Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Jun 2024 (BBC News Channel/BBC One)

I notice that from this morning they have started using a slug saying election 2024 in purple to the News Channel when discussing stories regarding the election.
Is this the first time that a story specific slug has appeared?
[-] The following 1 user Likes South's post:
  • interestednovice

It’s always the same argument with devolution. Bringing decisions/jobs closer to the people vs costs savings through economies of scale.

Having one larger operation in a single location is more efficient than several smaller disparate operations. It also has the advantage that talent from different areas can cross pollenate.

Spreading operations across multiple locations means that it’s easier for people from across the country to get jobs in those locations without having to move. Arguably it makes it easier to diversify representation.

The argument that having two studios for the four main UK bulletins is a waste could be countered that it’s covering redundancy - if B goes down then they can use Salford, and perhaps vice versa at a push?

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 4 users Like Moz's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, CNN1992, interestednovice

I think the trouble is BBC decisions never feel long term as a couple of years down the line something happens which makes you question that decision. Probably the same in all such large organisations to be fair.

From a viewer point of view though what was once the London problem now feels like the London and Salford problem.

What might be interesting and beneficial is if physically separating the One gives it a stronger editorial but I suspect part of the move is to ensure viewers don't see a huge difference.

Has it been confirmed if Sportsday will air in the regional opt out slot on the news channel? Also will the bulletin be shortened for events like Wimbledon and the Olympics? Indeed the 2pm kick-offs with the Euros will affect it too - arguably the beginning of summer the worst time to launch it.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, UTVLifer

As NickyS says it's been a busy time for the team in Salford preparing for the News at One move.

I suspect most on here will be more than happy with what they see on Monday.

BBC Manchester have shared this video promo which I'm sure answers a few questions.

www.facebook.com ?
[-] The following 5 users Like Worzel's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Reith85

(31-05-2024, 10:14 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think the trouble is BBC decisions never feel long term as a couple of years down the line something happens which makes you question that decision. Probably the same in all such large organisations to be fair.

From a viewer point of view though what was once the London problem now feels like the London and Salford problem.

What might be interesting and beneficial is if physically separating the One gives it a stronger editorial but I suspect part of the move is to ensure viewers don't see a huge difference.

I think the BBC often has its arm twisted into these changes based upon the whims of the culture secretary and the government of the day creating hoops the BBC have to jump through to keep the license fee.

The problem is it feeds into it detractors hands which can then say “look the bbc spent all this money to do x and now only a few years later their spending more money to change x to y.”

I completely agree it has now moved to a London and Salford problem. I sometimes think the balance is tipping the other way and it’s becoming too Salford based.

IMO I’ve always thought breakfast and now the one should come from NBH as thats the hub of their global news operation. Then news teams are based across the county in areas which are known for that subject eg climate change and sciences etc. move sport to Salford. You’ve got morning live from the north but also have the one show up there. Or even have the one show based mainly in Salford but once a week it comes from a region in the uk. That’s making it far more across the uk.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 9 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Jeff, Nige, SlimyTrain, SpacewardAsh, UTVLifer

(31-05-2024, 09:31 AM)Moz Wrote:  The argument that having two studios for the four main UK bulletins is a waste could be countered that it’s covering redundancy - if B goes down then they can use Salford, and perhaps vice versa at a push?
It's probably reasonable to suggest that if something severe happened that meant the BBC couldn't broadcast from London (e.g. massive power failure and backup generators failing) then they could at least provide some News broadcasts from Salford, along with radio output.

Arguably with the regional studios now having the same look there's also the potential to use one of those studios in an emergency, or simply use USA/Singapore for extended hours.

I think it's reasonable to suggest that at least some of the changes in plans have been due to the licence fee being frozen in 2010 for six years, and frozen again in 2022 for two years. Then there was the World Service no longer being directly funded by central government, and the free over 75s licences no longer being paid for by central government (which now are only eligble to over 75s on pension credit). Presumably when plans where made for the redevelopment at NBH and its news studios they never expected such a significant real-term reduction in licence fee revenue.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 4 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, Jeff

(31-05-2024, 11:11 AM)ViridianFan Wrote:  I think the BBC often has its arm twisted into these changes based upon the whims of the culture secretary and the government of the day creating hoops the BBC have to jump through to keep the license fee.

The problem is it feeds into it detractors hands which can then say “look the bbc spent all this money to do x and now only a few years later their spending more money to change x to y.”

I completely agree it has now moved to a London and Salford problem. I sometimes think the balance is tipping the other way and it’s becoming too Salford based.

IMO I’ve always thought breakfast and now the one should come from NBH as thats the hub of their global news operation. Then news teams are based across the county in areas which are known for that subject eg climate change and sciences etc. move sport to Salford. You’ve got morning live from the north but also have the one show up there. Or even have the one show based mainly in Salford but once a week it comes from a region in the uk. That’s making it far more across the uk.

The BBC are a very political organisation, that's not party politics, it's lobbying and changing things in pursuit of what it wants - that is to maintain and grow influence - hence push online and into written text content where it was set up as a audio visual broadcaster. Pushing into markets they weren't set up to cover. That's why newspapers hate the BBC, and now podcasters are becoming increasingly negative about the organisation.

They spend alot of money and time on corporate policy and lobbying to gain favour with power to maintain position and influence. They are not passive 'takers' of government whims.

The 90s/00s switch to Red news branding, non orchestral music, odd regional launches such as Hull, were all new Labour era touches designed to appeal to the political power of the time. Out with Tory blue, empire coat of arms, classical style music.

It's recognised by everyone in media that the whole industry is too London centric. Moving to Greater Manchester was more a Labour favourite plan than the Tories, which the BBC persisted with. The Conservatives post 2016 would have much preferred Birmingham, Leeds, Newcastle,Bristol over Salford.

News is Salford isn't a problem. Resources are there for Breakfast (and London is now prohibitively expensive to live in for many, so relocation back isnt viable) News is mainly packages and remotes.

Morning Live has mainly contributers as guests so location isn't a problem. The One Show is celeb heavy, so that does unfortunately mean London is the only option.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stockland Hillman's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice, SlimyTrain

(31-05-2024, 10:19 AM)Worzel Wrote:  As NickyS says it's been a busy time for the team in Salford preparing for the News at One move.

I suspect most on here will be more than happy with what they see on Monday.

BBC Manchester have shared this video promo which I'm sure answers a few questions.

www.facebook.com ?

Thanks Worzel, although that video was part of the press release and the tweet originally posted here.

I have no doubt there will be plenty of presentation areas/shots used, much like occurs now in Studio B. For me, the problem with using a sofa is more that it makes it seem very empty if you have a single presenter without guests on something that size. Part of why it works on morning tv is the number of guests and presenters you regularly see around it. It’s harder to imagine Ben Brown interviewing Ed Thomas about a major terrorism story, say, and it looking as comfortable or appropriate on a large red sofa than a smaller desk. But we shall see.
[-] The following 4 users Like House's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, Stuart

Cost wise it didn't make sense for Morning Live to switch from using an otherwise dormant Obe Show studio in the morning to a space specifically hired for the purpose in Manchester, but guessing lower labour costs up North balance out the extra cost. I guess as well moving tge One probably helped justify spending a bit more on the Breakfast studio.

Ultimately I've no issue with it being up in Salford - I find having half a dozen presenters for a five day a week programme more of an issue but BBC News is watched because it's BBC News, regardless of the presenter.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice

(31-05-2024, 12:42 PM)House Wrote:  It’s harder to imagine Ben Brown interviewing Ed Thomas about a major terrorism story, say, and it looking as comfortable or appropriate on a large red sofa than a smaller desk. But we shall see.

Major terrorism stories happen at Breakfast time too, and they’d probably be speaking down the line if that happened so the correspondent wouldn’t be on the sofa.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
Thread Closed