The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

(22-06-2024, 02:07 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  The South Africa v. Wales match at Twickenham is a little bizarre.

S4C are using graphics in the Qatar Airways maroon, as is the world feed, but they are different. The English world feed graphics is the same as saw in the NZ v. SA fixture last year. S4C's are different, using what looks like the WRU's official typeface so possibly something from them.

Sky Sports is the most odd. They took the SuperSport South African build-up in full. Whilst I certainly welcome them showing the Southern hemisphere studio coverage (something they didn't do this morning on the Super Rugby for example), it seems a little odd to do for a test involving a home nation. SuperSport do have a prescence onsite, but took pre-match interviews from Martin Gillingham, who is now commentating for the world feed airing on Sky, alongside Jamie Roberts.

All just quite strange.

The Barbarians v. Fiji fixture at Twickenham on Sky is using the same graphics as the previous match, but with pink replacing the maroon/purple of that match.

Nick Heath and Tom May are having a very long day. They are covering this match, after commentating on the England match early this morning.

Glad I stuck with S4C then if Sky had Martin Gillingham!

(22-06-2024, 03:47 PM)rkolsen Wrote:  Probably asked this before. But NBC is carrying the Royal Ascot Day 5 (Days 1-4 were Sky Simulcasts). But on day 5 they go back to ITV Racing for races, interviews, and other things. Are there different rights to different races of the day?

They always seem to do this. I think it was suggested elsewhere it was a Quid Pro Quo thing with ITV's Breeders Cup coverage using NBC.

The ITV theme is really growing on me, it has got stuck in my head once or twice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • thomash79

(22-06-2024, 06:47 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  They always seem to do this. I think it was suggested elsewhere it was a Quid Pro Quo thing with ITV's Breeders Cup coverage using NBC.

I was going to ask does Sky do their own coverage?

Could this be one of the events that is mandated for a PSB?

No, it's not mandated. I believe Ascot sell their events separately to the other racecourses, or have done traditionally at least, but most, if not all, of ITV Racing, is on a non-exclusive basis either with Racing UK or Sky Sports Racing. Indeed I think Ascot is the only event where ITV can show every race of the day - usually the last couple of the day, including at the Cheltenham Festival and Grand National Meeting, are exclusive to the pay-TV operator.

Is a bit odd NBC would take some days from Sky and others from ITV. I guess they have a deal with ITV which enables them to take a certain number of days of coverage per year, which in the case of Royal Ascot probably includes the days of the big races but not the entire week.

ITV produce a world feed output, but I don't know if it's available every day, or only on days when there is a more interest. It may be that only the final day of Ascot has a world feed available and it's easier for NBC to take the Sky feed on the other days.

I do know VMTV get a feed with some, but not all ITV branding missing. They also have different titles with “Racing from _______” rather than “ITV Racing”.

Veteran RTE GAA commentator Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh has died at the age of 93.

He spent more than 60 years in broadcasting, taking it up full-time in 1985 after the retirement of the legendary Micheál O'Hehir.

www.rte.ie 

x.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Rdd, RhysJR

A legend of Irish sports radio. Will be sorely missed.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rdd's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990