BBC/ITV North West News

(08-03-2024, 11:17 PM)steve Wrote:  It’s not lit at all for Breakfast bulletins, they come from the cupboard. That second video was from the 1.30pm bulletin.

The most adventurous shot on the 1330 was the at the start and end wideshot. 1 camera was used throughout excluding the intro and end, which was the OTS plasma and a locked off shot of the presenter.

So again, why light the whole bloody thing if you're showing 1/3rd of that space on camera.

£157 a year I pay to the BBC, as do many of us, why waste our money?

(08-03-2024, 11:54 PM)Mike Wrote:  The most adventurous shot on the 1330 was the at the start and end wideshot. 1 camera was used throughout excluding the intro and end, which was the OTS plasma and a locked off shot of the presenter.

So again, why light the whole bloody thing if you're showing 1/3rd of that space on camera.

£157 a year I pay to the BBC, as do many of us, why waste our money?
Probably because it's not quite as simple as you think, and won't give the savings you think.

Often lighting setups are preprogrammed. Changing them requires someone spending time to adjust it and check the visible area. All well and good if it's a permanent change for a bulletin, however a lunchtime bulletin in a few days time might require one of these other areas. That would require another change, and I suspect paying someone to change it for each bulletin depending on what areas are being used isn't cost effective.

Similarly plasmas probably can't be turned off in the gallery. There's probably also the fear that once turned off they won't turn back on again.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 3 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, Nige, Steve in Pudsey

It’s all LED apart from the plasmas.

The studio is powered down between uses with house lights left on.

I understand the work has been very complex and started with the new Breakfast studio which kept being delayed for various reasons.

From what I hear there’s lot more work going on, and I believe they’re shortly to move onto the next stage.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JexedBack's post:
  • Mort

I see Anna Valley is apparently in administration, so that may impact set roll-outs and upgrades

www.newscaststudio.com 

Sadly with the seemingly perilous state of television production at the moment I think quite a few companies which support the industry may have to follow suit.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, fatal paper cut, Stockland Hillman, Tardisrotor

I note that we had Abbie Dewhurst of Look North present the weather in the NWT studio tonight. I’ve also noticed in the last week or so that the weather forecasts for the Breakfast and Lunchtime bulletins haven’t been coming down the line from Nottingham. Unfortunately I can’t remember who’s been presenting, but the biggest giveaway is the forecast is in HD, where as the Nottingham produced ones aren’t.

(13-03-2024, 08:08 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  I note that we had Abbie Dewhurst of Look North present the weather in the NWT studio tonight. I’ve also noticed in the last week or so that the weather forecasts for the Breakfast and Lunchtime bulletins haven’t been coming down the line from Nottingham. Unfortunately I can’t remember who’s been presenting, but the biggest giveaway is the forecast is in HD, where as the Nottingham produced ones aren’t.

Wednesday morning and lunch was Rich Davis based in Nottingham.

After 12 years and 4 months it's the last use of this dreadful set:

twitter.com 

It'll be interesting to see what they fit into that space in the latest style - will it be a standard regional set refresh or something different? Chris Cook has responded to the tweet saying it will be reborn...
[-] The following 5 users Like DrewF's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, DeMarkay, RhysJR, Stuart

(14-03-2024, 07:29 PM)DrewF Wrote:  After 12 years and 4 months it's the last use of this dreadful set:

twitter.com 

It'll be interesting to see what they fit into that space in the latest style - will it be a standard regional set refresh or something different? Chris Cook has responded to the tweet saying it will be reborn...
It'll be interesting to see whether they go for the standard regional set or an enhanced version. There's possibly a case for it to be designed as a backup studio for Breakfast & One (when that moves), whilst primarily being for the regional news.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

And here’s the temporary ‘Studio 4’ (used to be Pres) coming into play from Monday (ta to Steve Saul for the clarification)

x.com 

Roll on May 13th, I think…
[-] The following 5 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, London Lite, nwtv2003, Stuart