BBC Radio 4 Pres

They should have made a six part documentary about them with the sixth episode slightly longer than the other five.....
[-] The following 10 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • ANE, chrisherald, Former Member 2410, lookoutwales, m_in_m, Snop, Spencer, stusoldvideo, SunburntRock89, TVNerd

Does anyone know what's happening to the BBC's line to Big Ben?

It was patchy on the Midnight News last night/this morning, and earlier at Six O'Clock it was essentially just silence, with no bong at all!

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...

In the old days there were separate feeds to Broadcasting House and Bush House. If either failed the alternative from the other site could be routed on internal circuits. I wonder if there is still that redundancy these days?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AndrewP

There was also an ISDN backup, which I still have the number for in my phone. (I never called it at a time it was meant to be on air!)
[-] The following 6 users Like thegeek's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, News Engineer, scottishtv, Steve in Pudsey, thePineapple

(02-05-2024, 10:44 PM)AndrewP Wrote:  Does anyone know what's happening to the BBC's line to Big Ben?

It was patchy on the Midnight News last night/this morning, and earlier at Six O'Clock it was essentially just silence, with no bong at all!

They use a live link? Just assumed it would be recorded, especially given Big Ben's Bongs have been out of action at times in recent years.

(03-05-2024, 07:01 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  They use a live link? Just assumed it would be recorded, especially given Big Ben's Bongs have been out of action at times in recent years.

They were using a recording during the works but the live link was restored once the works completed.

(03-05-2024, 07:09 AM)m_in_m Wrote:  They were using a recording during the works but the live link was restored once the works completed.

and if you ever go on a tour (highly recommended, though you have to be quick when they release dates as it sells out fast) you see the signs as you approach the top of the tower, telling you be quiet around certain times as the mics will pick it up.

(03-05-2024, 07:01 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  They use a live link? Just assumed it would be recorded, especially given Big Ben's Bongs have been out of action at times in recent years.

A recording was used between 2017 and last year, with the live feed restored on 6th November 2023. It's used for the Six O'Clock News and Midnight News bulletins daily (and I think for The Westminster Hour at 10pm on Sundays).
[-] The following 1 user Likes scottishtv's post:
  • Brekkie

The live feed has been fixed now.

And yes, they used a recording to introduce The Westminster Hour on Sundays

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...

You can sometimes here police sirens, protests, birdsong, etc on the live feed.
[-] The following 4 users Like bbctvtechop's post:
  • AndrewP, News Engineer, oscillon, scottishtv