Thread Closed

Channel 4 Pres: 2017 - Present

(10-11-2022, 10:02 AM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  Has the Channel 4 giant blockman completely gone now, nowhere to be seen? Instead of the occasionally outing when these new idents debuted?
Replying to myself:- No, it was seen before the Aldi show at 8.00pm tonight (at least).  Good to see it still in use, far superior to the generic new idents.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Juicy Joe's post:
  • DJ Dave

Has this white-ball version of Channel 4's Cricket ident aired before? It was shown this evening to promote the coverage of the T20 final tomorrow morning.

theident.gallery 

[Image: tig96x96.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew Wood's post:
  • Milkshake

Not the white variant, no. There was a red variant in 2021 for the Cricket World Cup.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.

The 4HD logo looks even more of a mess this morning alongside the Sky Sports Cricket live DOG
Interestingly All 4 seems to be taking a clean world feed featuring neither the 4 HD or Sky Sports logo.

(13-11-2022, 01:05 AM)Josh Wrote:  Not the white variant, no. There was a red variant in 2021 for the Cricket World Cup.

If that's new, you'd think they'd have also updated the 4 to the new version, rather than just recolouring the ball.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • Stuart

(13-11-2022, 11:31 AM)mnlbay Wrote:  The 4HD logo looks even more of a mess this morning alongside the Sky Sports Cricket live DOG
Interestingly All 4 seems to be taking a clean world feed featuring neither the 4 HD or Sky Sports logo.

Yeah, the spacing of the Channel 4 "HD" DOG is way too close. I don't know how you'd feasibly do it without modifying Sky's DOGs or placing your logo in front of the T20 logo.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Allanbuzzy's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

That white cricket ball ident was used for the 2019 Cricket World Cup, when C4 showed the highlights programmes throughout the tournament - my memory fails me as to whether it was used as an ident, or whether it was used as an animated slide for the announcer to talk over, but that animation was definitely seen then, so it’s not something new they cooked up for this time. (For the record, when C4 showed the live coverage of the 2019 World Cup Final that was introduced by the ‘blockman’ football ident.)

It was recoloured red for the 2021 test series against India, but the original was definitely the one seen today, which is why it wouldn’t have had the ‘new’ logo applied.

Just to prove my point, here’s a screengrab of a print ad (taken from the iPad version of the Times) from 2019 in which the white cricket ball with C4 logo imagery is used to advertise the highlights package.

Now that it's been mostly half a year since E4 Extra launched, I'm sorta just... miffed about it?

E4, as a channel, feels genuinely watered down, and I'm sure many forum posters share the same sentiments I have with the channel. At least in 2018, the E4 style wasn't... fully gone per say but signs definitely showed it was being more and more toned down, at least the Adult Swim shows kept in line with E4's unique style. The idents are still really good for a youth channel but shockingly unmatched with the new reality programming.

When E4 Extra launched, I genuinely did notice the scheduling of the main channel started to shift tremendously towards the MTV/ITV2/BBC Three crowd. E4 Extra looks more like the watchable channel for me, even though I don't watch TV as often as I used to. The acquisitions of Wipeout, Ninja Warrior and even Kitchen Nightmares makes me bizarrely annoyed that they're putting more effort in the offshoot SD channel, than the mainline HD channel.

It was clearly just an excuse to boot 4Music off Freeview and turn what was 4Music into a secondary channel. As if Channel 4 needs more of those (4seven, anyone?). I'm not saying the E4 brand needs to die, but it needs revaluation of what it really wants to be.

A Dave-styled tongue in cheek channel in line with its viewers? Or an Instagram/TikTok chasing channel?
[-] The following 3 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, SunburntRock89, what

(13-11-2022, 02:19 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  Now that it's been mostly half a year since E4 Extra launched, I'm sorta just... miffed about it?

E4, as a channel, feels genuinely watered down, and I'm sure many forum posters share the same sentiments I have with the channel. At least in 2018, the E4 style wasn't... fully gone per say but signs definitely showed it was being more and more toned down, at least the Adult Swim shows kept in line with E4's unique style. The idents are still really good for a youth channel but shockingly unmatched with the new reality programming.

When E4 Extra launched, I genuinely did notice the scheduling of the main channel started to shift tremendously towards the MTV/ITV2/BBC Three crowd. E4 Extra looks more like the watchable channel for me, even though I don't watch TV as often as I used to. The acquisitions of Wipeout, Ninja Warrior and even Kitchen Nightmares makes me bizarrely annoyed that they're putting more effort in the offshoot SD channel, than the mainline HD channel.

It was clearly just an excuse to boot 4Music off Freeview and turn what was 4Music into a secondary channel. As if Channel 4 needs more of those (4seven, anyone?). I'm not saying the E4 brand needs to die, but it needs revaluation of what it really wants to be.

A Dave-styled tongue in cheek channel in line with its viewers? Or a Instagram/TikTok chasing channel?

Something that I still don't quite understand about E4 Extra are the music videos in the morning......why are they airing music videos, what's the point?

(13-11-2022, 06:07 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  
(13-11-2022, 02:19 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  Now that it's been mostly half a year since E4 Extra launched, I'm sorta just... miffed about it?

A Dave-styled tongue in cheek channel in line with its viewers? Or a Instagram/TikTok chasing channel?

Something that I still don't quite understand about E4 Extra are the music videos in the morning......why are they airing music videos, what's the point?

Most likely because 4Music is no longer available on Freeview, so having music in the morning is a sort of substitute.
Thread Closed