GOLD is 30

Do they still have old copies of shows lying about? I know we‘ve seen in the past episodes of Keeping Up Appearances and The Vicar of Dibley with break slides from the 1997-01 era look for UKTV. I’m sure they’ve shown some of the latter Only Fools and Horses in 14:9 mode before now when the 16:9 episodes are easily available.

There does seem to be some garbage transfers of BBC content being given to UKTV right now though, for a several months now they seem to have been recieving copies of shows that are filmised and generally look terrible. It's affected several shows, like EastEnders, Howards Way and Some Mothers Do 'ave em, I won't be suprised if it affects the run of Casualty from episode 1 that starts tomorrow as well. This has been going on for months and seemingly hasn't been noticed or fixed, which speaks volumes for whatever quality control's in place.

And it does just seem to be new content and transfers coming from the BBC, not from elsewhere- for example it's not affecting the current run of The Bill which is also using new copies (all the past runs were in 4:3, these are 16:9 and with the new Fremantle logo at the end). Ironically though, this current batch of episodes from 2003 had always been filmised on all the previous UKTV runs across Gold, Drama and Watch/W dating back to when they first showed them in 2004- presumably a mistake Fremantle made at the time, this is the first time they've been shown by UKTV in 50i.
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • Ma76, Spencer

(25-05-2023, 10:13 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  Do they still have old copies of shows lying about? I know we‘ve seen in the past episodes of Keeping Up Appearances and The Vicar of Dibley with break slides from the 1997-01 era look for UKTV. I’m sure they’ve shown some of the latter Only Fools and Horses in 14:9 mode before now when the 16:9 episodes are easily available.
For some bizarre reason, there is a rogue episode of Red Dwarf (Marooned, which is the one where Lister and Rimmer get stranded on an ice planet) kicking around at UKTV. The print they play is from 'Red Dwarf Remastered' (which was when the model shots were replaced with poor CGI, and the whole thing got the filmic treatment in an attempt to better sell it around the world). The rest of the series is as normal, so I don't know why that particular episode is different.

(25-05-2023, 10:31 PM)James2001 Wrote:  There does seem to be some garbage transfers of BBC content being given to UKTV right now though, for a several months now they seem to have been recieving copies of shows that are filmised and generally look terrible. It's affected several shows, like EastEnders, Howards Way and Some Mothers Do 'ave em, I won't be suprised if it affects the run of Casualty from episode 1 that starts tomorrow as well. This has been going on for months and seemingly hasn't been noticed or fixed, which speaks volumes for whatever quality control's in place.

And it does just seem to be new content and transfers coming from the BBC, not from elsewhere- for example it's not affecting the current run of The Bill which is also using new copies (all the past runs were in 4:3, these are 16:9 and with the new Fremantle logo at the end). Ironically though, this current batch of episodes from 2003 had always been filmised on all the previous UKTV runs across Gold, Drama and Watch/W dating back to when they first showed them in 2004- presumably a mistake Fremantle made at the time, this is the first time they've been shown by UKTV in 50i.

I can only assume low quality filmised streaming copies keep being handed out by accident. In HD on GOLD, recent repeats Victoria Wood as Seen On TV look even more terrible, like watching a dodgy old DIVX. I can't believe nobody has flagged it. I emailed them about a similar PQ issue before and got no response.

(26-05-2023, 02:31 AM)stusoldvideo Wrote:  
(25-05-2023, 10:31 PM)James2001 Wrote:  There does seem to be some garbage transfers of BBC content being given to UKTV right now though, for a several months now they seem to have been recieving copies of shows that are filmised and generally look terrible. It's affected several shows, like EastEnders, Howards Way and Some Mothers Do 'ave em, I won't be suprised if it affects the run of Casualty from episode 1 that starts tomorrow as well. This has been going on for months and seemingly hasn't been noticed or fixed, which speaks volumes for whatever quality control's in place.

I can only assume low quality filmised streaming copies keep being handed out by accident. In HD on GOLD, recent repeats Victoria Wood as Seen On TV look even more terrible, like watching a dodgy old DIVX. I can't believe nobody has flagged it. I emailed them about a similar PQ issue before and got no response.
Try tweeting, those comments are read and passed on to the relevant teams

(25-05-2023, 10:31 PM)Studio7 Wrote:  For some bizarre reason, there is a rogue episode of Red Dwarf (Marooned, which is the one where Lister and Rimmer get stranded on an ice planet) kicking around at UKTV. The print they play is from 'Red Dwarf Remastered' (which was when the model shots were replaced with poor CGI, and the whole thing got the filmic treatment in an attempt to better sell it around the world). The rest of the series is as normal, so I don't know why that particular episode is different.

There are also episodes of Red Dwarf that have the late 90's / early 00's break slides burned in on them, one from Series 3 and another from Series 7 from memory. When Dave repeat them they still show up so they haven't bothered trimming them out of the copies they hold.

Drama rather than Gold but their repeat if the first ever episode of Casualty this morning from 1986 was a version created for a repeat for the 250th episode.

With regards to content, does GOLD offer anything different from their current staple of Dad's Army and non stop Only Fools and Horses? It always seems to me their schedules are very restrictive with large back to back days of Only Fools clogging up their schedules - this is one of the reasons why I ditched my Virgin Media TV subscription and went to Freesat, as the content on the channels I am paying for was not worth the money, and GOLD is now one of them.

Better off paying for BritBox through ITVX and you get a whole load more classic UK comedy, without the adverts.
[-] The following 2 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • Ma76, nwtv2003

It's because they're bankers that rates strongly for them (even though they've played them to absolute death) and helps towards SOCI for the network.

Okay I'll bite. SOCI? Do tell, please.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Ashley