having the Premier League play all year then deciding a penalty shoot out between the top two is an "exciting" way to finish it.   It really isn't and the circumstances left night meant the show ended on a bit of a sour note where the votes of 180 million viewers are overruled by the votes of 185 jurors.

Also interesting that Loreen didn't top the televote in any country at all, whilst Finland won in 18 countries and picked up a couple of jury 12's too.    Whilst personally I think they should revert back to just the televote that would have meant a landslide for Finland last night as second places Sweden were so far behind, but had they retained the previous combined system where votes were combined into one set of points (with the televote breaking any ties) it's likely it would have been pretty close between Sweden and Finland throughout the night and the lead would have switched back and too during the traditional vote reveal (Sweden would have won with 330, Finland 2nd with 299).    And for me that is far more interesting TV than piling on the points at the end.   As soon as Finland got their points last night it was clear Sweden had won because there was no way they'd only picked up 120 or so points in the televote.
Reverting back to just the televote would out the diaspora and neighbour vote on full display. I’m not sure the EBU want the voting results examined in immigration debates.

(14-05-2023, 03:19 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  
(14-05-2023, 02:24 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I've never been a fan of this combined method and how it's revealed.   For me it's like having the Premier League play all year then deciding a penalty shoot out between the top two is an "exciting" way to finish it.   It really isn't and the circumstances left night meant the show ended on a bit of a sour note where the votes of 180 million viewers are overruled by the votes of 185 jurors.

Reverting back to just the televote would out the diaspora and neighbour vote on full display. I’m not sure the EBU want the voting results examined in immigration debates.

Would a 1:2 weighting on the jury:televote work? I guess it would be harder to explain to audiences though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agentsquash's post:
  • Brekkie

As the Eurovision lights fade on Liverpool I’d just like to thank the BBC, EBU, Liverpool Council and all those involved in creating such an amazing event.

On screen the stage design and surrounding sets were beautiful and worked well together for the performances and presenters. Hannah, Alesha and Julia have been amazing throughout the week. Graham was good on Saturday, but part of me feels that he wasn’t necessarily needed as the others had more than capably managed the semis; I find it a little odd that he only did the final.
The branding was the winner for me, both visual and audio it worked incredibly well; the vibrant, bold design was completely different to 2022’s muted tones, but it captured the energy of the contest. The city centre of Liverpool was adorned with the branding at every turn, making it the focal point for every citizen and visitor.

Well done everybody involved in production, presentation and design, it worked very well and showcased the UK, especially Liverpool whilst celebrating Ukraine.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fanoftv's post:
  • UTVLifer

(14-05-2023, 02:35 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  What I hate though is the commentators repeatedly talking over the hosts - it comes across very arrogant to always do it when they speak another language (they at least didn't talk over the Ukrainian last night!) and as always over zealous when it comes to voting terms and conditions and speaking over the hosts saying pretty much the same thing with the commentator basically taking three minutes to say "you can't vote by text".    That said I do think the overall production do need to put a few seconds into the running order around the voting packages to allow the local commentators to say what they need to say without either talking over the hosts or the recap.

One of the most poignant parts of the show was Julia in the audience with the Ukrainian fans speaking in her mother tongue hyping up the crowd and Mel not interrupting once. Mel was also complementary about Julia when she did her final link with the main presenters in Ukrainian.
[-] The following 5 users Like London Lite's post:
  • DeMarkay, Happy2001, Jeff, JosiahStuart, UTVLifer