UEFA Euro 2024

They seem to like having the build up to matches on BBC2 Wales and the match on BBC1 Wales in recent times - happens a couple of times with the womens game. I do think though still having BBC2 Wales gives them much more scheduling flexibility than the situation in Scotland.

A side note to the Euros but baffles me they keep The One Show on every night during the Euros even though it's mainly bumped to BBC2, though it will go off air during Wimbledon for the first week at least.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • LargelyALurker

Enjoyed the extra 20 minutes post-match on iPlayer this evening. It was nice to have a period where there was more time for the panel to go in depth about something. Although I'm not as rabidly angry as some online about daily England content and discussion (I never see much complaints about there being daily Scotland coverage as well), it was nice that it got moved off to its own segment away from the main coverage.

I see that the BBC website has listed Thomas Hitzlsperger to appear on the early game on BBC One tomorrow, who has been working with ARD in the home nationthrough the tournament. As I said at the time of the press releases, I was surprised the BBC had no German involvement, so not surprised they have added him (Bastian Schweinsteiger and Per Mertesacker two other ex-Premier League players who ar working every other day on the German coverage if either broadcaster need one later on in the tournament). Ex-Portugal, West Ham and Southampton defender Jose Fonte is also appearing next week despite not being originally named.

(21-06-2024, 09:40 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  They seem to like having the build up to matches on BBC2 Wales and the match on BBC1 Wales in recent times - happens a couple of times with the womens game. I do think though still having BBC2 Wales gives them much more scheduling flexibility than the situation in Scotland.

A side note to the Euros but baffles me they keep The One Show on every night during the Euros even though it's mainly bumped to BBC2, though it will go off air during Wimbledon for the first week at least.

They really should rename it the The Two Show with how often it gets moved in Wales.

The One Show does feel like its far less likely to be dropped these days than say a decade ago. It felt like it used to be on BBC One or not at all on days like this, if it did ever of that period at all; now it is scheduled every day on One or Two. With the show now generally having two guests when it used to have one guest every day, you think they wouldn't mind resting it for a few days here and there.

Likewise, last week's Casualty was on BBC Two on Saturday night, rather than on a different day on BBC One or off for the week entirely, as would often be the case when it couldn't air in its normal slot.

(21-06-2024, 01:22 PM)thegeek Wrote:  Some more from SVG, with details on ITV's setup:

www.svgeurope.org 

The studio director and vision mixer are in Berlin, using a vision mixer desk in a gallery there, but controlling a vision mixer crate back in London (along with the sound and vision control, and EVS replay room). It's a bit of an unusual way of doing things, but seems to be working so far!

www.svgeurope.org 

And here's some on the BBC studio:
www.svgeurope.org 

Thanks for these links, very interesting. I'm probably the only one but I'm not actually impressed by the BBC's use of VR etc, including the clever led floor. No matter how good it can get I find the moving camera/moving background (however generated) somehow never quite 'cuts it' for me - leaves me feeling a bit queasy to be honest. And has no-one noticed that when the clever floor is in use nothing casts any shadows on it - nothing from underneath the desk, or the presenters stools etc. It's a bit like ITN's use of VR with News at ten etc, whenever the main presenter throws to a colleague doing an 'in the wall' presentation they cast no shadow - it's as though they are suspended in space. For obvious reasons I call it the 'vampire effect'.

I was first introduced to shadow chromakey, which was developed to make it a more realistic effect many years ago, but I suppose today's whizz kids would describe it as so last century! So for me it adds nothing and just clutters up the screen, But of course - just MY opinion and others are equally valid.

PS. Was watching the BBC's clever studio a few nights ago and the foreground and background VR effects were tracking nicely, then when the camera move settled down the top of the VR ceiling opened up like a clam shell giving us a lovely picture of the lighting grid. They cut away from it pretty quick. Too clever by half, just put down a nice bit of carpet or lino!!

Interesting how ITV have vasically said they went with screens and a real set as it's cheaper - bit of a dig perhaps at the BBC. They've had impressive hybrid set ups in the past but I'm not a fan of their set up at all this year.

Interesting how ITV say they'll only host at the stadium if England make the final and deem it unnecessary otherwise.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • lookoutwales

I think we just had the first major directing error of the championship.
Portugal's second goal, a totally unexpected horror own goal, was almost missed by the director, who had switched to close-ups of the Portugal players berating their attack breaking up. Don't blame the director, but a bit unfortunate.

(22-06-2024, 08:52 AM)Bluecortina Wrote:  Thanks for these links, very interesting. I'm probably the only one but I'm not actually impressed by the BBC's use of VR etc, including the clever led floor. No matter how good it can get I find the moving camera/moving background (however generated) somehow never quite 'cuts it' for me - leaves me feeling a bit queasy to be honest. And has no-one noticed that when the clever floor is in use nothing casts any shadows on it - nothing from underneath the desk, or the presenters stools etc. It's a bit like ITN's use of VR with News at ten etc, whenever the main presenter throws to a colleague doing an 'in the wall' presentation they cast no shadow - it's as though they are suspended in space. For obvious reasons I call it the 'vampire effect'.

I was first introduced to shadow chromakey, which was developed to make it a more realistic effect many years ago, but I suppose today's whizz kids would describe it as so last century! So for me it adds nothing and just clutters up the screen, But of course - just MY opinion and others are equally valid.

PS. Was watching the BBC's clever studio a few nights ago and the foreground and background VR effects were tracking nicely, then when the camera move settled down the top of the VR ceiling opened up like a clam shell giving us a lovely picture of the lighting grid. They cut away from it pretty quick. Too clever by half, just put down a nice bit of carpet or lino!!

No, you're not the only one but you worded it much more eloquently than I managed in any of the started-and-deleted-due-to-not-being-that-well-phrased versions of my post on the subject. I too find the constantly moving camera a bit distracting (and a tad nausea inducing at times) and find that the VR elements add nothing to the coverage.

'Just because they can doesn't mean they have to' is how I've been increasingly feeling in recent years. Last year's Wimbledon set, for example, was a massive step backwards for me in terms of the on screen look of the coverage. I guess I just like a 'real' set.

But I digress from the point of this thread so I'll put my Victor Meldrew hat away.......
[-] The following 1 user Likes PJamo's post:
  • RhysJR

(22-06-2024, 05:39 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  I think we just had the first major directing error of the championship.
Portugal's second goal, a totally unexpected horror own goal, was almost missed by the director, who had switched to close-ups of the Portugal players berating their attack breaking up. Don't blame the director, but a bit unfortunate.

Complete with Sam Matterface saying the obligatory "we don't control the pictures on the world feed" line.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Transmission's post:
  • RhysJR

Haven't seen it spelt it out so clearly, but here's the full pick breakdown for the knockout stages. Advantage ITV one would say.

twitter.com 

(22-06-2024, 08:02 PM)Transmission Wrote:  Complete with Sam Matterface saying the obligatory "we don't control the pictures on the world feed" line.

Who is the host broadcasting company? I tried looking, and the closest I could find to an answer was UEFA themselves.

(22-06-2024, 08:17 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Haven't seen it spelt it out so clearly, but here's the full pick breakdown for the knockout stages. Advantage ITV one would say.

twitter.com 

Who is the host broadcasting company? I tried looking, and the closest I could find to an answer was UEFA themselves.

There was an interesting segment about the picks on The Rest is Entertainment podcast on Tuesday, where Richard Osman went through how the first few picks went. ITV had first choice and went for the semi-final for their very first pick, a very different strategy to a few years back when they'd secure group games first in case England went out early. It was also mentioned that yesterday afternoon's Slovakia v Ukraine was the last game left to be picked at the end.

And likewise, I've not seen anything about who is hosting other than UEFA themselves. There's a bit about the production here: www.svgeurope.org 
[-] The following 3 users Like Transmission's post:
  • Brekkie, RhysJR, UTVLifer

I guess picking a semi final first might force the BBC's hand to then pick the second semi final as they wouldn't want ITV to have both of them, meaning ITV still effectively get first pick of the rest of the tournament.