TV Mistakes/Breakdowns

Central seemed unusually prepared for that breakdown, unless that was also an edit on the tape?

(25-05-2024, 03:54 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Central seemed unusually prepared for that breakdown, unless that was also an edit on the tape?

Yeah I'm thinking that was an edit on the tape. Looking at the LWT one, it seems they weren't.

(25-05-2024, 04:35 PM)robertclark125 Wrote:  Yeah I'm thinking that was an edit on the tape. Looking at the LWT one, it seems they weren't.

The cue dot for the commercial break was already up just before the loss of feed so LWT is likely to have shouted on the Red Phone for regions to take the break. Agreed, the Central tape must have been edited.

I thought the convention was not to run adverts during a breakdown, the thinking being that the advertisers don't want to be associated with failure.

I wonder what that square is on the black screen that was left after the feed was lost? It looks like I thought it might be some sort of graphics mask used to blank out something in a wide shot in the arena
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Transmission

(25-05-2024, 05:32 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I thought the convention was not to run adverts during a breakdown, the thinking being that the advertisers don't want to be associated with failure.

Agreed, but not on this occasion it seems.

(25-05-2024, 05:32 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I wonder what that square is on the black screen that was left after the feed was lost? It looks like I thought it might be some sort of graphics mask used to blank out something in a wide shot in the arena

It's quite peculiar - there's nothing obvious in the w/s that I could see that would need such a mask. Is this programme too early for any digital stuff and could it just be a block of picture left as part of the fault?

Edit: There's a brief mix/fade to black and a feint horizontal line appears moments before for a couple of frames and then it progressively reduces down over a couple of frames to the rectangle remaining of the picture. Possible that it was a transition loaded into the mixer of whatever scanner they were using that was intended for another broadcast and used by mistake/as a result of a fault? The Central clip shows it more clearly but it extends from the top of Jim Rosenthal's head to the top of the screen.