Good Morning Britain

It seems dragging out the opening of news shows seems to be the new norm these days. I hate it. BBC News at Ten and ITV News at Ten drag out their opening, it is a complete waste of time and feels very like an entertainment show, promoting what they have got coming up.

Remember ITN News at Ten in the classic era of 1967 to 1999? A 13 second intro music, four or five bongs with the headlines and straight into the top story within 50 seconds. Classic. As Billy Connolly would have put it "it was perfect and then they f**ked it up"

Personally do think Ed Balls should have been stood down for the period even if he isn't an active politician. Trouble is GMB still have limited other options
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • TJTSW

(Yesterday, 01:26 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Personally do think Ed Balls should have been stood down for the period even if he isn't an active politician. Trouble is GMB still have limited other options

You'd lose a lot of people on TV if people who have left politics can't be on air. Ed Balls hasn't been in politics for nearly a decade so he's fine IMO.
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • Stuart

OFCOM have clarified their guidance recently.

www.ofcom.org.uk 

Of interest, and this applies at all times rather than in elections specifically:

Quote:“No politician may be used as a newsreader, interviewer or reporter in any news programmes unless, exceptionally, it is editorially justified. In that case, the political allegiance of that person must be made clear to the audience”.

It clarifies that this applies to news
Quote: broadcast news “in whatever form” it appears in a licensed service (reflecting the statutory provisions in this area). For example, this would include news bulletins, news flashes and daily news magazine programmes.

I think you can make an argument that GMB is a "daily news magazine programme", although the fact that various programmes on other channels presented by serving MPs haven't falled foul of this rule suggests that this interpretation is wrong. OFCOM suggests

Quote:Factors that could lead Ofcom to classify content as news might include:
• A newsreader presenting directly to the audience;
• A running order or list of short stories, often in short form;
• The use of reporters or correspondents to delivery packages or live reports; and/or
• A mix of video and reporter items.

Factors that could lead us to classify content as current affairs might include:
• A more long-form programme;
• The presence of extensive discussion, analysis or interviews with guests, often live; and
• Long-form video reports.

I think the jury is out on which GMB would fall into, it's a bit of both.

Quote:The use of politicians as reporters or presenters in news programmes could be problematic in the context of the requirement for due impartiality.

For the purpose of Rule 5.3, a politician is likely to include an elected representative e.g. an MP or councillor, a candidate, an applicant to be a candidate or a prospective candidate (that is a candidate for election who knows they have been chosen to represent a party at an election), an employee of a political party or an activist.

The rationale for the Code’s restriction on politicians being used as a newsreader, interviewer or reporter in any news programme is that politicians represent a particular political party each with its own political ideology, attitudes and policy positions. Politicians are therefore likely to be widely understood by audiences as people who both hold, and who also have an inherent interest in promoting, a partial view on topical issues3.

In setting and applying the Code, it is important for Ofcom to maintain audience trust in broadcast news and audience expectations that it will be presented with due impartiality. Rule 5.3 of the Code therefore serves to reinforce and promote the general standard of due impartiality for broadcast news which is required by Rule 5.1.

Being OFCOM, it's typically vague in not stating whether it just applies to serving MPs. Arguably the spirit of that rationale still applies to retired MPs, being associated with a party's ideology etc.

I'm sure GMB are keeping any eye on specifically which segments Ed Balls takes part in.

TBH more people know Ed Balls from Strictly than from being a MP. I think if it was say Michael Gove presenting GMB it might be problematic but I think once you're no longer in politics especially after a certain number of years then it shouldn't be an issue otherwise Michael Portillo wouldn't be allowed on TV anymore.
[-] The following 2 users Like XIII's post:
  • chris, UTVLifer

The only other thing I'd say about Ed Balls is that assuming Labour win the election, GMB will probably need to make sure they avoid a situation where he is interviewing his wife (who is likely to be home secretary) on national TV, as that would be one hell of a conflict of interest
[-] The following 3 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • GeekyJames, PJamo, Stuart

(Yesterday, 08:05 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  The only other thing I'd say about Ed Balls is that assuming Labour win the election, GMB will probably need to make sure they avoid a situation where he is interviewing his wife (who is likely to be home secretary) on national TV, as that would be one hell of a conflict of interest

Has she been interviewed in his presence as the Shadow Home Secretary?