Channel 4-Owned Music Channels Pres

(30-05-2024, 10:58 PM)Edogawa Ranpo Wrote:  Did 4Music do the same thing as well?

As far as I'm aware no. Magic and Kiss now on their overnight programming now - bear in mind 6am is considered the start of a new broadcast day in the UK and both channels were set to close on the 30th. It's now the 31st and they are still on air. We'll see what happens at 6am

(31-05-2024, 12:08 AM)TVenthusiasm Wrote:  It's now the 31st and they are still on air. We'll see what happens at 6am

They close on the 30th June. Today is the 31st of May.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 4 users Like Josh's post:
  • AJB39, Allanbuzzy, ethanjbrady, Jeff

I still struggle to grasp why music channels have been so vulnerable as the TV industry has changed over the last decade - its not like radio died when Spotify etc. became mainstream - if anything it's gone from strength to strength.

Not sure if there could be a second life for some of these channels in the FAST space, something C4 has been slow to exploit.

(31-05-2024, 09:43 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I still struggle to grasp why music channels have been so vulnerable as the TV industry has changed over the last decade - its not like radio died when Spotify etc. became mainstream - if anything it's gone from strength to strength.

I think it's primarily the lack of advertising revenue and the lack of audience "stickiness". Club MTV closed due to the withdrawal of a single sponsor. Radio listeners are much less inclined to switch between stations compared to TV viewers.

When I used to watch music TV channels I'd always switch channel when a video I didn't want to watch started.

I think the one thing that "killed" The Box Network was the removal of requests and competitions. Remember when you couldn't escape a competition on The Hits to win tickets to watch Busted or select the latest Nelly video?

It's a sad time when 5 music channels can't survive yet on the likes of Freevee there's "XITE" and also Vevo have launched their own FAST channels, then there's Paramount who have FAST Music channels on Pluto TV and Now Music who have their channels on the likes of Rakuten TV. Perhaps Channel 4 just didn't want the headache anymore? Everytime I've tuned in to The Box Network, their channels have always been showing ads, sometimes all 5 channels at the same time.

(31-05-2024, 11:04 AM)mixchris Wrote:  I think the one thing that "killed" The Box Network was the removal of requests and competitions. Remember when you couldn't escape a competition on The Hits to win tickets to watch Busted or select the latest Nelly video?

It's a sad time when 5 music channels can't survive yet on the likes of Freevee there's "XITE" and also Vevo have launched their own FAST channels, then there's Paramount who have FAST Music channels on Pluto TV and Now Music who have their channels on the likes of Rakuten TV. Perhaps Channel 4 just didn't want the headache anymore? Everytime I've tuned in to The Box Network, their channels have always been showing ads, sometimes all 5 channels at the same time.
I think it's simply because ratings are much less relevant to the Smart TV Channel type, at least for now

Thing is, they keep showing the promos for “All-Day Kerrang” and the Kiss promo. If they were closing down, why would they promote channels which won’t exist in a months time?

(31-05-2024, 12:42 PM)Bennyboy84 Wrote:  Thing is, they keep showing the promos for “All-Day Kerrang” and the Kiss promo. If they were closing down, why would they promote channels which won’t exist in a months time?
Because basically they don't know how fill the breaks otherwise?

They could promote C4 shows more heavily, maybe they do, but last time they didn't , and the Box channels were still treated as "separate companies"

Why would they stop promoting them 30 days before they close?

(31-05-2024, 03:19 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Why would they stop promoting them 30 days before they close?

Because an advert could be sold or something else trailed instead?

It seemingly doesn't happen anyway - CITV carried CITV trails up the penultimate day; that one's perhaps explainable by the fact they were staying on air to the end of the summer holidays which is a key period in childrens advertising. Trace Vault carried trails right the very end, even for programmes which would never be aired again.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com