Wallace & Gromit Returns

(07-06-2024, 03:46 PM)steve Wrote:  There'll be another Magic Light / Julia Donaldson to fit in too - although I think that was pre-King last year.

They’ve aired at 14:30 since 2019.

In terms of ITV trying to schedule aggressively, what do they actually have that allows them do that? The Masked Singer? They tried BGT one year but that failed (in 2020 as well when you’d imagine viewers would be higher).

(07-06-2024, 04:32 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  It's funny how Doctor Who which has been a nailed down "must" for Xmas Day ever since it was announced now looks one of the weaker options but will probably still air there, partly to avoid Russell T Davies throwing a strop. I think also even though Wallace and Gromit can appeal to all ages, it is also missable depending on what else is on. If the two are paired together, ITV should be looking to capitalise.
Doctor Who's low linear ratings are almost certainly because of the midnight iPlayer release. I suspect that won't have quite so dramatic an effect on Christmas Day.

(07-06-2024, 06:55 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Doctor Who's low linear ratings are almost certainly because of the midnight iPlayer release. I suspect that won't have quite so dramatic an effect on Christmas Day.

The 4m consolidated ratings are also quite low given it’ll be given a teatime slot on Christmas Day.

(07-06-2024, 06:55 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Doctor Who's low linear ratings are almost certainly because of the midnight iPlayer release. I suspect that won't have quite so dramatic an effect on Christmas Day.

The iPlayer release is currently between 80k - 150k

(07-06-2024, 04:32 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  It's funny how Doctor Who which has been a nailed down "must" for Xmas Day ever since it was announced now looks one of the weaker options but will probably still air there, partly to avoid Russell T Davies throwing a strop. I think also even though Wallace and Gromit can appeal to all ages, it is also missable depending on what else is on. If the two are paired together, ITV should be looking to capitalise.

(07-06-2024, 06:42 PM)iloveTV1 Wrote:  In terms of ITV trying to schedule aggressively, what do they actually have that allows them do that? The Masked Singer? They tried BGT one year but that failed (in 2020 as well when you’d imagine viewers would be higher).

Any Doctor Who/Wallace & Gromit combo would likely be anticipated to appeal both families and younger people, so perhaps it would be wise in that event for ITV to target the 55+ Call the Midwife-esque audience instead. They've got plenty of Midsomer Murders episodes waiting on the shelf, and that show would make for an ideal more geriatric alternative to W&G.

I quite like the idea of Wallace and Gromit airing Christmas Eve instead - feel it would actually be a better fit there given it's a feature length episode. Also worth noting it's a co-commission with Netflix who would likely prefer to release it before Christmas Day. Now it's not unusual for some of our Christmas Day shows to premiere elsewhere prior to the day itself but I think for such a flagship show to do so might be a bigger issue, though of course they could stick it up on iPlayer early if they desired.

As for ITV I suspect they'll be back to full hour long episodes of the soaps this year - still baffled really why they cut them to 30 minutes last year. To be fair they at least put up a schedule that varies each year. I wouldn't be surprised if they did another BGT special considering it looks like it'll be playing a bigger role in their schedules in Q1/Q2 in 2025.

The problem with BGT and most Xmas specials of formatted shows is that they don't feel special and are padded out as usual, so it's stop, start, 2 minutes of performance (if you're lucky), stop, start etc, which viewers will tolerate any other time but on Xmas Day they want to be entertained, not watch endless VTs or people behind desks giving critique. Shows like Blankety Blank and The Wheel are light-hearted enough that the serious quiz stuff can disappear for a minute while people joke and banter and The 1% Club is something where the questions have flavour and because they're logic-based some fun debate can be had whereas "I remember you from the first audition..." speeches are dull.

As for what ITV could do this year, the soaps will be there as will 1% Club. Not sure what films they will have the rights to. I think though something that is accessible to most people and has all the ingredients of what Xmas TV should be about can be done. This may sound stupid but past schedules are a good source for ideas.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tellyblues's post:
  • Josh