Thread Closed

2024 Local Elections

(04-05-2024, 08:53 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  The presenter is Azadeh Moshiri, not Geeta Guru-Murthy.

It was Geeta earlier, when it was a UK opt.

And BBC News cutting Richard Parker's victory speech because they're rejoining the world feed... what a mess.
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • AJB39, oscillon

I dare say the BBC were glad the Birmingham result was announced a few minutes before 9pm. That way it saved them cutting away from the returning officer to welcome global viewers.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Keith's post:
  • DeMarkay, oscillon

There is the technical capability to voiceover on one feed only - it often used to be used when BBC Two left the NC simulcast at an awkward time and, on BBC Two only, the presenter could be heard saying something like: “You’re watching BBC News, this is a live debate happening in the House of Commons on (e.g. the EU Withdrawal Bill). Coverage continues on the BBC News Channel, but for now it’s goodbye to viewers on BBC Two.” They would then fade the feed out.

However, I very much doubt they’d do that and ruin the TOTH for global viewers (who, we now know, are obviously the priority).
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • chrisherald

(04-05-2024, 08:02 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Laura Kuennesberg's tweet from yesterday has now been slapped with a community note. A little embarrassing. With this, and her almost getting in serious trouble for discussing postal vote number in the 2019 election, it is maybe best for everyone if she stays off the internet on the day of the next election.

twitter.com 

Or off air entirely... best to have someone who can distill the 'whispers' from fact doing election coverage. I can read Twitter if I wanted the former (and then again on Twitter you usually have twenty people shouting you down as seen in the comments there if you're a public figure and say something absurd).

(04-05-2024, 08:56 PM)James2001 Wrote:  It was Geeta earlier, when it was a UK opt.

And BBC News cutting Richard Parker's victory speech because they're rejoining the world feed... what a mess.

The coverage of the various London constituency counts in the run up to Khan's win being confirmed was also jolty, often missing the start of each count. Not to mention how the image quality on the balcony not being fantastic? It seemed much blurrier than the lower thirds which doesn't help when what you want to see are the numbers on the touchscreen. Only reason I went with the BBC at that point in the day was that Sky wasn't covering the various individual constituency counts.
[-] The following 5 users Like matthieu1221's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, DeMarkay, msim, RhysJR

I see Nick Eardley has been back as Political Correspondent this week, is this this just to bolster numbers during the election and he’ll be back under BBC Verify next week?

I rate Nick as a decent correspondent, I haven’t quite made up my mind about his replacement Henry Zeffman as yet
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew's post:
  • chrisherald, UTVLifer

(04-05-2024, 09:04 PM)Keith Wrote:  I dare say the BBC were glad the Birmingham result was announced a few minutes before 9pm. That way it saved them cutting away from the returning officer to welcome global viewers.
They interrupted the winners speech instead. Today especially has really highlighted the shortcomings of BBC News now, and it's been noticed too - especially with Sky doing such an excellent job.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • LargelyALurker

Sky did really well with their coverage though I think Sophy and Sam looked a bit zonked by the end but two days of coverage will do that to you.
[-] The following 7 users Like XIII's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, eyeTV, Jeff, Luc, matthieu1221, UTVLifer

(04-05-2024, 08:02 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Laura Kuennesberg's tweet from yesterday has now been slapped with a community note. A little embarrassing. With this, and her almost getting in serious trouble for discussing postal vote number in the 2019 election, it is maybe best for everyone if she stays off the internet on the day of the next election.

twitter.com 

Yeah this was really unprofessional (again!). She either made it up or just leapt on some on the Twitter speculation started by Conservative operatives on Friday, as it was before any counting had even started! Her bosses need to have a bit of a word but it seems she's untouchable.
Unfortunately we're stuck with her for the general election I think as Clive just doesn't have the necessary immersion/background in Westminster reporting to carry it off, despite his undoubted talents in everything else.
[-] The following 2 users Like Luc's post:
  • chrisherald, LargelyALurker

Well she didn't make it up, she wasn't the only person in the mainstream media who repeated the claims, though that reflects badly on everyone who repeated it rather than excuses Laura. These seasoned journalists should stick to reporting facts, not social media tittle tattle from unnamed and questionable sources, leave that to the tabloids.

The BBC website live feed also repeated a claim that Labour had already conceded the WM mayor race on Friday morning (again, before any votes had been counted, or even verified), which wasn't any better. But that seemed to go largely unnoticed comapred to Laura's tweet.
[-] The following 9 users Like James2001's post:
  • AJB39, Hadrien, Happy2001, Jeff, LargelyALurker, News Engineer, oscillon, Transmission, UTVLifer

I still think Fiona Bruce should lead the BBC General Election coverage just like her predecessor as Question Time host David Dimbleby did but it seems it’s unlikely to happen. I think Laura Kuennesberg should be part of the coverage just not lead host. I also think Clive Myrie, Jo Coburn and Sophie Raworth should be involved as well, along with Reeta Chakrabarti at the digital screen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AJB39's post:
  • Alessi
Thread Closed