BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

Understatement of the millennium: At least getting the regional variations onto the HD channel is massively overdue.

If numerous regional programmes are then produced/broadcast in upscaled SD for a (long or short) period thereafter, so be it. Removing the need for viewers to change channel has always been the key issue, in my humble opinion.

I wonder how many people have regularly ended up watching the subsequent evening schedule in SD because they forget/can't be bothered/don't care/don't percieve the picture quality difference to switch back at 7pm?

Many years from now, we may all be looking back on the Red Screen Of Death with misty-eyed nostalgia. It is just another one of those strange symptoms of the limitations of television during a particular time period, analogous to things like the test card, start-up & closedown routines, "afternoon programmes follow shortly", the UK Today era of digisat BBC One, etc etc.
[-] The following 8 users Like Former Member 406's post:
  • bkman1990, Happy2001, IanJRedman, interestednovice, London Lite, Steve in Pudsey, Stuart, TVFan

(21-02-2023, 02:37 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(21-02-2023, 02:32 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  Could the difference in abbreviations be on purpose, to help tell them apart?
I'm not sure what you mean.  Nothing I have suggested is duplicated or given scope for misinterpretation.

For example, EMid and WM are easier to tell apart than EM and WM.

(23-02-2023, 09:59 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  
(21-02-2023, 02:37 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I'm not sure what you mean.  Nothing I have suggested is duplicated or given scope for misinterpretation.
For example, EMid and WM are easier to tell apart than EM and WM.
Not if you can read, and that's what you're looking for on Freesat.  On Sky/Freesat it's irrelevant, as you'll get the correct region anyway on 101.

If you're scanning for some other region, then quite honestly EM couldn't mean anything else in the UK. To say otherwise is somewhat ridiculous.

I can tell the difference between SW, NE, WM, EM, SE, NW . . . I doubt there are many people who can't.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • chaose, Former Member 406

(23-02-2023, 11:54 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(23-02-2023, 09:59 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  For example, EMid and WM are easier to tell apart than EM and WM.
Not if you can read, and that's what you're looking for on Freesat.  On Sky/Freesat it's irrelevant, as you'll get the correct region anyway on 101.

If you're scanning for some other region, then quite honestly EM couldn't mean anything else in the UK. To say otherwise is somewhat ridiculous.

I can tell the difference between SW, NE, WM, EM, SE, NW . . . I doubt there are many people who can't.

That's the point - as a viewer you are most likely to only ever see your region, so there's no need to enforce a consistency to appease the nerdy few - especially if there's a use in making them more visually different as names for internal reasons, perhaps.

(24-02-2023, 01:23 AM)bilky asko Wrote:  That's the point - as a viewer you are most likely to only ever see your region, so there's no need to enforce a consistency to appease the nerdy few - especially if there's a use in making them more visually different as names for internal reasons, perhaps.
The point is you're watching a REGIONAL version. It should be differentiated by the fewest letters possible as a consistent policy.

That's 2 or 3 characters, with no unnecessary squashing into the HD at the end of the name on the EPG which just looks very messy and sets off my OCD. Tongue

Internally they have only ever been identified by 2 letters relating to the location of the broadcast centre, and it's not the ones used on the new regional HD services.

A brief look at how BBC One South East HD switches back to the network feed on Breakfast this morning.

youtu.be 

(24-02-2023, 01:38 PM)London Lite Wrote:  A brief look at how BBC One South East HD switches back to the network feed on Breakfast this morning.

youtu.be 
There are some very dodgy, off message hybrid Breakfast/regional news graphics doing the rounds at the moment.

That one, on the screen in the background, designed to have a hint of the pre-2018 Breakfast titles is pretty special though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • interestednovice

(24-02-2023, 09:09 PM)Spencer Wrote:  
(24-02-2023, 01:38 PM)London Lite Wrote:  A brief look at how BBC One South East HD switches back to the network feed on Breakfast this morning.

youtu.be 
There are some very dodgy, off message hybrid Breakfast/regional news graphics doing the rounds at the moment.

That one, on the screen in the background, designed to have a hint of the pre-2018 Breakfast titles is pretty special though.
It does feel like something that could be designed centrally and better reflect the branding of both Breakfast and the relevant regional programme.
[-] The following 1 user Likes m_in_m's post:
  • interestednovice

(25-02-2023, 06:59 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  
(24-02-2023, 09:09 PM)Spencer Wrote:  There are some very dodgy, off message hybrid Breakfast/regional news graphics doing the rounds at the moment.

It does feel like something that could be designed centrally and better reflect the branding of both Breakfast and the relevant regional programme.
Absolutely. GMB do a good job of providing on-brand graphics for the regional bulletins. Even the original BBC Breakfast Time managed to organise some sort of consistency across the regions by using the rising sun logo with the regional name below on the studio backdrops.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • interestednovice

I suspect that was more for the benefit of the network programme (when those studios were used for DTL contributions) than the opt outs.
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • interestednovice, Spencer