BBC/ITV North West News

A few stats relating to the outgoing studio.

x.com 
[-] The following 7 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, lookoutwales, Stuart, TVFan, UTVLifer

The temporary sport set was stripped out of Studio 4 in the last couple of weeks - they’ll be testing it tomorrow before it goes live for NWT.

x.com 

x.com 

And Chris has released some photos of the set build in SQ2 all those years ago…

x.com 

Only seems like yesterday when Gordon Burns was being interviewed on one of those School Report specials (think it was one of the first live broadcasts from MediaCity) about looking forward to anchoring from Salford Quays - only to announce his departure from NWT some months later.
[-] The following 6 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, harshy, nwtv2003, RhysJR, Stuart

It might be quite telling if your 'holiday caravan' (Pres/Studio 4) looks better than your previous home, even if it's just down the corridor. Tongue

There always seems to have been an issue with using converted office space at Salford because of low ceilings/lighting grid, but in all buildings you at least choose where to place the internal walls.

Most are simply 'stud partition walls' which can be moved. I was never sure whey they allowed such a randomly shaped space to exist for NWT/Breakfast in the first place. They moved them easily enough for this new temporary space when Sport moved in for a while.

Let's see what they do with the refurb.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, JJJJ

(14-03-2024, 10:57 PM)Stuart Wrote:  It might be quite telling if your 'holiday caravan' (Pres/Studio 4) looks better than your previous home, even if it's just down the corridor. :P

There always seems to have been an issue with using converted office space at Salford because of low ceilings/lighting grid, but in all buildings you at least choose where to place the internal walls.

Most are simply 'stud partition walls' which can be moved. I was never sure whey they allowed such a randomly shaped space to exist for NWT/Breakfast in the first place. They moved them easily enough for this new temporary space when Sport moved in for a while.

Let's see what they do with the refurb.

Actually, it doesn't look like the height was the main problem. The first post on X of the building shell reveals the issue.

Why install a full grid, that sits below the aircon vents, when a custom solution with bars attached to ceiling would have delivered more height. It's a fixed set after all. Kinda like ITV have done in their smaller office park spaces.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks self made problem, which is why it looks worse than Granada Reports over the dock.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stockland Hillman's post:
  • Stuart

Always found it odd they covered up windows looking out over Salford Quays with screens showing Salford Quays. Granada has always looked much nicer.

Not sure we should expect anything different from what’s been installed elsewhere. It’ll be interesting to see where is shown on the screens though - a continuation of Salford? It’s probably one of the smallest cities in the region, but at least it avoids the inevitable use of Manchester whilst leaving out Liverpool.

Do all other regions show the city they’re broadcast from?
[-] The following 1 user Likes all new phil's post:
  • DJ Dave

(15-03-2024, 01:47 AM)all new phil Wrote:  Always found it odd they covered up windows looking out over Salford Quays with screens showing Salford Quays. Granada has always looked much nicer.

Not sure we should expect anything different from what’s been installed elsewhere. It’ll be interesting to see where is shown on the screens though - a continuation of Salford? It’s probably one of the smallest cities in the region, but at least it avoids the inevitable use of Manchester whilst leaving out Liverpool.

They used screens because of the sunrise glare issues, especially with Breakfast.

They piloted the NWT Pres bulletins overlooking the Quays, but the low sun made it unusable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JexedBack's post:
  • UTVLifer

(15-03-2024, 01:47 AM)all new phil Wrote:  Always found it odd they covered up windows looking out over Salford Quays with screens showing Salford Quays. Granada has always looked much nicer.

The three Look North editions have backdrops of Leeds (Yorkshire and the combined Yorkshire/East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Breakfast bulletins), Hull (East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire outside of Breakfast) and Newcastle (North East and Cumbria) respectively.

I’ve always liked that Salford view when compared to some of the new views which are rather uninteresting views. You either want a view which contains a local landmark or you go for something used on Sunday for the likes of politics east.

I remember when I did one of the tours around Salford that the view on the screens was exactly what you could see out the window as they over look the coronation street set so I believe they moved the IWM so that was in shot

It amazed me how low the ceiling was when we went in. We had been told that we couldn’t sit on the sofa whilst we waited for the lunchtime bulletin to finish. Roger was presenting that day and stayed to chat to the group before inviting us to sit on the sofa for photos. The tour guide tried to say we weren’t allowed to which roger replied I’ve said it’s ok before talking to the gallery to confirm. Got a brilliant photo.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 2 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • all new phil, DJ Dave

It's when you see twitter.com  you realise how ridiculously small 'studio 3' is, which NWT have been using for Breakfast opts since moving out of 'pres'.

I gather 'pres' since renamed 'studio 4' was slightly enlarged when BBC Sport decamped to there, as can be seen from the photos on Steve Saul's twitter/X feed.

I wonder if they might be tempted to make the travelling set the permanent set for studio 4, given that it's bigger than their previous set that was in the same (albeit smaller) space. If I recall correctly only Spotlight is awaiting it's new set, in which case they're likely to get the one Look East are using as there was "just a few weeks to go" at the start of the month, according to a reply by Susie Fowler-Watt. It would make for a reasonable backup studio if NWT ever needed to decamp from their main studio, such as Breakfast or One needing to commandeer it due to an issue with their own studio.

EDIT: As a side note it's nice that several BBC staff have been uploading behind the scenes photos.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 3 users Like Keith's post:
  • Jayesyn, Stuart, UTVLifer

(15-03-2024, 10:04 AM)Keith Wrote:  It's when you see twitter.com  you realise how ridiculously small 'studio 3' is, which NWT have been using for Breakfast opts since moving out of 'pres'.

I gather 'pres' since renamed 'studio 4' was slightly enlarged when BBC Sport decamped to there, as can be seen from the photos on Steve Saul's twitter/X feed.

I wonder if they might be tempted to make the travelling set the permanent set for studio 4, given that it's bigger than their previous set that was in the same (albeit smaller) space. If I recall correctly only Spotlight is awaiting it's new set, in which case they're likely to get the one Look East are using as there was "just a few weeks to go" at the start of the month, according to a reply by Susie Fowler-Watt. It would make for a reasonable backup studio if NWT ever needed to decamp from their main studio, such as Breakfast or One needing to commandeer it due to an issue with their own studio.

EDIT: As a side note it's nice that several BBC staff have been uploading behind the scenes photos.

The trouble is the temporary set looks more like the style of BBC News sets that are being replaced, so to retain it for permanent use might look a bit dated.