Thread Closed

2024 Local Elections

Laura would be best utilised some form of interviewing/analysis role, which would work to her strengths
[-] The following 5 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • AJB39, Brekkie, chrisherald, eyeTV, Jeff

(04-05-2024, 10:20 PM)Andrew Wrote:  I see Nick Eardley has been back as Political Correspondent this week, is this this just to bolster numbers during the election and he’ll be back under BBC Verify next week?

I rate Nick as a decent correspondent, I haven’t quite made up my mind about his replacement Henry Zeffman as yet

Nick's been back on the political team for a couple of months now; the Verify role was only a short-term secondment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scratch_Perry's post:
  • UTVLifer

(04-05-2024, 11:15 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  I still think Fiona Bruce should lead the BBC General Election coverage just like her predecessor as Question Time host David Dimbleby did but it seems it’s unlikely to happen. I think Laura Kuennesberg should be part of the coverage just not lead host. I also think Clive Myrie, Jo Coburn and Sophie Raworth should be involved as well, along with Reeta Chakrabarti at the digital screen.

Fiona has had next to no experience in a rolling news format, having hardly ever done any News Channel shifts, so we don’t know how good she would be at handling all the different items and making off the cuff remarks and filler bits

Laura at them helm doesn’t make for a very appetising prospect. I find her delivery hard work even in small doses, never mind for hours on end
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew's post:
  • chrisherald, DeMarkay, UTVLifer

(04-05-2024, 11:15 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Well she didn't make it up, she wasn't the only person in the mainstream media who repeated the claims, though that reflects badly on everyone who repeated it rather than excuses Laura. These seasoned journalists should stick to reporting facts, not social media tittle tattle from unnamed and questionable sources, leave that to the tabloids.

The BBC website live feed also repeated a claim that Labour had already conceded the WM mayor race on Friday morning (again, before any votes had been counted, or even verified), which wasn't any better. But that seemed to go largely unnoticed comapred to Laura's tweet.

So when she said 'it's clear tonight that the race is much closer than some polls had suggested....' where precisely did she get the sourced, verified info to publish this claim on her BBC branded social media feed? No other political editor or senior presenter posted this, unless I've missed this? Incidentally Sadiq Khan won by 10 points, so her post was straight up wrong.
This is not the first time she has jumped on gossip in an attempt to be 'first' and she cannot be compared to a BBC website live blogger by virtue of her seniority and position. I've not one of those who seemingly jumps on everything she does but...she's literally paid (a huge amount) to presumably be circumspect and authoritative.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luc's post:
  • LargelyALurker

(04-05-2024, 11:15 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  I still think Fiona Bruce should lead the BBC General Election coverage just like her predecessor as Question Time host David Dimbleby did but it seems it’s unlikely to happen. ...
Was David's retirement from elections his own decision, or the BBC's?

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...

(04-05-2024, 11:35 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Fiona has had next to no experience in a rolling news format, having hardly ever done any News Channel shifts, so we don’t know how good she would be at handling all the different items and making off the cuff remarks and filler bits
I think that’s slightly unfair as Question Time involves some of those skills. Where she’s fine. And of course the likes of Dimbleby and his brother Dimbleby and their father Dimbleby presumbly hadn’t presented rolling news before they started, on the basis the BBC didn’t do rolling news.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jon's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, scottishtv

Even if she hasn't done such events before it kind of feels like she has - she might not be the long term solution but I think in the short term is a better bet than Laura, who frankly just lacks that likeability factor. I agree she'd be more suited to the Andrew Neil/Paxman style role.
[-] The following 6 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, chrisherald, London Lite, strollfan, UTVLifer

I think the problem the BBC has is there isn’t an obvious choice for election night presenter. Well, there is… but she was getting praise tonight for her long presenting stint on another outlet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes all new phil's post:
  • Transmission

(05-05-2024, 12:16 AM)all new phil Wrote:  I think the problem the BBC has is there isn’t an obvious choice for election night presenter.
I’d want Dimbleby back for a one-off - even though it won’t happen and he wouldn’t do it anyway.

They really are a bit scuppered.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, and I can’t see it happening - but Kirsty Young, especially having assumed the Dimbleby state occasion role, would be the perfect choice.
[-] The following 11 users Like steve's post:
  • all new phil, AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, DeMarkay, leewilliams, London Lite, LondonViewer, RDJ, RhysJR, smw
Thread Closed