UEFA Euro 2024

It's a bit of a sticky one for STV, really. They'll get pelters for putting out an 'English' programme for a Scotland match (even though Ally McCoist will no doubt be all over it); but also the same if all the budget allows for is something like they did at Euro 2020.

If they wanted it to look good I'm sure someone like Sunset+Vine would be able to put together a slick show for them - but then why eat into your profits if people are going to watch the match regardless...

Fox Sports in the US have announced that Jules Breach will be their lead host for Euro 2024. Jules of course is a regular face across TNT Sports, as well as hosting Channel 4's England coverage and the ITV EFL highlights. I'm pleased to hear this as she always comes across well in her work (the interview currently trending with a youth coach of Ademola Lookman from Wednesday night a good example of this). Italy legend Girorgio Chiellini will also be with Fox.

To the wider implication, it sounds like Fox's coverage will be without their big names, like John Strong, and them instead priorising the Copa America taking place in the US. Though, with how negative the reviews of Fox's World Cup coverage has been, this may not be the worst thing.

www.foxsports.com 

With Wayne Rooney now Plymouth’s manager he will probably only be available for the group and first knockout round - which might cause a headache for the BBC if he was pencilled into being Alan Shearer’s replacement’s on the biggest matches throughout the tournament

(25-05-2024, 01:24 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  With Wayne Rooney now Plymouth’s manager he will probably only be available for the group and first knockout round - which might cause a headache for the BBC if he was pencilled into being Alan Shearer’s replacement’s on the biggest matches throughout the tournament

I think Wayne will be a potential England manager in the future, maybe even after Southgate. Southgate carries on till 2028 is my dream then Wayne takes over.

Was there any trailers or adverts launched with the FA Cup coverage today?

BBC Scotland have announced their Euros based entertainment programming. Nothing groundbreaking, but plenty of content for the BBC Scotland channel.

www.bbc.com 

(25-05-2024, 02:39 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  I think Wayne will be a potential England manager in the future, maybe even after Southgate. Southgate carries on till 2028 is my dream then Wayne takes over.

Sadly for that, nothing in his managerial history thus far really suggests that becoming a possibility.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • cando

(25-05-2024, 09:44 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Was there any trailers or adverts launched with the FA Cup coverage today?

Yes, at half time the BBC's promo was shown, it's pinball themed. I've only been able to find a short portrait version of it online, unfortunately:

youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Transmission's post:
  • RhysJR

The full version is on iPlayer:
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0j03y0z 

I feel like we might be in trailer = title sequence territory here. Visually it's great - if a bit taxing for MPEG encoders - but the theme tune feels like it could be punchier.
[-] The following 1 user Likes thegeek's post:
  • RhysJR

(26-05-2024, 02:56 PM)thegeek Wrote:  The full version is on iPlayer:
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0j03y0z 

I feel like we might be in trailer = title sequence territory here. Visually it's great - if a bit taxing for MPEG encoders - but the theme tune feels like it could be punchier.

Thanks!

That's not usually the case with football tournaments for the BBC (example of 2018 World Cup below with the same true of Euro 2020 - the trailers were original animations, but had no relation to the final intros). However, the BBC has done that for the Olympics, occasionally with some minor changes (London 2012 an example below).

PS Thanks for the excuse for the nostalgia trip going through those intros

World Cup 2018
www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

London 2012
www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

Fox have unveiled their commentary teams for the Euros and Copa America. As suspected, the main team of John Strong and Stu Holden are covering the Copa America not the Euros. Four well known voices join Fox for the Euros onsite, with Ian Darke, Derek Rae, Jacqui Oatley and Darren Fletcher on commentary alongside co-commentators Landon Donovan, Rob Green, Warren Barton and Owen Hargreaves.

Ian, Derek and Jacqui are regular voices on US tournament coverage (Derek has tweeted saying he has worked on every Euros since 2008 for the US audience for example), but it is a surprise to see TNT Sports' lead voice Darren Fletcher join the American coverage. He will be alongside another TNT voice in Owen Hargreaves, who is already announced as part of the Magenta/RTL coverage in Germany. That also means three of the commentators and the lead presenter (Jules Breach) have been prominent for BT/TNT over the years.

www.foxsports.com