BBC Radio 1

Wasn't sure quite where to put this, but the service ID labels for stations on the BBC National DAB multiplex have been tweaked slightly, removing a space after "Radio". So they've gone from BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 2 etc, to BBC Radio1, BBC Radio2 and so on. I wonder why?
[-] The following 2 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • AndrewP, LargelyALurker

They have also changed the FM RDS from RADIO1 to BBC R1 in line with the other services. (Definitely deliberate and not a fault condition falling back to static RDS)
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AndrewP, IanJRedman

It makes sense to bring Radio 1 back in line with the others again and promote the BBC name on FM. It was always a silly idea to change it in the first place. I think this happened back in the late 90s when Radio 1 had the ridiculous policy of avoiding mentioning the BBC because they didn’t think it sounded cool.

The change on DAB is odd though. Could this just be part of some engineering tests, or maybe this points to the upcoming new Radio 2 spin-off station having a longer name which requires the space to be removed to fit it in?

(05-06-2024, 04:33 PM)Spencer Wrote:  It makes sense to bring Radio 1 back in line with the others again and promote the BBC name on FM. It was always a silly idea to change it in the first place. I think this happened back in the late 90s when Radio 1 had the ridiculous policy of avoiding mentioning the BBC because they didn’t think it sounded cool.

The change on DAB is odd though. Could this just be part of some engineering tests, or maybe this points to the upcoming new Radio 2 spin-off station having a longer name which requires the space to be removed to fit it in?

R1 also had a phase when the station was being launched on FM of being called "1FM" instead of Radio 1. Although you'd still hear the occasional BBC Radio 1.

(05-06-2024, 06:10 PM)London Lite Wrote:  R1 also had a phase when the station was being launched on FM of being called "1FM" instead of Radio 1.  Although you'd still hear the occasional BBC Radio 1.
Was this used for simulcasts of 'Top of the Pops' when stereo was yet to be implemented to TV broadcast on BBC One until 1991?

(05-06-2024, 06:10 PM)London Lite Wrote:  R1 also had a phase when the station was being launched on FM of being called "1FM" instead of Radio 1. Although you'd still hear the occasional BBC Radio 1.

Indeed. It returned to being Radio 1 on the day Chris Evans took over the breakfast show. I remember at the time it seemed strange hearing it referred to as that again – almost a bit retro.